Star Wars: Galaxies NDA lifted
... And it's getting ripped a new one. Here are a couple opinions that I have found to be common from beta testers:

Quote:"....about SWG...honestly...after having it to play for roughly 3 months now...id say stay away from it as if it were the black plague. Its the most awful game i have played in years.

The best part is character creation, by far. Besides that there is little to be desired.

Combat is very redundant. Meleers completely and utterly blow against EVERYTHING. Pistoleers have it too easy...seriously all i have to do is run and spam body shot 2 and i could kill reds(hardest con)...yet they found this to be ok?

The bazaar(the main way of buying from other people) is often not working, or simply just takes your money and doesnt let you get your item in return.

Just a week ago, i ran off the top of a mountain and flew over the damn city, i could also walk on water. However, i couldnt recreate this...

PvP...if thats what you want to call it, is retarded. People can just camp hospitals and kill everyone, they can also camp cloning stations...yeah...makes for tons of fun *shakes head*. Killing people is just as irritating, sometimes when theyre incapacitated you cant get in a killing blow...also if youre the victim this means the person can sit there incapacitating you for like an hour if they want.

Some mobs dont attack, and give experience. Some attack and DONT give experience.

Overall its just a horrible game. I can say i am not hesitant at all to take this off reserve...reserve, of which it has been on since last June(yeah thats how bad i wanted it).

Even the graphics, i run with everything on, and i do run fairly lag free...except in major cities my frame rate drops big time...but the graphics...well theyre good...but not worth paying 15 bucks a month for. Really thats all youd be paying for.

Seriously, you'd have more fun rolling a briton, naming him Luke Skywalker, and giving him a glow wep...then in SWG. I highly doubt i will ever play beta for a worse game.

Also just the mere fact that they're putting this #$%& on shelves on the 26th is ridiculous. Its nowheres near ready...maybe in another 6 months...but there is no way in #$%&ing hell that they could have this even mildy enjoyable in 7 days."

And,

Quote:The game is just plain booring. As for background I got into Beta about 3 months ago and only played for a month. So things may have changed.

My Problems:

1) Its a treadmill but it manages to be even less fulfilling that EQ/DAOC/UO. In EQ/DAOC all you had to do was mindlessely mash mobs but at least sometimes you had to have some skill and organization. In Star wars you have to mindlessly kill, harverst resources, craft, and find a buyer. You have to do incredibly stupid and pointless things just for the sake of doing them.

2) Interface. A little on the clunky side.

3) Twinking will be crucial. If you have friends that can hook you up with money or resources you are going to advnce much faster than the poor bastard that has to do it the hard way. I see a booming trade in credits on Ebay.

4) Its 99% empty space. Sure its big and has lots of running room but theres nothing there. For anyone thats played EQ imagine east karana except there is even less there and its 10 times as big....

5) No dungeons, no wrecked ships to explore, no ruins to check out, ect. Just run out find a camp and start blasting.

6) Items are painfull. Imagine DAOC but there are no npc vendors, you buy crap that players put for sale on the bazaar or buy player crafted direct.

7) Class design is plain silly. Imagine being a healer class except you have to craft your healing items. Your medic has to personally make the medi-kits he is using on you. So not only does he have a finite source of "heals" but it costs him time and money to get them. How would you like to spend a few hours a day as a medic crafting in preperation of actually playing?

8) Huge ammounts of "promised game features" have been removed to make the ship possible. There isnt enough left.

9) I can only speak of early pvp testing but it was so pointless that it made DAOC/Planetside look like it was a epic struggle against the forces of darkness. SWG pvp is nothing more than a street mugging by comparison.

I am going to watch the game and hopefully in 6 months or so I can buy it. That or all my friends will force me to play....

In fact, the only positive comments I have been able to find about the game are alleged "real player beta experiences" off the official SWG website. Hmm, I wonder if the makers of SWG are providing a fair and unbiased representation of their game? :blink: Very, very disappointing considering how much was promised. AC2, Shadowbane, Planetside, and now SWG... are we ever going to get a MMOG that is balanced and relatively bug-free (much less working) on release to rival the established MMO's EQ and DAoC (and some might argue AO)?

Another one bit the dust... can Blizz break the mold to make this a three game race and pull through with WoW?
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:The bazaar(the main way of buying from other people) is often not working, or simply just takes your money and doesnt let you get your item in return.

Quote:6) Items are painfull. Imagine DAOC but there are no npc vendors, you buy crap that players put for sale on the bazaar or buy player crafted direct.

