Do you think Blizzard has any future plans for D1?
Considering it is a seven year old game, do any of you fellow lurkers have guesses if Blizzard would hold future intentions for Diablo I? I for one would quite enjoy if they updated a few things here and there for players to experience the once old time glory. Like on it's tenth anniversary, would you like Blizzard to propose a new patch in celebration.. and with this new patch contains a few 'extra' features, such as higher resolution support, 8 player support, item highlighting support [similiar to D2's, but not like Hellfire's].

Personally, higher resolutions is the only thing I'd like featured next to fixing the dupe bug, the 640x480 resolution just and never does cut it for me..!
My guess is that they will leave classic Diablo alone. If they do anything for its tenth anniversary, it might be a new "collectors" edition of Diablo with some useless crap thrown in. Then again, I could be wrong...haha I *hope* I'm wrong!
personally, i would love an expansion, for online play. new spells, new items, new item types, new mazes and quests, i mean i like hell fire, and i'd love an something like that
gaidensensei,Jun 22 2003, 05:19 AM Wrote:Considering it is a seven year old game, do any of you fellow lurkers have guesses if Blizzard would hold future intentions for Diablo I?  I for one would quite enjoy if they updated a few things here and there for players to experience the once old time glory.  Like on it's tenth anniversary, would you like Blizzard to propose a new patch in celebration.. and with this new patch contains a few 'extra' features, such as higher resolution support, 8 player support, item highlighting support [similiar to D2's, but not like Hellfire's].

Personally, higher resolutions is the only thing I'd like featured next to fixing the dupe bug, the 640x480 resolution just and never does cut it for me..!
Nope. Can't see any of that happening. They barely changed a thing with The Lost Vikings and Rock & Roll Racing, when there was plenty that could have been done. (TLV: Additional levels, possibly a TLV/TLV2 combo cart instead of just the one game. R&RR: Additional tracks, additional vehicles, additional weapons etc.). If Blizzard couldn't be bothered to inject something new into old, forgotten games from ten years ago, then I sincerely doubt they'd do it for Diablo in three/four years.

*Sighs, blows the dust of old Lost Vikings SNES cart*

And I must be the only one who believes that Diablo in a higher resolution would suck. Big time. At 640x480, the view is perfect. Claustrophobic, dark, and intimate. If you stretch it out, then it loses much of its intimacy, and dare I say it, much of its atmosphere. Besides, if they retain the same light radius system, then you're not going to see much further than you could now. A work around would be to scale everything up so that they maintain the same comparitive dimensions, but why bother? For smoother graphics? To make it look exactly like Diablo II? One thing Interplay did right (And I swear this is the only thing they've ever done right) is use the same graphics and engine for Fallout II as they did with Fallout. This was good, this maintained continuity across the series. I like Diablo's graphics, I like them just the way they are.

Same for the 8 players thing. The world of Diablo II is large enough to accomidate 8 players. Diablo's is not. 4-player parties work through at a good pace, anything larger and the game time will be shortened dramatically. Besides, would you rather the strategic party management and dungeon crawling of a small party, or the free-for-all, barely know who I'm playing with, rush-rush-rush atmosphere that I've found defines Diablo II perfectly. Unfortunately.

Granted, there are a hell of a lot of things that need fixing. Anyone who has spent ten minutes scrabbling around among corpses for a CL-dropped ding will be praising Tyrael for a decent item highlight system, and there are more serious bugs than the CIA's spare bugs drawer that needs addressing.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Couldn't agree more about the resolution.

Diablo is even crowed with 4 players, let alone 8.

