Enlisted in the Marine Corps
Hi. I have decided to enlist in the Marine Corps this past week, a decision which I take immense pride in. I have always wanted to join the Marines because I live in a militaristic family (from Prussia). Both my great grandpa and great uncle attended West Point, my grandpas on both sides of my family served in the Vietnam War, and my cousin just enrolled in the Naval Academy. I want to take the even greater physical and mental challenges of the Marine Corps, serving as a cook.

After discussing my decision with my parents, I went to fill out my medical pre-screening papers on Tuesday and a good part of Wednesday. On Wednesday evening my recruiter took me to the local MEPS Liaison, where I took the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery). Now let me say this about the test: It was definately a lot harder than I expected. The test was divided into ten categories of General Science, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Math Skills, Electronic, Automotive, Mechanical, Electrical, and Assembling Objects. Unlike the AFQT, this test took two hours and had questions much more in-depth than the qualifying test. I got through the test within my time limit, but the testers were hurried to get me out of there so they could go home. I did not get the chance to take a look at my results. After I had packed up my gear, a bus took a huge group of applicants to a very nice hotel where the military had paid for numerous Armed Services applicants' rooms. Being exhausted from all the testing and paperwork, I crashed at about 8:30 p.m. "Bright" and early the following morning, each applicant received a wake-up call at 3:30 a.m. I hurried to eat my provided breakfast and was soon crammed into a series of shuttle buses taking applicants back to the MEPS Liaison. Here, all applicants received a full physical, which took from about 5:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. After this taxing ordeal, I was finally told that I was medically qualified and sent to the Marines' Office. Here, the recruiters asked me one last time exactly what I wanted my job field to be, to which I responded, "Cook." At this point, I witnessed the recruiter blankly staring at some form I did not recognize while repeatedly flipping back to my job field application. He coldy asked me, "Why the hell do you want to be a damned cook? You got a 99 on the ASVAB test." At this statement I was utterly shocked. I knew I did decent on the test, but not perfect. With this score, he said that I could do any job I want as long as I passed the training school. However, I stuck with cook because my intention is to start out low and work my way up to be a Master Chef. After signing and swearing in as a Delayed Entry Enlistee, I was sent home with a shipping date of June 21, 2004 to San Diego.

Now I am just sitting here at home, dwelling on how far I can push myself in the Marines. I have the brains, strength, and unbreakable resolve to serve the United States. Now I just have to prove that to everyone else in boot camp, the 13 week and 2 day trip through hell. Any advice or tips to a future Marine would be greatly appreciated.

-ForceVoid
And "thanks" from a citizen!
Quote:With this score, he said that I could do any job I want as long as I passed the training school. However, I stuck with cook because my intention is to start out low and work my way up to be a Master Chef.

As the wee emperor said, "An army marches on its stomach." If you ask me, it seems rather inefficient to march belly to the ground the whole way. But he conquered large portions of Europe and I haven't, so there must be something to it.

By the by, if you have as many options open to you as the recruiter says, I'd see if there was anyone you could chat with about the options available. You may not find something more appealing than cook, but then, maybe you might. Doesn't hurt to explore all your options.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
My mother got a 76% on the ASVAB. (She was ROTC at the time.) Harder than it looks.

Here's to your future cooking for the Marines!
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Oooh Rah !! Not much advice I can offer you here - I went thru Air Force basic training in 1987 , and that was just six weeks of fun , roasting in Texas in the month of July / August - compared to Marine Basic training . Now I shudder when I must pass thru Texas (Sorry Occhi :P ) !

I guess I can offer this up for advice , many times thru basic you are going to question yourself ("What the hell am I doing here ??") , and doubt yourself ("I can't make it !!") , just stick with it , tough it out and in the end you can look back at one the most serious challenges of your lifetime and be proud of yourself for making it through :D .
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
I was in army ROTC in high school, but that doesn't compare to the Marines, but I did my Ealge project for them :) I collected toys for Toys for Tots, that's about the closest I got to the Marines.

Good luck.

"I am Gunnery Sargeant Hartmann, your senior drill instructor. You will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewars will be 'sir,' do you maggots underestand that?"

"Sir, yes, sir!"

"********, I can't hear you! Sound off like you got a pair!"

"Sir, yes, sir!"

If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death, praying for war, but until that day you are pukes, you are the lowest form of life on earth, you are not even human ******* beings; youare nothing more than unorganized, grabasstic pieces of amphibian ****. Because I am hard, you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard, but I am fair.

There is no racial bigotry, I don't look down on (racial slur), (racial slur), (racial slur), or (racials slur). Here you are all equally worthless, and it is my duty to weed out all non hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved corps."

