The Freezadin?
In 1.10, chill arua adds cold damage to attacks. I am wondering if a Ranger could develop which uses this instead of Holy Shock. Sort of a Frost Maiden done with the Paladin. What do you think?
MageOfTheSands,

My guess is that it would work VERY well in normal and nightmare, as long as you keep pumping the augmenting skills. I think they have made the game too difficult in hell for such a character to get by.

HOWEVER, there is no way to be sure unless you try it. So, hop to it and let us know how it works out!

Lewis
Lewis
aka *westcats, USWest, SC
aka *sevencats, *weirdcats, USEast, SC
Looking at the numbers in Arreat Summit, you actually get more AoE damage with Holy Freeze than Holy Shock at the same radius.
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/pa...html#holyfreeze
(ain't it sweet, both skills are right next to each other)

Just don't look at target dmg. Don't.

HFreeze IS mighty useful for the chill effect, since my Ranger can't hit more than 1 thing at a time (hard to get my hands on a Razortail), & easier to hit that 1 thing when it's slowed. I'd rather have Fanaticism, but that's a personal pref.
-- Ryan
Between GW2, AirMech, Firefall and Torchlight 2, who has time for gaming? Smile
Look again

Holy Freeze advantages:
one less pre-req
synergistic skills give larger % bonuses
chills

Holy Shock advantages:
higher average damage added to your attack (468.5 vs 187.5 at slvl 20 without synergies)
higher area of effect damage (78.5 vs 37.5 at slvl 20 without synergies)

Same:
Radius
Radius increase per skill level

Seems that a Holy Shock ranger with a Holy Freeze merc would do better
ryan4nayr,Jul 16 2003, 02:31 PM Wrote:Looking at the numbers in Arreat Summit, you actually get more AoE damage with Holy Freeze than Holy Shock at the same radius.
I'm wrong, oops. I mixed up the various rows for dmg amounts. Brista's right, you're better off with a NM Defensive merc for the HFreeze, if you're into attacking multi-elemental.
-- Ryan
Between GW2, AirMech, Firefall and Torchlight 2, who has time for gaming? Smile
Hmm...That may be true, however the Shock Ranger uses Barbs to tank, right? What I am proposing is that a Freeze Ranger has crowd control like a Frost Maiden does. On that bases alone, I think it would be a viable subclass of the Ranger.
The new HF is really useful - when maxed, it adds like 300 damage to your attacks and chills the whole screen. My brand new pally (act1/NM now) uses HF and Conversion. It works really well since you don't need a strong weapon, but you need AR and speed. So, I'm using Isenhart's set - haven't found the shield yet, but anyways, Isenhart's Lightbrand is very fast and adds to AR when you have another item.

The wonderful thing is, I stumbled upon a nice Razor Bow and made the Zephyr runeword. Razor is very fast for pally, and Ort + Eth is easy to come by. Now, add 25% IAS to an already very fast bow, with HF slowing monsters by about 50%, AND the damage the aura adds to your attacks... it kills FAST!

So, sure, a ranger with Holy Freeze is a dangerous man - and when HF is maxed, just dump points in Resist Cold ;)

But I think the hybrid has more potential to survive - boss packs are tough to deal with in NM, especially when they're Extra Fast. Conversion gets the job done in this situation. Vengeance will help in Hell with like 1/3 of the monsters immune to cold - then your points into Resist Cold are not wasted since it'll boost Vengeance as well. :)
[Image: lukesnewlightsaber.jpg]

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
More interestingly, would it be possible to make a tri-elemental -adin?

Holy Shock: 10
Holy Fire: 10
Holy Freeze: 10

+ 20 points in Resist Fire, Resist Cold and Resist Lightning?

(Total skill points: 90)

Crank up the aura damages with +skills.. lets say:

a Peasant Crown (+1), a Shako (+2) or a Nightwing's Veil (+2, extra cold damage)
a GAngel (+1) or a Pally Arkaine's Valor (+2) or "Chains of Honor" runeword (+2, resistances)
+3 offensive Ammy
+3 offensive Circlet

*+6 should be easily achievable*

add..

Widowmaker (+3-5 to GA) or a Rogue's Bow (-10 WSM + 50% IAS) or "Passion" (25% IAS, Blinds Target +10)

Then a whole bunch of offensive aura charms?
More interestingly, would it be possible to make a tri-elemental -adin?

Holy Shock: 10
Holy Fire: 10
Holy Freeze: 10

+ 20 points in Resist Fire, Resist Cold and Resist Lightning?

(Total skill points: 90)

Quite interesting, yes. No points lost in prereqs, gives you offensive and defensive auras. The only problem is crowd control - Holy Freeze helps, but Cold Immune and/or Extra Fast monsters will be a pain since a pally doesn't have minions (and mercs have a high tendency to death). You'll be doing a lot of running, but with a strong bow combined with elemental damage from auras, it's possible to kill ;)
[Image: lukesnewlightsaber.jpg]

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
Can someone test that?