7) Class design is plain silly. Imagine being a healer class except you have to craft your healing items. Your medic has to personally make the medi-kits he is using on you. So not only does he have a finite source of "heals" but it costs him time and money to get them. How would you like to spend a few hours a day as a medic crafting in preperation of actually playing?

"[The Crafting] will be akin to the Aurora toolset for Neverwinter Nights, methinks. Like NWN, SWG is enclosing their doom within the parameters of their own product."
- Nicodemus (March 27/2003)

Sweet Jebus... I made a prediction! ;)

Well, not really... but pretty close. They both provide the instability that destroys the economy and drives play-interest into the cold, cold ground.

Too bad. Showed such promise.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
I'm currently considering buying planetside. Should I? I have a friend who won't stop boasting about how incredibly cool it is.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I know that planetside is extremely cool. I played the beta at school this year. The only thing that I remember that I disliked was when you got into a vehicle and flew over a base, it would start lagging like mad. I would recommend buying it.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
It's good for what all FPSes are good for these days, only on a grander scale. Do you like FPSes? Do you like the idea of FPSes, taken to a grander scale (in the form of larger playerbase, world-size, and "improved / expanded" features)? If so, buy the game. The only redeeming thing about MMO's is, despite how you have to pay monthly for them, you can pay for as many, or as few, months as you wish. Buy the game if you answered yes to my questions above. Play it until you don't feel like it anymore, and cancel your subscription. If/When you want to come back, resubscribe. Simple as that.

The summary of the game, in terms that would answer your question: "The game is worth $6 a month. It's not worth $13 a month."
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I really have fun in it although it can lag pretty bad on a 56k.

If you just want to run around or fly copters and shoot people it fun for that. But where is really shines is if you like to use tactics in group combat. If you hook up with a good ourfit the game moves beyond "twitch and shoot" and becomes really fun.

That said its one dimensional. I enjoyed DAOC for it envirment and its group PvP. However with PlanetSide you get the best group pvp yet, but nothing else.
Had this to say:

Quote:SWG

Fri, June 20 2003 - 10:21 AM
by: Gabe

Now that the NDA is no longer hanging over my head I thought I would elaborate a bit on why I won’t be purchasing SWG right away.

I do not personally feel like SWG captures the look and feel of the Star Wars universe as well as I’d like it to.

I decided right away that I wanted to be a bounty hunter and so with blaster in hand I began working my way up that particular skill tree. This involved a lot of shooting of rats, bugs and crabs. At one point on Tatooine I was standing next to a mission terminal waiting for my turn to use it when I saw a large wookie run past me firing wildly over his shoulder as a tiny crab no bigger than a dinner plate chased him through town. How sad I thought to myself. I spent countless hours wandering the hillsides in search of new rats and crabs to shoot. Sometimes I would inadvertently stumble upon too large a rat and be forced to high tail it back to town. I placed my character in auto run and pointed him at the nearest town. As I sat there staring at my Trandoshan bounding across the uneven Tatooine landscape with some kind of super rat closing in on him I thought to myself “This is not how I want to play in the Star Wars Universe.” As I sat there watching this rat slowly gaining on my character my mind flashed back to a conversation I had with Tycho months and months ago.

Tycho had talked me into playing my first MMORPG and I told him that if he ever did that again I’d kick him right in his cream and crackers. After an hour or so of hitting spiders with a bat I was ready to write off the entire genre. He said “What about Star Wars Galaxies?” At the time I told him that Galaxies would be different because it was Star Wars. “It’s not like they’re gonna make you spend hours hitting Wamprats with a stick.” Oh irony, thou art a harsh mistress.

The more I think about it the more I think that there may very well be nothing wrong with Star Wars Galaxies. This just isn’t my kind of game. I think I’m just better off getting my Star Wars fix from games like Jedi Knight and Rogue Squadron. Maybe some day a developer will combine all the best stuff from games like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and Jedi Knight into one game that doesn’t involve the poking of rats with sticks. Essentially my fantasy has not changed. I still want to play in a fully realized Star Wars universe. I want to fly a ship I own through space smuggling goods and outrunning Imperials. I want to land that ship on the planet of my choosing and do battle with storm troopers and rival smugglers. I want an action game because the Star Wars movies to me are action movies. That’s why I never liked the Star Wars RTS bull#$%&. Star Wars for me is not about running around Naboo shooting bugs in order to build up my blaster XP. It is about adventure and I don’t feel like SWG delivers that.