"Do you maggots understand that!?"

"Sir, yes, sir!"

"******** I can't hear you!"

"Sir, yes, sir!"

"What's your name scumbag?"

"Sir,Pivate Brown, sir!"

"********, from now on you're Private Snowball, do you like that name?"

"Sir, yes, sir!"

"Well there's on thing you won't like Private Snowball, they don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall."

"Sir, yes, sir!"

"Is that you John Wayne, is this me?"

"Who said that? Who the **** said that! Who's the slimy, little, communist ****, twinkle-toed, ********** down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy ******* godmother said it. I'l ******* stand here, I will PT you all until you ******* die!!! I'll PT you until you ******** are sucking buttermilk"

"Was it you you scroungy little ****, huh?!!"

"Sir, no, sir!"

That's all about what I can remember....oh well.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Good luck :)

I served 1 year as recon soldier in northern Norway (I swear to God my balls shrinked permanently from the cold), but I guess Marines is a bit higher on the "mach-o-meter" ;)

Remember that pain is an illusion, an illusion is a dream and a dream is good.
Hi,

Not much advice, just go with the flow. But I will second what Lemming said, "By the by, if you have as many options open to you as the recruiter says, I'd see if there was anyone you could chat with about the options available. You may not find something more appealing than cook, but then, maybe you might. Doesn't hurt to explore all your options." It's easier to get into a different field now than it would be to change later (usually takes a re-up to do that).

Enjoy the challenge, embrace it, and you should do fine.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

1. Pain is merely weakness leaving the body.
2. Boot camp will be a place for you to dig down deep and give everything you have.
3. Harassment, like conver and concealment, must be continuous to be effective. Boot Camp includes a harassment package. :o
4. Every Marine is, first, a rifleman. So, even if you want to be a cook, be the best shot you can be. Used to be those who qualified expert got extra pay. Give it a whirl. The story of Jessica Lynch reminds us all of why the Marines are so anal about the rifleman thing: even rear echelon folks can get into a firefight, and they have to be ready when it happens to shoot back. (Hackworth recently did a rather pointed piece on the subject.) In modernwarfare, the fifth column movement, guerillas, what have you, can strike anywhere, be ready and be good.
5. There are not ex Marines, save those tossed out, there are only former Marines.
6. Make good food, and your fellow Marines will be friends for life.
7. If you find yourself motivated to choose a different MOS, the sky is the limit.
8. 99 ASVAB? WOW! Well done!
9. The Marines simply have the Best uniforms. Period. Lookin' good is a good thing in and of itself.
10. There will be days when your BS tolerance will be tested. Persevere, BS is survivable, believe me, experience has taught me at least that.
11. The team, the team, the team: don't be the weak link in the chain, always have a hand for your compadres, now and again you will need their help as well.

A Marine I served with some years ago used to have a sign up in his office. I saved a copy of the quote in a word file. Now and then, I refer to it, even though I am not a Marine.

Here it is:

"I will persist until I succeed. I was not delivered into this world in defeat, nor does failure coarse through my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my superiors. I am a Marine, and I refuse to talk, to walk, or to sleep with the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny. I will persist until I succeed."

The old saying about persistence, attributed to Calvin Coolidge, may be a bit more eloquent, but this one may be more helpful during the occasional frustration in your future. Heck, getting a tricky recipe right also takes persistence. :D

Best of luck to you in your journey under the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Give us a line when you finish Boot Camp, for then you will be A Marine. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
To say the least, congratulations ForceVoid. 99 on the ASBAV test sounds QUITE impressive.

I know very little about military service - no one in my parents generation served, and my grandparents were in WW2... They prefer not to talk about that sort of thing. I have read a few things on it though, and if my suspicions are true - good luck with hell! :-)

I have one more thing to say however: thank you. Thank you for going out there and committing your life to the U.S.'s existance :-). I don't think people give enough thanks to those of you who are out there and are willing to risk their lives for the country.

Baylan
Hats off to you. Folks who are willing to undertake these difficult tasks seem to be fairly rare. I understand that you will be defending the liberties which I hold so dearly. Good luck.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
You have a full year to increase your physical fitness level at your own pace, so take advantage of it. If you are less miserable physically then you will be able to be more attentive to the mental challenges ("head games") of boot camp. Boot camp is mostly about changing your mental habits, because it is the things you habitually do that will keep you alive and make you effective as a Marine.

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit." --Aristotle
... Do you suck ***** private Pile?

Sir no sir

Are you a peter puffer?

Sir no sir

Bull ****, I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Sir no sir

Why are you grinning private Pile? Do you think I'm funny?

