Thinking cap
Is there a way to "alter" the items found withing the game. My interest is in the thinking cap: Armor 4, Dur 1, mana +30, Spells increase +2 levels.
It is a unique item
Keeper of Nightworld
That depends on what you mean by "altering"...
You can alter the durability of TC(painful 1!) by clicking on the hidden shrine while wearing only TC-it gets +10 dur. Find another Hidden Shrine- +10 dur,and so on...
Any other "altering" is considered cheating,AFAIK.
maybe you should mention here that hidden shrines can have the opposite effect too ...

It is supposed to take durability from one item (e.g. your armor , your weapon or shield ...) and transfer it too another ( preferrably your thinking cap).
Are you sure wearing just the TC will make it better Puma? I'd think it could loose durability then.
small comfort here is that hidden shrines can't destroy your TC. durability 1 is the lowest it can get.
I would not recommmend wearing a durabilty 1 TC though. One hit on the head and it could break leavinbg you only some TC shreds and no more +2 spells.
Hi,

You can alter the durability of TC(painful 1!) by clicking on the hidden shrine while wearing only TC

You'll never get the TC above durability 1 that way. The way a Hidden shrine works (IIRC) is that it increases the durability of each of the possible items by 10, then decreases one by 20. It will never set an item below 1, so the TC would never increase.

The right way to do it is to wear four items (hat, shirt, shield and weapon) if possible. Then the probability of improving the TC is 75% (ignoring the initialization error bug). If you only wear three items (hat, shirt, two handed weapon), then the odds for improving the TC drop to 66%,

Some people recommend using junk gear in the other three slots. That's stupid. With four items, each Hidden shrine will increase the durability of each item by 5 on the average. If you wear all good gear, in the long run it all gets better. If you wear junk, then you end up with high durability junk (or, more likely, you end up throwing away an average of 15 durability points per shrine).

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I wasn't thinking about cheating, that would be the ultimate sin for gaming. :angry: I just wanted to know if TC could be altered, as other unique items state altered durability.

Since I have an info site thanks to merciless, I'll learn about hidden shrines.
Keeper of Nightworld
Just to clarify, when a unique item says it has "altered durability", that means that this unique item has a different durability from other items of that base type. It does not mean that it has different durability from other instances of the same unique item.

IIRC, the Thinking Cap is a good example of this. All Thinking Caps say they have "altered durability", because they start with 1 durability instead of 20 like a normal skull cap.

Point being: every Thinking Cap you find will have 1 durability. You can, however, raise that durability by finding Hidden Shrines as others have mentioned.
Have tested 2 shrines, one says magic is not what it seems to be, it caused a blue glow around the split shield and the armour (forgot the name already) next time I started fighting the shield lost durability as well as the armour.

The other, message box said: way can be seen when viewed from above, the map now has a shaded area for walls, all openings and passage ways are easier to wonder in and of course killing.
Keeper of Nightworld
The first shrine is an Enchanted Shrine. One of your spells loses 1 level, while all other learned spells gain 1 level. Extremely handy.

The second shrine is a Secluded Shrine, which is pure crap. Why would you want to see the whole map for? You don't know where you haven't been and it's much harder to navigate.
"Magic is not what it seems to be" = Enchanted Shrine = Lose one to two spell levels for one spell (depending on slvl - 15 or more it's 2, less than 15 it's 1) but all other spells up one level. This shrine should not have had any effect on your gear, just your spells.

"The way is clear when viewed from above" = Secluded Shrine which reveals the map for the entire level. To be avoided, IMO, if you like to know where you've been and where you haven't. I don't bother with them.

I think you need one of these. Shrine List

Are you aware of the FOS shrines? That's Fascinating, Ornate & Sacred. (Or as someone put it "Find Other Shrines.") These shrines reduced mana permanently and most players avoid them too.

Good luck.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!