Even after you’ve reached a level where you can take on larger adversaries the battles still aren’t any fun. You click on the thing you want to shoot and then you select from your menu of different attacks. There is no strategy required. You simply choose your best attack and cue it up a couple of times and then wait while your guy shoots the target. If the target comes after you just run away until it stops chasing you and then turn around and repeat the steps above. Stirring Star Wars music plays during a battle and is intended to make the event seem more epic I suppose. The classic arrangement blaring as you take pot shots at a lizard who seems oblivious to your attacks just makes an already absurd situation all the more laughable.

I’m not gonna go into any of the technical problems I had playing the game as those don’t really matter to me. I have no doubt in my mind that all the technical issues I had with the game will be ironed out within the first couple of months. Do I think that people who purchase the game when it first comes out will be paying to beta test it? Absolutely. I also believe that this is no different than any other PC game. The fact is that we as gamers have allowed game companies to do it for years. We have created a world in which it is okay to deliver a game to market that is broken. We have proven time and time again that we will pay good money for toys that do not work. To complain that another game is coming out earlier than it should is pointless. It should be #$%&ing assumed by now that a company will force it’s developers to ship a game before they think it’s ready. This is not news, this is par for the #$%&ing course.

What I’ve decided is that the problem is not with SWG. I believe they have succeeded in creating exactly what they set out to make, a Star Wars MMORPG. The problem is that what they made is not the sort of game I like to play and that’s not a bad thing for anyone but me.

-Gabe out

The only GOOD thing he has to say about the game? "MMOs aren't my thing, so SWG might be just what was promised: a Star Wars MMO."

My hope? People shun this game like the plague, and the company loses a fortune on it. Maybe it will teach them not to screw with things and try to get off on leeching the fanboys, rather than release something WORTHY of buying on its own. Somehow, I get the feeling that enough people will buy this anyway to sustain it, at least for awhile. Had it not been for the NDA lifting, I think a LOT of people would be getting very disappointed. Another MoO3, anyone? Now in MMO pay-to-play flavor! *rolls eyes*

Just one more pile of trash that I won't be getting. Not that I had any intention of getting it in the first place. ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I think they became so carried away with the thought of taking money from casual gamers they forgot what STARWARS was about - war in space.

I grew up playing with STARWARS toys, I didnt have them dance and cook food - my toys spent all their time fighting.

When I heard about the game, I figured it would feel like the movies, like X-wing and Jedi did, but on an even larger scale But this game seems more like you are Han Solos lame ass brother than than a real adventurer.

Anyway Im sure the game is great for some people, but I think they missed the mark with thier core audience.
Ghostiger,Jun 21 2003, 04:40 AM Wrote:I really have fun in it although it can lag pretty bad on a 56k.

If you just want to run around or fly copters and shoot people it fun for that. But where is really shines is if you like to use tactics in group combat. If you hook up with a good ourfit the game moves beyond "twitch and shoot" and becomes really fun.

That said its one dimensional. I enjoyed DAOC for it envirment and its group PvP. However with PlanetSide you get the best group pvp yet, but nothing else.
Next week we're getting a 2mbit line from a new ISP and I've just upgraded my PC to a
2ghz, 512MB RAM, Geforce4(expensive version) kind of deal, so hopefully the game will run fine.

I think I might buy Planetside; not because it's so damn good, but because it's sunday tomorrow, I just finished Deus Ex so I will have -nothing- to do. So when Monday comes, I won't want to experience a similar day like tomorrow and therefore, will go to the store and buy the game .. :)

Edit:
Ok, so I have Silent Hill III here which I haven't played through yet, but I don't think I'll be any less frightened tomorrow than I was 2 weeks ago when I first tried it.
Star Wars Galaxies never did appeal to me when I looked up the info about it. I told my Star Wars-fanatic friend that SWG was probably going to be terrible, and then showed him this thread. He tried defending it, but I think he cried once he got home.

Personally, after play Dark Age of Camelot, if I ever play another MMORPG, it'll probably either be World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XI. I doubt I'll play any in quite some time though.

Oh, and [wcip]Angel: Silent Hill 3 isn't out in the US yet, but I can't wait. I love reading the plot analysi(what's plural of analysis?) they have on GameFAQs. I didn't find the Silent Hills as a jump-out-of-your-seat scary, but more of a steady uneasiness that rises in scaryness on occasion. For example, in SH2, the big room with the nooses in the center and the horse... Without a doubt, the scariest game I've played is System Shock 2. Now that'll make you jump and run out of the room.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
They seeeeee you....ruuuun....RUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
I never got around to using my SWG beta disks. Now, I'm rather glad I didn't, since I'd have had to buy a Wintel box and thus pollute my home net.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Pollute with wintel? Mac, is far worse thnx. I don't even need to argue that, its a fact. :lol:
I could go on and on about how Apple screwes with it's customers, how Apple are blatant liers, ect, but I think I won't.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Kryn,Jun 21 2003, 08:09 PM Wrote:Star Wars Galaxies never did appeal to me when I looked up the info about it.  I told my Star Wars-fanatic friend that SWG was probably going to be terrible, and then showed him this thread.  He tried defending it, but I think he cried once he got home.