Sir no sir

I will give you ten seconds, ten ******* seconds to wipe that disgusting grin off your face. Ten Nine Eight Seven What the **** is your problem privale Pile? Get that grin off your face!

Sir, I'm trying sir.

Six Five Four

Sir I can't help it sir.

On your knees private Pile... Now choke yourself
Not with dour hands, choke yourself with my hands!
Don't grab my hand and pull it over, bend down and choke yourself...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay I'm sick of typing but I'll leave you with my favorite quote from that movie.

You worthless, slimey, piece of **** guzzling ******* puke stain Pile! Get the **** off of my obstacle! GET THE #### OFF OF MY OBSTACLE!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I know one that is better, but it just would be wrong to **** the swearing and other unlurkerable words. It just wouldn't give the quote credit. (Hint: It's a Jodie)
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I remember when I took the ASVAB that I scored high enough that all the branches were interested in me. Just can't remember my score (I don't remember much else from high school, though). But I do have to say my last experience with a Marine for recruitment purposes was when I was drugged up because of a back injury and I have no clue what we talked about. :) lol.

Good luck in the Marines, though. I'd imagine their boot camp is very tough. Gotta have the training to push you to be a jarhead, ya' know ;)
Hi,

I'm an idealist, I'm a pacifist, I'm a pessimist, and my head is probably in the clouds more than it isn't (actually my head is best described as being somwhere else, I imagine).
I have good friends who've served. Done some other folks some good too, I'm sure.
I know we (U.S.) need the military to have all this nice stuff. I know America is a truly awesome place to live. I know we have a lot of good things going on here that require defending.
However, you need only flip through TV channels for about a half hour, or visit a prison, or sample some river water, or run for office, or think about Enron, or whatever to figure out that just maybe what the military is there to defend isn't all its cracked up to be. Who knows... I can't say I've done anything about it one way or the other, aside from this post maybe, so I'm in no place to criticize.

I just wish that human beings had decided at some point to bark up a different tree.

You see, for me, the military sucks. It sucks because at the end of the day, what they do is kill people. The fraternity you're about to join is a great one, but there is a whole lot of blood on its hands - lots of which is justified by sketchy reasons at best.

Take pride in what you do - and sir, I wish you the best of luck - I know you'll do well - but try not to forget that when its all said and done, its about metal entering flesh. If you can live with that - knock yourself out.

;)

edit - this is a jumbled mess, I know (what emotional subject isn't?). Hope my point gets across anyway.
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
The military is the tool of the civilian leadership. It has ever been thus, in this country. If you have an issue with the necessity for use of deadly force, look at yourself for your enabling bullying by your pacifism stance, at your elected leaders of the past 220 years, and at the human nature that you so correctly identify as the root cause of bloodshed.

What Force Void is doing is taking a risk: he is embarking on a course of action that entails risking his life, and risking that he takes another life, for something bigger than himself.

That is the difference between the troops and sailors in the "Free World" (which includes many professionals of many nationalities) and the troops and sailors of autocratic regimes. The latter are in it for the perqs.

Who and what enables your pacifism? Think about that.

And consider this irony: in America, you will find that most troops are not looking forward to war any more than a pacifist does. The soldier hates war because he knows he, or some of his buddies, will lose their lives, while the pacifist hates war based on principle. (And I must say I at times completely empathize with the pacifist point of view.) Preventing war, even if it has to be via a show of strength and power, enables both of their ideals.

Deterrence and prevention, IMO, beats wishing the problem away. B)
In Memory of Pete
Is that not also a favorite line of the DI in Full Metal Jacket? Been years since I saw the film.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jun 30 2003, 02:25 PM Wrote:Who and what enables your pacifism?  Think about that.

And consider this irony: in America, you will find that most troops are not looking forward to war any more than a pacifist does.  The soldier hates war because he knows he, or some of his buddies, will lose their lives, while the pacifist hates war based on principle.  (And I must say I at times completely empathize with the pacifist point of view.)  Preventing war, even if it has to be via a show of strength and power, enables both of their ideals.

Deterrence and prevention, IMO, beats wishing the problem away.  B)
:D Exactly , Occhi - this is why I enjoy reading your posts , you put the words on the monitor that I would struggle for hours to type (then be "eaten" by some weird software critter :blink: ) !
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Shoulda went Air Force!!
Air Force rules, Marine Corp Drools!!!!
That he wanted to join a military organization. That rules out the Air Force. Sorry, could not resist.

Any service that defines its mission success via metrics, versus 'did you win the fight' needs serious re evaluation. On the other hand, them fellas and gals in Air Power Blue sure are good at what they do, no question!

(Nicer on base golf courses too.)
In Memory of Pete