Diablo X, Things, and Such
Good day to the proud and upright regulars of the Lounge! Before I begin, I would like to thank you for the lovely forums and the reminiscent atmosphere. We each share one thing in common: a pathetic love for an old classic :P

That said, I will get to the point of my post. A friend of mine brought to my attention certain previous posts about a so-called legitimate society on Diablo – Diablo Retail X, or, as it currently stands, Diablo X. As I began to read, I was not only astonished by the quick-to-judge and self-appointed connoisseurs of legitimacy, but appalled by the amounts of misinformation, generalization, and stereotyping from those who know little or nothing about the society.

[Quote] "Although a couple of friends of mine are regular to that channel I will have to say that almost every 'legit' found on it actually are fake, sharing the same setup consisted of imported items." -Steinherz

Steinherz, my friend, you have over-stepped your boundaries. Many seem to forget that there are no longer gavels available for diablo channels, and therefore, any person has the right to join a channel of his or her preference unhindered. Even so, save a handful of people who I am very well aware of, the *vast* majority of regulars seek legitimacy and purity as devoutly as you or I. In fact, I encourage you to put your money where your mouth is and show me a single pair of persons with the same setup of imported items. For the past year I, and many friends of mine, have been cleaning up East and the numerous imports. I believe you know of my compendium of high-end legitimate items stating where, when, and by whom items were found.

Please, show some integrity; Do not stereotype a channel from a sampling. In fact, I find it extremely offensive the way many people in DSF-1 handle newcomers or fresh legits. Because legitimacy is personal and undeterminable, one can only be responsible for him or herself. The arrogance and unnecessary condascending remarks that I have seen in DSF-1 would make me embarassed to call myself a regular here. Rather than ostracize people for their shortcomings, respectfully teach them. Of the few people who have sported imports, few knew any better, but most were more than willing to get rid of, and learn how to prevent, imports. I believe one of the main reasons that there are so few legitimists today stems from disdainful attitudes.

In literal indignation, Diablo X has a solid foundation of knowledgable, practical legits who simply enjoy playing the game the way it was meant to be played. Furthermore, anyone legitimate or interested in playing legitimately is whole-heartedly welcome to visit my channel and play a game. Thank you for your time and patience,

Duke_of_Anarchy
Well said Duke, and very true.
I concur.
Yo. Not all of us at DSF-1 on USWest are that bad, just thought i'd like to point out. Even then the clientele has decreased significantly lately, so people are curious as to if a "new character" could be infact an old timer hiding behind a new name. We mean no offense if we ask who you are, even though even I sometimes I see hidden malice behind others comments in channel.

One quick thing, Steinherz isn't generally here much anymore, and has been out of the scene for quite a bit since he's studying hard to apply for a course at a tough school. Perhaps he had the unfortunate luck of meeting some of the less dubious people in the channel, and none of the "regulars" who are legit came at the same time he did, meaning his "stereotypes" were based on what he saw of the whole...(yes i'm waffling. time to go.)
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
FWIW, I think this post could've been in the pinned Meet'n'Greet. More-or-less what it's there for.

Quote:Please, show some integrity; Do not stereotype a channel from a sampling. In fact, I find it extremely offensive the way many people in DSF-1 handle newcomers or fresh legits.

I like how those lines go together. While a certain number of DSF-1 regulars are reflexively rude to and interrogate newcomers, it's not indicative of everyone. (Though the boorish are the loudest.) I would say these few make it very irksome to get involved with the DSF-1 community, however.

Quote:Rather than ostracize people for their shortcomings, respectfully teach them.

Now I wonder how much you know of what you're talking about. From what I've seen, DSF-1 treats cheaters and AOL-ese with a "shape up or ship out" attitude. These people don't want to change. Some even become recurrent trolls.

So, other than cheating and AOL-ese, what "shortcomings" do you see that should be "taught" differently? And why is it any channel's job to change someone just because they wander in?

Quote:I believe one of the main reasons that there are so few legitimists today stems from disdainful attitudes.

