Free shots at Nico
I agree, it wasn't trolling... now whether or not I think that it was necessary is another point altogether. That being said, I don't know the history between you two. Ah, whatever, I'm sure Nico doesn't really give a rat's ass, anyways.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Quote:This does smack as a bit of a gloat. Not the best way to win one's good graces.

Quite right; it could indeed be seen as such.

Not my intention, Rhydd, I assure you. It was a (perhaps badly directed) combination of actually being at a loss for ideas, coupled with a (perhaps equally badly directed) thought that it could be made to be a bit of fun. The fact that said "fun" (and hopefully creative ideas) could be achieved at my own expense seemed harmless enough at the time.

I apologize for anything resembling a gloat, Rhydd. That was and would be a classless maneuver on my own part.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Quote:*tips helm*

Just remember who has that helm of yours... ;)
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
I Like:

Second scariest Lurker

You're the second to the last guy around here I would want to get in any kind of Internet argument with. You're only out done by Pete, who everyone knows is some kind of program/bot anyway :P
Numsay,Jul 24 2003, 04:50 PM Wrote:Second scariest Lurker
I like that one, very accurate as well :)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Quote:You're only out done by Pete, who everyone knows is some kind of program/bot anyway

If Bostic read the Lounge, Nico would be third. "Caustic" Bostic and Pete seem to be spiritual brothers sometimes. :ph34r:

But even Pete would be unseated by Landru. Too bad he's been offline for awhile (and I don't think his code could be modified to trawl the Lounge, anyway).

I miss Landru.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Y'know, I've never heard of a "bot" like Landru that works with a "modern" (Pick your own definition) discussion board software, but I do suppose that it's somehow possible.

Gonna have to pinhole the resident PHP/forum coder that I know the next time he shows his face. Chances are that if it could be done, he should know.

Oh, and "Wanker Whacker?" Don't like it 'cause I'm British, and I gather that the word 'wanker' has a different definition in the US and the UK.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,Jul 24 2003, 02:01 PM Wrote:Oh, and "Wanker Whacker?" Don't like it 'cause I'm British, and I gather that the word 'wanker' has a different definition in the US and the UK.
It came about after reading the link that's in Nico's sig.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Ghostiger has enough to eat as it is.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Not a Hell Hound, but you got my bad inside joke perfectly! :)

The Hell Hounds, Tempus was one and the baddest of them all originally, were the eight "elite" bodyguard sorts the Kittykat brought down with him from Ranke, IIRC. I need to find those books, they are so good. Lynn Abbey recently published another yarn in the form of a novel, focusing on Molin Torcholder and some other folks in Sanctuary. Pretty good story, 10 or 15 years later. The followers of Dyreela figure in it prominently.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

If Bostic read the Lounge, Nico would be third. "Caustic" Bostic and Pete seem to be spiritual brothers sometimes.

Yeah, fortunately Bostic and I were usually on the same side of an issue. BTW, our real names differ by one letter, talk about coincidence. When we weren't, it usually ended up in a tie, with the spectators being the winners :)

I miss Landru.

Me too. And the suckers who tried to flame him :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Once again Roland calls me a troll because he can.

Maybe I should start posting an insulting name every time he says something I disagree with.
Hail Refrigerator,

Check my FAQ (the FAQ needs updating, but the troll content is fine).
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
It is not a bit of US slang, it is as far as I know Brit slang. It is only used by those Americans who have been exposed to what a Wanker is.

The American equivalent is, generally:

Jackoff
Jagoff
Jagov (the Pittsburgh variant)
Jerkoff

And on to such poetic versions as

Pud Bender
Monkey Spanker
Weasel Wrestler
Mink Milker
Sausage Squeezer
Rod Rubber
Rod Wholloper (imported from Australia, that term!)

and so on.

Its connotation can be taken both literally, as in Onanism, or in a more figurative sense, as in one who expends energy in a worthless or pointless pursuit, or one having little clue, or one who is a collasal screw up, or all of the above. :) A general term of derision.

The term is generally male in implication. I would appreciate any education available on such perjoratives of similar connotation used to refer to the fairer sex, but for some reason I don't think this particular epithet necessarily has a tit for tat (sorry for the pun) equivalent equal on the distaff side. In the words of George Carlin, I suspect that Wanker, like urinal, is only 50% universal! :)

So, in summary, when you say Wanker, it means Wanker with the same meaning as in The Queen's Own! :D

It's sort of like saying the Mexican word "Tortilla." It means . . . Tortilla! :)
In Memory of Pete
Quote:'Tender Love and Care', either.

Uh oh, has someone changed all of the old terms on me while I was sleeping?

I always heard it as:

"Tender Loving Care."

Man, I just can't keep track of all this new stuff.

"There is no spoon!"

No fooling!
In Memory of Pete
"Canis Lurkus"?
Garnered Wisdom --

Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Who in the hell is Nicodemus Phaulkon?

Oh, I'm just kidding.

JS
Would that mean you're our Dog Star?

Sorry, not being entirely Sirius with that one.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Your title could be "The titleless one." :)
Or, you could be the flaming dog! :rolleyes: Wait, that doesn't sound right...
Lounge's oldest dog? ;)
You could have "Do you have the puppy inside?" :D
"Canis Lurkus Ferus"

Works for me. Thanks to everyone that put in their barbs and ideas with good-natured humor.

Thank you to Chaer and Occhi for their ideas, and Brista for echoing the neat coincidence with "Nikodemos" of Thieves' World and the congratulations. Thanks also to gekko, Striker, Refrigerator, Obi1.10Kenobi and pakman for the suggestions and congratulations. Thanks to Ducky for reminding me that she has my helm.

Thanks to Nitefox and Occhi for the British-masturbation-slang debate. :P

And thank you to Ghostiger for yet another round of incoherent posts; your reputation remains intact. In a thread consisting of 36 (at the moment) posts, 15 of them relate to your initial post. Trolling is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose... but definitions tend to be objective. Thank you for posting, regardless... I was amused by your continuing application of the deadly "broken record" technique. Very avant-garde.

I had fun! I hope you all did as well.

*tips helm... and reluctantly returns it to Ducky*
Garnered Wisdom --