Good news
The Public Domain Enhancement Act was introduced this last week.

http://www.eldred.cc/eablog/000093.html
http://eldred.cc/ea_faq.html

While there are strong arguments on both sides of Eldred, the PDEA is something that I hope all parties can agree on -- and which can prevent much of the possible damage from copyright extension laws and rulings.
Hi,

I'm thinking of all the good SF that was published in the 70's and 80's and is now out of print. Seems that most works either stay in print forever or go through one edition and disappear. It's this second type I'd like to see "de-copyrighted". Putting then on Project Gutenberg would make us all richer and no one poorer (since the odds that they will ever be reprinted are infinitesimally small). But at least this is a step in the right direction.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

...since my room officially became a bathroom yesterday, I've been moved out to the living room of my house, right in front of the bookshelf. Asimov, Clarke, Dickson, Heinlein, Norton, White, Pohl, and my favorite E.E. "Doc" Smith are all an arm's-length away.

While I hope that in the future all these books can be accessed digitally through some master server, there's something satisfying about going to some rinky-dink wannabe "antique store" (there are LOADS of these in Fredericksburg) and finding a first edition of a book you didn't even know existed. (That's how I got hooked on the Lensman series!)
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Quote:While I hope that in the future all these books can be accessed digitally through some master server, there's something satisfying about going to some rinky-dink wannabe "antique store" (there are LOADS of these in Fredericksburg) and finding a first edition of a book you didn't even know existed. (That's how I got hooked on the Lensman series!)

Heck, that was how I discovered Wild Cards. B)

Croyd Crenson has to be the coolest "super hero", ever. Followed closely by the Great and Powerful Turtle and Demise, of course... :ph34r:

- WL
I second the notion. How else are youngsters to learn the proper way to say Duquesne?

{Sherman set the wayback machine to 1975}

Me: I just loved that "Skylark Do Kes Knee."
Jim: That's Duquesne you idiot. (As in Do Shane).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]