Personally, after play Dark Age of Camelot, if I ever play another MMORPG, it'll probably either be World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XI.  I doubt I'll play any in quite some time though.

Oh, and [wcip]Angel:  Silent Hill 3 isn't out in the US yet, but I can't wait.  I love reading the plot analysi(what's plural of analysis?) they have on GameFAQs.  I didn't find the Silent Hills as a jump-out-of-your-seat scary, but more of a steady uneasiness that rises in scaryness on occasion.  For example,  in SH2, the big room with the nooses in the center and the horse...  Without a doubt, the scariest game I've played is System Shock 2.  Now that'll make you jump and run out of the room.
I agree. SH doesn't have those horror moments that made Resident Evil so scary, but it built an atomsphere which steadily made you more and more eager to turn of the machine and go play with some fluffy bunnies. :)

I'll be going to Ikea today to buy myself a new PC-chair, and I might just ask my mother to swing by another store so I can pick up planetside.

Perhaps when my brother moves back home, and it's a bit brighter outside, I'll dare play a little more SHIII, but until then, I'm not touching it.

I also enjoy reading the plot analyses on GameFaqs! I think President Evil's analysis is my favourite. To me, reading that FAQ was essential to the game. I didn't understand a thing after I'd played through the 3-4 times. I didn't realise that the monsters were a figment of my imagination and that "what you bring to SH manifests itself into something physical."

I'll try and find the paragraph..

But one similar thread runs through the back-stories of the three main
characters, James, Eddie and Angela. The common factor for all these
folks is an overwhelming sense of guilt about things they did in the
past, things that can't be undone in the real world. Silent Hill is a
place where reality is not what it used to be, and it might be possible
for the guilty to find a second chance to gain forgiveness from the
dead... Or to finally find the condemnation they so richly deserve.

By the time we reach the "special place", which ends up being Room 312
inside the Lake View Hotel, we know what sin James is guilty of. This
explains to us why he has seen the things he's seen, and why he has
been forced to watch helplessly as Maria dies over and over again. In
Silent Hill, the driving force of nature is perspective. Silent Hill is
what you bring to it, and the demons that have plagued James' soul have
taken physical form and now are seeking vengeance.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/si...hill_2_plot.txt

Without this guide, SH2 would have been half a game. (I'm not saying that without this guide SH2 wouldn't be any fun, but rather that even though SH2 was cool, knowing more about it made it more pleasurable.)
Hello, long time no see /wave

Well i have been in the beta for a while and can say I like the game. If you are expecting a FPS sorry wrong game, If you are expecting EQ like , again sorry wrong game. I spent most of the beta as a Dancer, that is right i go into the cantina and dance to heal what is called battle fatigue and mind wounds that the fighters get either by going out in hunting parties (up to 20 in a group) or by haveing battles with the opposte faction either rebel or imperal,
As for the bazzar that is working now, had some problems, but hey that is why it is called BETA TESTING.
You are supposed to find a crafter to buy from or one of their npc venders they can put up (kinda like EQ in that) but only the crafters,armorsmiths, weaopensmiths can have the npc venders. I had a LOT of clothes that i bought from tailors that came into the cantina to sell things.

And the mention of people camping the shuttle ports randomly killing people is WRONG.. to be able to kill another Player you MUST be a covert imperal or rebel and they MUST MUST be the opposite faction, you can NOT go around killing anyone and everyone. Now as to the camping cloning facilities ( where you spawn after a death) same thing applies though if you are smart enough as to CHOOSE to spawn in a rebel town when you are a imperal yes expect to die. but there is no random killing anyone except creatures.

In the release of the game you will beable to have built for you by another player a building /store/bar/home that you can use. there will be player run cantinas ,player run stores( the taliors can set up a store to sell the clothes that they make.. So if anyone of y'll happen upon the little town of Dearic, on the planet talus; come to the cantina and tell Ro'esq hello (tis me) most likely will be on the Azhia server.
EDIT: I put in a link to a player made movie
SWG movie