Parallel Parking
Hi,

Because if it wasn't, then you really need to figure out threaded view and how to post, or make your posts long enough so we can figure out WTF you mean and who you're talking to.

If it was, then you should know that I was driving a stick probably well before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hm... well, here in Virginia, I didn't have a behind the wheel test, just my 7 sessions of behind the wheel, and I got in before they required you to keep track of the time you did with your parents first, now it's 40 hours, but you have to write it down / who you were with / weather / time of day etc, very annoying. So yea, I've had my license for a year, and I don't know how to parallel park, I guess I have another year to learn before i'm off to college. I always aim for the parking spaces where I can preferably pull through, so then I don't have to back out either :P I'd rather park further away and pull through then up close between two cars, a little exercisze never heart anyone, heheh.
Not to drag this thread up back from the dead, but I passed my road test, and now am the proud owner of a shiny new provisional license. :D

I thought I might share my tips on parallel parking, (after all, that's what I originally asked about :lol: ) in case anyone's interested.

Pull up next to the car in front of the space. Back up slowly until the back of that car disappears behind the passenger seat's headrest. (Reference #1) Turn the wheel all the way to the right while continuing to back slowly, then turn the wheel all the other way when the car in back's front half way disappears from your rear window. (Reference #2) Then straighten out the wheel until the car is straight.

Using this, I was able to park in roughly three motions, though sometimes if you're hasty the car ends up a bit far from the curb. <_<

(BTW, New Jersey's roadtest is much easier than I expected. It's a closed track, 10 MPH max. :blink: )
nt
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Congratualtions! Now, go out and drive until you get used to the roads, and then push the right pedal a little harder ;) :P
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Yea, I too have to get my driver's license soon. My entire family are parallel-parking retards, I think my sister failed 4 times because of it, but for some odd reason I have no problem at all. Seriously, I glanced over the book and had it down in two tries.

Anyway, good job on passing. Now go play some pedestrian bowling.
"Oh dear god, i don't feel alive when you're cut short of misery (raise forth lost cause)
will you pray it be the end? give a look surprise wide eyed to me (raise forth lost cause)"

~Coheed & Cambria
Drive as though everyone else is nuts, and you will tend not to get into accidents. :)

My dad was last in an accident in 1954. He is 75 and still driving defensively.

Me, I tend to push the edge now and again, but I keep my head on a swivel: I assume there is always someone trying out some unusual maneuver intended to cause me bent metal. When I spot someone not "with the flow" I put that driver Behind Me whenever I can.

Paranoia, and keeping the stereo volume low, has served me well.

Oh, yeah, never drink and drive, you may hit a bump and spill some.

PS: Seatbelts save lives, strap yours on before you turn the key. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I drive offensively. Maybe it's because I'm from Chicago. I do, however, drive carefully, always use the blinker, horn and finger when necessary :P. But be cautious, especially when you drive with a cell phone. Personally, I never have my cellphone on when driving, and I can't stand people that talk and drive at the same time. They are usually all over the road. Always shave before you drive, not while. Read the paper at home or work, not in the car, and don't put hot coffee between your legs. :)
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
...although not by me, that women tend to be worse at parellel parking than men. Or, perhaps it's that they find it more difficult. I don't know why that is said, nor if there is any truth to it (although pure observation would certainly show something ;)). Having said that, I must say that parallel parking is no picnic for anyone, male or female. I myself NEVER do it, and so I probably suck at it, but I never had TOO much difficulty with it during my education.

But hey, I'm not biased. I hate all drivers. :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*