I think I know why revives appear weak
I had tried using revives before in early levels but found they died in one hit.

Thinking that basically revives were very weak, on my next necro test character I didn't bother with them at all till really high levels when i had points to burn.

As you know by only summoning 1 at a time you can see a revives health bar, with more you just get a number. I had seen phrozen keep reported revives as being weak aswell but what I noticed with just one is that seconds after creating a revive its life drops to a sliver on the health bar.

This happened every time I tried to revive a monster, and different types aswell. It's either a time period or when they first move that the health bar goes from full to a sliver.

This is why i htought they were so weak and died in one hit, because they basically had no health. After casting life tap things seem to right themselves or a quick drink at a well.

My thoughts here is that initially the revive is created with its usual amount of hit points yet when the SM bonus is factored in the health of the revive freaks out and gets set to like 1.

Further testing with now healthy revives proves that they can tank just as well as they used to, I and alot of ohter people missed this because you generally spam revive over a battlefield to raise alot of revives at once and not just one.
Even if you get them to full health, they still dont match skells for tanking power.
yeah, very true.
Well, isn't it well-known by now? Revives have a bug and because of it are raised with 1 hitpoint. If you want to use them, better to raise 10 at the same time, with no monsters around, and head back to town to regenerate.
err no it wasn't obvious. I haven't seen it documented here, or any other D2 site. And they are raised with full hit points, they just drop to a sliver after a few seconds. The last time we talked about weak revives people were putting it down to monsters with low hit points.

So no again it wasn't obvious, and if it was to you why didn't you bring it up earlier in the other necro threads?
Feature argument: once raised, revive needs some life force to come to full power. Curse provided? LIfe Tap.

Bug: a wrap around error, or a flag in the wrong place, or . . . who knows.

Feature sounds true, but it may be a bug.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Eh with all the weird things sets do on various actions I'm inclined to think this is a bug. Heck they might even be related.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I could see it being a feature, if they were defensively or offensively superior to skeletons. But it sounds as if now, no NPC or summons has any offensive capability.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote: So no again it wasn't obvious, and if it was to you why didn't you bring it up earlier in the other necro threads?

Probably because it's already in at least two other threads, including one of mine.

Seek and ye shall find, so sayeth The Hermit.

"Prying open my third eye." Tool - Third Eye
Argument against Feature: if it was applied as a game feature, it could only have been done under the context of storyline and not game balance. A storyline reconcilliation for this "feature" makes no sense, since the Necromancer's Revive skill is meant to impart a new, compliant spirit into the body of the dead, the original occupant's soul having already departed. It is not a matter of asserting control over the victim: it's simply a "re-possession" of the body that remained behind. The new fellow that's been jammed into the body has had no prior damage nor exhaustion from the previous battle, and should be standing at full strength (or even more so, since the skill is meant to increase the life and strength of the Revived at higher levels).
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
necromancer temperance
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Sounds like the old Iron Golem Oak Sage bug that Ultra Tank and I discovered. Oak Sage bugged my iron golem so that the next thing to touch him killed him.
The Golem/Oak bug was a problem with the Golem's life over-flowing the maximum permitted and I believe this has been fixed in 1.10

I've found two tactics so far:
Concentrate on reviving ranged attackers (which get hit less)
Use instaheal sources like town healers and wells a lot

They're pretty useful
Am I going for the blindingly obvious, or am I missing something here— a Prayer Merc would be of help, too, no?
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:Am I going for the blindingly obvious, or am I missing something here— a Prayer Merc would be of help, too, no?

I have a necro who has also noticed the revives starting with ~1 life. My party member and I both have prayer mercs currently, and the revives are up to full health in under a half a minute(this is normal though...). The increased pulse rate for prayer seems to really give the mercs a boost. It is an option, at least in the begining.

Unfortunately, come NM difficulty, both of us are switching mercs, and the only safe way to get revives full will be town refreshes.