I'm Curious
I'm a software engineer at the moment. Currently building Oracle forms and reports (lots of PL/SQL). We are currently getting trained up in C#.Net, so will hopefully be out of the stoneage soon ;) . Also studying fulltime for my third tertiary qualification (BTech (CompSysEng) Hons. GDipSci(Math), GDipBS(Finance)) and trying to decide what to study next year, Psych, or Masters in A.I.
I'm a senior software developer at a leading maker of project planning software. At least, our marketing department thinks we're leading. :) I'm senior enough to have to maintain more code than I prefer, but at least I get to do things my way. Well, mostly.

Nice job, nice company, been doing it for nearly 9 years now. Employee #12.

I've been a software developer, a magazine editor, a boardgame playtester, a computer operator, and a convenience store clerk. I've also put a lot of unpaid time in on haunted houses, floating castles, and flying armadilloes.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
I currently work part-time at Rhino Video Games, a chain of video game stores in Florida. Not too bad for a summer job. Just stand around, talk about games, get paid, etc. In about a month though, I will be attending community college, which will last for 2 years, then I plan to transfer to the University of Florida. No clue what I want to study.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
Full-time college student for nine months of the year, nursing home groundskeeper for the remaining three.

I'm a rising senior psych major at Washington & Jefferson College, and although I don't know what I'm going to do after I graduate, I'm looking into human factor engineering (aka user-friendliness). I'm picking up a minor in math as well.

We'll see where it takes me... :P

--Copadope
I'm a student, nearing the completion of my third-year at SFU. Majoring in Political Science with minors in both Philosophy and Economics. Eventually, I plan to head east (most likely to Brock, Queen's or University of Toronto) to complete post-grad work in Poli Sci with a focus on political theory. Eventually I hope to instruct at a university level, but we'll have to see what else comes up. Thanks in part to lounge discussion, I have actually shifted my focus to include a good deal of comparative politics, something in which I was merely dabbling before last year, in an effort to broaden my horizons with some more contemporary studies of 'real-world' politics.

As of right now, I'm working for some red-necked guys with no teeth roofing houses for minimal pay and tons of abuse. Needless to say, I'm looking around for another job :)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
I am an engineer, marketing person, IT director, and part time receptionist for a manufacturer of PC imaging peripherals. By training, I am a biochemist.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I am a software engineer (currently for Oracle Forms/Reports and PL/SQL, but I also know my C++, Java and a bit of C#). I do less programming and more trouble shooting and project management at the moment, since our Oracle products are mostly developed by external companies (too big to do it all ourselves).
I go to Purdue. BME is not yet an "official" major, but there is a prgram called IDE, Interdisciplinary Engineering (commonly called I Dropped Engineering by many engineering majors :P), that allows a person to take courses which make a BME degree. I think in another year or two, the engineering school will make an official BME program.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Jul 11 2003, 03:47 PM Wrote:What do you do?

-pakman
I finished my BS in Psych in 2000 and just last month passed the 3 yrs of experience mark at a small consulting firm doing health care research (I plan on holding my skill point until lvl 5 and putting it into "401k vesting"). The firm has two branches, most of my time is spent on pharmacoeconomics (cost-effectiveness of new/emerging drugs and delivery systems) but I also contribute to PRO work (Patient Reported Outcomes, usually measured in terms of quality of life, or functional status).

Up-side: lots of interesting information on treatment for different diseases: depression, schizophrenia, cancer (lung, colorectal, breast), atrial fibrillation/tachycardia, ED, etc.; using more of the things I learned in the classes that I wanted to take (chem, anatomy, dugs & human behavior, calculus, stats, abnormal psych) than the ones I had to take (child psych, adolescent psych, anthropology).
Down-side: realizing how much some of these treatments cost; walking the line between good science and pharma marketing; being beholden to the billable hour.

edit:mmm... mixed tenses.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Haider,Jul 14 2003, 07:37 PM Wrote:currently for Oracle Forms/Reports
I offer my condolences.
Electrical Engineer at Bombardier Aerospace, formerly Learjet.

I wish I was a retired Boeing engineer, Pete

Mark
More fun then twins on a sugar high!!
Retired English literary professor from Harvard college, i have been retired for five years and wish i can go back soon, if i keep up with my medical treatments and medicine to help me keep my memory of context and grammar and punctuation skills.

Then i shall be okay.....
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
I finished up my bachelors in Computer Science in 2002, and graduated into the sargasso sea that was (and still is) the new-grad job market. :huh: I worked three months as a temp on a production line, and am presently (under)employed as a Data Center Analyst at Self Regional Healthcare. At the end of this month I will be submitting my packet for Army OCS, and going before the selection board. Hopefully I can actually get some USE out of my degree before I retire. :P
Welcome to the Lounge. Hope you brought your portable bomb shelter. - Roland
Hi,

I wish I was a retired Boeing engineer, Pete

And I wish I wasn't. But after the Boeing-MacDac merger the company managed to take all the fun out of R&D. When the project I was on temporarily shut down, I just didn't have the drive or desire to look for another home. As one friend put it, "This isn't the company I went to work for or want to work for." Didn't really need the money, didn't want the aggravation. So I retired early. But it was a lot of fun for a long time and I got to do a lot of interesting things :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hail everyone:

I am the inventor of post-it notes and currently am spending a lot of time dreaming on how i am going to spend all the money i am making off licensing and royalties.
Cenarius Alliance

Liscentia 80 Death Knight (450 Herbalism 425 Inscription)
Mysteryium 80 Shaman (450 Skinning 441 Leatherworking)
Tutelin 80 Priest (413 Enchanting 420 Tailoring)
Frozzen 73 Mage (Tailoring 375 Enchanting 375)
Obstinate 71 Hunter (375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy)
Squabbles 70 Warlock (Tailoring 375 Leatherworking 291)
Niniuin 70 Paladin (Herbailism 375 Alchemy 375)
Thunderous 66 Warrior (Mining 375 Tailoring 360)
This past year, I taught in a Head Start preschool for 3-5 year olds. It was through the local University, who run it as a lab classroom, so I also had six undergraduate student teachers.

I may be there again next year, if my luck holds out.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I love little kids. So does my mom. She taught preschool for 25 years. Then some changes happened and she could no longer deal with the beauracracy of the place.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Attorney, major firm in New York city. (Of course, I get shipped all over; just got back from a deposition in another state). Litigation work. Tried corporate, it wasn't bad, but liked lit a little better.
High school junior, awaiting freedom!

I work at an Indian Restuarant on the weekends hehe.

-Wapptor Would you like some chicken vindaloo?
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell