Level 15
I don't get a chance to find out which being is firing yellow flames at me. What are they and what is best to kill them?

figured that I could kill the snow witches with fire. Still haven't found the right combination for protection from evil.

playing warrior
griswald's blade
amulet of strength
ring of brilliance
harlequin crest
arkaine armor
Keeper of Nightworld
visit here:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/diablo/index.html

scroll down and click on 'monsters' and choose which enemy you need to know more about.

that site helped me better understand the game....big time
Thanks for the link MERCILESS it is what I was needing.

The game is about to become interesting.
Keeper of Nightworld
Those yellow flames are from soul burners i kill them with chain lightning or lightning. :P
"Darkness and evil shall fall back to the burning hells within and light shall rule the lands of the good."
How much lightening (hps) do they take? I get creamed before I can cast a spell, there are so many of them. They come from everywhere (so it seems)
Keeper of Nightworld
Forget the lightning, you're a warrior! Peek into the room where the flames come at you, and then retreat a few steps out of the room and around a corner. Try to chop the heads off the witches as they spin around the corner looking for you. The projectiles they shoot qualify as "magic" so any "magic resistance" items you may have might help.

The key to killing witches with a warrior is good footwork. This ambush at the corner I mentioned is only one of many methods to get within range of witches. The key thing is to make sure you do not chase after them into unexplored territory, as this will wake up even more witches and create a bigger problem.
Nystul,Jul 21 2003, 08:01 PM Wrote:Forget the lightning, you're a warrior!  Peek into the room where the flames come at you, and then retreat a few steps out of the room and around a corner.  Try to chop the heads off the witches as they spin around the corner looking for you.  The projectiles they shoot qualify as "magic" so any "magic resistance" items you may have might help.

The key to killing witches with a warrior is good footwork.  This ambush at the corner I mentioned is only one of many methods to get within range of witches.  The key thing is to make sure you do not chase after them into unexplored territory, as this will wake up even more witches and create a bigger problem.
Exactly!
Well, tried the old fighters trick of ambush. It works, get a few to follow and they die screaming. :P
Keeper of Nightworld
The problem is that you won't always have the perfect ambush spot.

The answer to killing witches is simple: Telekill.
This site helped my a lot with my first warrior and witches.

Yurup's Witch Hunting Guide

The site it's on is Da-kota's Diablo DSF Glossary. You'll find a lot of good articles there.

Knowledge is power!
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
The problem is that you won't always have the perfect ambush spot.

Once you made it to the first entry-way, you have a "perfect" ambush point. Since the area around the stairs is always relatively clear, you can make it to such a point 90% of the time without encountering a single witch. If you do happen to run into a few, you can always loop behind them and drive them into the "corners" on the back side of the stairs.

The answer to killing witches is simple: Telekill.

Uhh, when was the last time you played a single player warrior? Good luck getting enough magic adders to learn teleport, finding a teleport book, and having enough mana to actually cast the spell frequently. Plus, if you are able to meet all of those requirements, teleporting forward into witches is likely to get you killed. Telekill is a nice speed tool for overpowered characters, but not much use to people who are getting slaughtered by witches (especially on normal difficulty/ single player!) and need advice.
I dicovered that I can get a few to follow me, there are a couple of corners the second my mouse identifies on Hack away. I just make sure that I have lots of mana and healing various other useful scrolls.

What is this tele kill? I have seen teleport and elemental don't know what they do or how to use them, the fun I'll have finding out :lol:
Keeper of Nightworld
Tele-kill is a battle tactic where you use a really fast weapon (Sword of Speed, or Sword of Haste as examples) in combination with Infravision (cast from scrolls) and the Teleport Spell (which is learned by the character). Infravision allows you to see enemies behind walls, and by careful employment of Teleport, you can transport yourself to their location and begin attacking immediately-- if executed right, before the monster can react and is then put into stunlock (a condition where they are hit often and hard enough to keep them wincing in pain) until they are killed.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hi,

TK can be used (and is often used) without the infravision. If enough damage is being done and resists are maxed, then a TK warrior can jump from target to target and kill each while the rest of the pack is moving away, or at least before they can line up and get too many shots off.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

To get ahold of a Teleport book, how about reading glasses and Adria Shopping? That should do the trick. :)

Or, does Adria's Inventory only change "at level ups?" For some reason, I thought that if you buy a scroll from her, other than TP, it would reset her SP inventory and you might get another book.

Sorry, memory foggy.

EDIT added, per Jarulf's Guide 1.62:

Quote:Adria has an unlimited supply of Potions of Mana, Potions of Full Mana and scrolls of Town Portal. In addition to those, Adria offers 7 to 14 random base items with a qlvl in the range below. She will renew her inventory each time you come back up from the dungeons or reload the game in single player.

Ilvl= dlvl at Adria in SP. (Hmm, I forget: is the SP "dlvl" term set at the greatest dlvl you have achieved? For some reason, I think so. However, if not, then "Adria shopping from the Cats" in SP would never get you a new Teleport book. You'd have to TP from 15, back and forth . . . time consuming. Better to just spend the time cornering witches and laying the smackdown on them, eh?)

Qlvl for Teleport Books = 14.

If the fellow is on level 15 in the dungeon, it is possible that he could eventually buy a Teleport Book from Adria, and with suitable reading glasses, read it and use the spell for telekill. :) That would take some work, and some Adria shopping, though, or some luck in book droppage. The other down side is that there is finite gold available via sold items and gold found in SP.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I'm not trying to suggest that it's impossible to telekill in single player, merely that it's impractical. Even if he successfully buys the book, where does he get the readers from? Even if he has the readers, is he willing to wear them into the dungeon to have enough mana to cast teleport multiple times per blue potion? Will he be drinking these blues off his belt, and if so, what method of healing will he employ? Is the character "tough" enough to endure the bloodstars from fighting witches in the same room they spawn in?

Being a "good" telekiller requires not only player skill, but a lot of character preparation. Ideally, it involves high end equipment, high stats, and lots of shrine runs. A single player warrior might squeak out enough magical ability to be able to telekill, but I find it hard to believe he will really be prepared to use it efficiently. It certainly wouldn't top my list of advice to give fairly new Diablo players trying to finish the game for the first time.
I agree with you Nystul. My old sp warrior was played many games(cannot imagine doing that now), got to level 31(geez), had excellent gear and never did learn to teleport. He used phase to park Diablo in the maze so he could clear out the lair.
My mana and magic have not gotten high enough to use the Teleport. I get to level 23 when I reach the last level. I even try to get items that boost the magic but have not been able to get high enough to teleport. Course, I am still new at playing.

Thanks for the info and will try different tactics when playing to see what happens.
Keeper of Nightworld