Hey! I *like* searching for items. After a few minutes you enter a sweep pattern where you hold the mouse button down one tile ahead of your character and go across a room row by row. It's not too bad actually as long as you have general idea where it dropped. Just quickly search the 9 tiles around a corpse.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Pop quiz, hotshot: You're running through dlvl 4 like a psychotic mo-fo loaded with enough mana to put a dent in Belgium. It's Nightmare, and there are Horrors around, and they ain't immune to your slvl 15 Chain Lightning. Even worse, the particular colour set of the level is the blue one that matches dropped jewels. You hurl a load of CLs down a long corridor, and you hear a ding several miles away. As you walk along the corridor, you realise you waxed about several dozen Horror corpses along the path.

What do you do?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

First, you must secure a perimeter with precise placements of gaurdian. Send out a golem scout on a recon mission. With any luck, he can recover enough information for HQ to analyze and report the exact postion of the jewel via GPS satellite. At worst, he will act as a diversion affording you more time to recover the booty. To succeed in this mission, soldier, there are several options:

1. Shoot the hostage!

2. Initiate a sweep pattern, 1 yard doubleback:
X = gaurdian
P = player
. = empty space

|X . . . . .X|
| . . . . . . .|
| . . . . . . .|
| . . . . . . .|
| . . . . . . .|
| . . . . . . .|
| . . . . . . .|
| . . . . . . .|
| . . . . . . .X
| . . . . . . .
|P . . . . . .
|X . . . . . .X

Begin in this postion and move along the wall until you reach the north border at X, keeping your cursor always one yard in front of your character. When you reach the top, sidestep one yard to the right and doubleback in the same fashion to the southern border. Continue sweep over entire area (you should have picked this up in basic).

3. Ransack
Because of the range of heat-seaking CL missles, the targets were most likely unaware of your presence and were fried in their camps. This means that the booty must also be found in these areas. Perhaps the trench looked something like this:
E = slain enemy

|X . . . . .X|
| . . . . . . .|
| . . . .EE .|
| . . . . .E .|
| . .E . .E .|
| . . . . . .E|
|EE . . . . .|
| .E . . . . .|
| . . . . . . .X
| . . . . . . .
|P . . . . . .
|X . . . . . .X

In this case, the search area would only include the yards surrounding the foes:

|X . . . . .X|
| . . .SSSS|
| . . .SSSS|
| .SSSSSS|
| .SSSSSS|
|SSSSSSS|
|SSS . .SS|
|SSS . . . .|
|SSS . . . .X
| . . . . . . .
|P . . . . . .
|X . . . . . .X

If all else fails, keep this in mind:

1. Can dlvl 4 be blue? I am talking caves blue.

2. Do the dungeons go on for miles? Character can walk pretty fast in that case. Do they use miles in Tristram?

3. Do you even want the jewel? A ring drop on dlvl 4 from horrors can't be all that impressive.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
That was.... Disturbingly detailed. If it's not much of a bother might I nervously glance sideways and take cautious steps away whenever you are present? :unsure:

Quote:3. Do you even want the jewel? A ring drop on dlvl 4 from horrors can't be all that impressive.
Might make the difference between having enough liquid cash to buy a tasty elixer/quality staff/book/premium item/Wirtless item and not. Remember: You can be dropped/disconnected at any time. Do not let this happen to you :)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

IIRC, that ups the qlvl for what the monsters are dropping. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
The most remarkable jewel in the dungeons is Spider's/Balance ( or even a plain Balance ). [That for Classic Diablo]

Constricting Ring also an option... Some other Unique rings might be interesting, simply because of the fact they are rare ( like Regha ).

However, the "Of Balance" suffix cannot be found on dlvl 4. You might still find some interesting cursed jewelry for BNMs if that is a case.

Cash-Jewels are very common at Hell. I almays pick up plain Stars or Heavens jewels or anything that exceeds 5K to use as cash for my clvl 20 shopper.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
[nt]
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Hello gaidensensei,

I strongly suggest installing "the dark" mod, if you have a copy of hellfire that is... Blizzard will NOT bring out new updates for diablo so a mod is the only way to go when you want more. And i.m.o. this is the best one around, yes items can be highlighted and even show up on the map ;)