Open Wounds on Mercenary
I have an Act II holy freeze merc who is armed with The Meat Scraper Lochaber Axe, which causes open wounds. I noticed spomething odd when a monster dies after developing open wounds. The air above the monster's corpse will continue to bleed. It bleeds just as if the monster were still alive. I got a screenshot of it, but it really doesn't show much. :( This was happening in Act V Nightmare, on Battle.net USEast. Has anybody else seen this before?

The screenshot is here.

EDIT: Added screenshot.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Kartoffelsalat,Jun 20 2003, 07:41 AM Wrote:Has anybody else seen this before?
Only about most times since version 1.0 ;)

Personally I tend to think of it as a squirty corpse that just continues to bleed after death. Gotta love that anticoagulant! B)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
It's fun when the corpse ice-cubes and the ground just keeps on bleeding. Blood from a stone indeed!
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
I see it all the time. I use Malice weapons on Act II mercs fairly often...100% open wounds. Great on creepers, as it bypasses physical resistance, I think....
--Mav
If you do a point of some kind of magical or elemental damage when striking with Open Wounds weapon/item. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Mavfin,Jun 25 2003, 01:06 PM Wrote:I see it all the time.  I use Malice weapons on Act II mercs fairly often...100% open wounds.   Great on creepers, as it bypasses physical resistance, I think....
I wonder if what you are seeing might have to do with the eth bug (that they'll probably forget to fix)? Does the eth bug have any effect on physical immunes? I used to use Malice all the time for young act II merceneries till it occurred to me that Malice probably worked as well as it does because of the bug.

Like Kartoffelsalat, I am currently using Meat Scraper on a Holy Freeze hireling. I think Meat Scraper may add to his aura (the hireling's, that is) because of the mercenery skill tree bug/feature. Meat Scraper has plus 3 to barbarian masteries, as well as open wounds. As I recall, masteries are on the same branch tab as offensive auras. To my mind the branch tree bug seems less egregious than the eth, so I don't mind making use of it.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I think that the Open Wounds bypassing physical immunity bug is a different bug from the Eth bug

Malice definitely gets a huge power-up because of the Eth bug. I'm less scrupulous and use a Malice Hyperion Spear on a merc in Hell Act 5, it's very effective indeed on a merc who suffers a significant mlvl/clvl to hit penalty
Heiho,

I remember the 'OW-bypassing-physimmunity' Bug a long time ago crystallized as a mistake in the testing environment, is this not true?

And BTW, where is Spirea's hosted site (including the OW calc and other resources I was happy with)?
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Heiho,

*argl*

*shootbrowsertodeath*

sorry4doubleposting
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
librarian,Jul 1 2003, 08:17 PM Wrote:And BTW, where is Spirea's hosted site (including the OW calc and other resources I was happy with)?
Have a look at the links on left hand side of the front page of the Diablo 2 section

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo2/
Heiho,

*wipessweatfromhisforehead*
yeah thanks, today it is here again.
Yesterday I only got an error message from some indian tribe ... ;-)

I still can't verifiy the OW Bug, but the old Thread referring to it (and had the complete solution in it why the testing went wrong) is in digital heaven. More than 16Months old, according to the last thread I found a link to it ... so maybe there is a newer bug?
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
librarian,Jul 1 2003, 04:17 PM Wrote:I remember the 'OW-bypassing-physimmunity' Bug a long time ago crystallized as a mistake in the testing environment, is this not true?
You are remembering correctly. The testers were not properly accounting for the life bar updating their damage amounts periodicaly. The Open Wounds was doing the damage continuosly, but the life bar would only reflect this change when the monster was hit again. The testers were assuming inncorrectly that they were actually somehow by passing the PI of the monster, when it was just the OW damage effect that they were seeing.