Disdainful of what? Cheaters? In the olden days, anti-cheaterism was applauded. It bound legits together. It cemented many communities. If someone wanted to go legit, they were welcome to try. I don't see that that's changed.

In essence, attitude goes both ways. Newbies who don't want to play legit won't, even with the most persistent nudging. Veterans who don't want to spin the mournful Tragedy of Bnet for the newbie won't. They'll cut to the chase: Are you in or out? And then both will get back to gaming.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Quote:I encourage you to put your money where your mouth is

I did not get your idiomatic expression.

Quote:For the past year I, and many friends of mine, have been cleaning up East and the numerous imports. I believe you know of my compendium of high-end legitimate items stating where, when, and by whom items were found.

If you’re really into a crusade of some sort, allow me to ask why individuals quoted in the two topics which covered the channel are still regulars? On my last visit months ago ( situation might’ve changed since then, perhaps? ), it seemed that Mr.MetaRaptor persisted with his uncanny amusing ability. Back to the same day...

[Image: drx.jpg]

Im my point of view, in order to build a healthy and legitimate environment, it is necessary to have some control with channel regulars.

Also, back to the “crusade”, have a visit in the channel Diablo BRA-1 in the East Gateway; I am sure there you will find a couple dozen “coincidences”, a place filled with “legits”.

Quote:The arrogance and unnecessary condascending remarks that I have seen in DSF-1 would make me embarassed to call myself a regular here. Rather than ostracize people for their shortcomings, respectfully teach them.

Trolls, item beggars and other individuals who have absolutely nothing to add to a community ought to be ignored.

I’d put myself exactly in the opposite situation. You don’t earn all the knowledge from the game by simply playing it; and I stand here, in the solid proof from my statement. That’s the reason I can’t stand the conversations from players who claim that did this or that when it surely contradicts the way the game works.

[Image: duke.jpg]

Respect, in any case, should be mutual.

PS: I am rarely logging on Battle.Net nowadays, just in case.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
as to the quote about wyrms an hydras items, you see to have missed the sarcasim with which those comments were said, as i was present for the argument, i can assure you, you missed the point

as to metaraptor, i am happy to say that the expoter has not been seen in at least a month
Quote:That’s the reason I can’t stand the conversations from players who claim that did this or that when it surely contradicts the way the game works.

I once had a rather annoying conversation with a pair of "legits" (KIN clansters) that wandered into DSF-1. I don't know how we got onto the topic, but both claimed that they had been able to buy Holy Full Plates (and above) from Wirt. They insisted that his price cap was "bugged", which resulted in the occasional offerings of some outlandish items at rock-bottom prices.

I refuted the statements.

When I quoted JG, they said Jarulf didn't know [expletive]. They said his guide was wrong, and I was an idiot for believing it. They cited "gaming experience", but I also had a fair bit of that same ammunition myself. I ended up having to squlech them both due to extreme "LOL wut a LOOOZER!" statements. Fun stuff.

I also used to run a bot in DSF-1 :ph34r: It had the ability to read the major stats of Diablo 1 clients logged into the channel (this information is, or at least was, readily broadcasted to all clients -- but the only clients set up to decipher the information were bots). I used to see all sorts of "legits" join DSF-1 with crazy, hacked-up stats. I've read Armin's Stance on Scanners, so I knew never to fully trust the information my bot gave me. But time and time again, after a few well-worded whispered queries, I learned that the stats displayed to me were 100% correct.

So yeah, I used to jump down the throats of newcomers who joined with a clvl 20 Mage with PERFECT stats and 3 billion gold pieces. It was more common than you think.

The end result was that I never fully trusted an unknown "legit" that landed in DSF-1, if I hadn't seen him/her post on Battle.net's old Diablo Strategy Forum first. That's not to say that I've never become good gaming buddies with non-DSFers, though. There are quite a few people who used to hang out in DSF-1 that never posted in DSF, who hold the same ideals of being legit as I do. Maybe even more so.

The long and short of the matter is that no-one can just join DSF-1, declare to all "I am Legit!", and be immediately accepted as such. It sucks, but that's the way it is. Building trust takes time. You cannot force it upon someone.

-DeeBye