Tony Blair: Eloquence Illustrated
Hi,

Kings get hammered plenty often, as do presidents.

I suspect your view on this is colored a bit by the British monarchs. From William the Bastard down, the British monarchs needed the support of the nobles to get anything done. That didn't change until the interregnum after which it was pretty much the consent of Parliament. So the British monarchs have been pretty limited. Compare the French and Russian.

I still think that Brits, Aussies and Canucks have more of a sense that the PM is their employee, and less their ruler, than Americans with their president.

Going to agree with you here, at least insofar as the American public look upon the president as the "leader" of the country. As defined in the Constitution, his job is executive, i.e., to enforce the laws that Congress passes. Occhi's remarks earlier about the president's agenda are a big indicator of what has gone wrong with this country. The president should have no more of an agenda than should a street cop. Both have the same job, albeit at different levels. Both are there not to make the laws but simply to enforce it.

This extends to the much touted "Commander in Chief" role. The president is indeed the CiC of the armed forces. As such he should decide how many forces of what types to use to fight the wars *that Congress declares*.

The fact that we have a president who is, for at least his term in office, as powerful as many historical monarchs is directly due to the stupidity of the common man. Not capable of thinking for himself, not able to understand the concept of the supremacy of the people, the average person looks for someone to follow. He gives up his position as the ruler of himself to some party hack. Jefferson must be crying, and Hamilton chuckling, "I told you so."

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Granted it fun to rip on power, but a strong leader has his/her uses.

If you look at history when most countries are at their most powerful and exert the greatest influence they have stong leaders.(of you course you can make a good arguement that countries with great influance are a bad thing.)

What the US system attempts is guaranteed strong leader, no matter what the leaders personal abilities. I would say it is moderately successful in this.
Hi,

Read (or re-read, as the case might be) the Constitution of the USA. There's a copy at http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDERAL/usconst.html

Note in particular the powers granted to each branch and, especially the tenth amendment. Now look at the reality.

What the US system attempts is guaranteed strong leader, no matter what the leaders personal abilities. I would say it is moderately successful in this.

That is what the system does *now* after a civil war, two great world wars, two major depressions, fifty plus years of cold war, etc. etc. That is *not* what the system was set up to do. Which is better? We'll never know since one is what actually happened, the other is but a dream. However, in terms of freedom, the Constitution as written is much greater than the government that has grown from it. And I do mean "freedom", not some half assed "rights" which are much more beneficial to criminals working the system than to the average law abiding citizen.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Somehow, I find it hard to envision anyone looking at Margaret Thatcher, when she was the PM, as "an employee." I'd also suggest that leadership of one's party, such as a Prime Minister exercises, translates rather quickly into leadership of a government if the person in question understands how to lead. Helmut Kohl, anyone? Teddy Roosevelt, anyone? For that matter, FDR. Not every politician is a good leader, even if he or she is an excellent politician. LBJ comes to mind.

The ultimate example of a President as public servant would be our first: Washington. Since he believed so strongly in the cause, his term was coloured by his drive to keep what had been wrought vital and effective. His departing comments on his antipathy for "policital parties" and their inherent evils showed how rare a man he was: one of the few, possibly the only president we had, who could rise above party affiliation.

Not every citizen views a nation's leader the same. There were people like my paternal grandmother who thought that Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the greatest leader ever, a man to be revered, while at the same time there were folks, like my maternal grandfather, who viewed Roosevelt through less rose colored lenses, and held that "FDR lied and deceived us into a war!" The current president is hardly seen as "our fearless leader" by a reasonably vocal part of our populace, to include our old friend Grumpy. :o

Some presidents lead better than others. That tells me much about how folks are attracted to high office, and what the system has become.

Our system has evolved, and continues to evolve, and the pendulum swings back and forth. What troubles many is the general lack of folks who seek high office with a sincere, and most importantly _sustainable_ drive toward service. Maybe it is unfashionable to seek to serve, maybe not.

As for the sabers and a duel, we could instead duel with Guinness: first one to pass out loses and pays for both cabs home! :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I know what the Constitution says. I never said it spoke otherwise.

Im speaking about why we have what we have.

The truth is what was set up wasnt workable. If we had went by the rules we might still have slavery or the S might be the Confederacy.

Im not saying what we have is perfect but your wistful talk about Jeffersonian ideals sounds naive to my ears. The world is pragmatic.
BBC accuses Blair of lying to parliment over Iraq.
Blair denies
Parliment investigates
Gov't official David Kelly commits suicide two days after testimony
BBC admits Kelly was its source on the 45-minute flap, Kelly had denied it.
BBC journalist on this story, Gilligan, is a long time opponent of Blair

Washington Post 20 July 2003

What the heck is going on?

I have no insight into Brit domestic politics, so I don't know how to interpret the recent headlines. Has the BBC destroyed its credibility in a bungled partisan attack on Blair?
Growler

"To excuse such an atrocity by blaming U.S. government policies is to deny the basic idea of all morality: that individuals are responsible for their actions." -- Salman Rushdie writing of September 11th
Growler,Jul 20 2003, 07:23 PM Wrote:Has the BBC destroyed its credibility in a bungled partisan attack on Blair?
Sounds to me like our Secret Service bumped off an embarassing anti-Government witness :ph34r: