Finally happened
I have experienced a year of Purdue University School of Engineering, and I have to say, it was tough. Not that I expected to to be easy, though, I know it's engineering. College has been a great experience thus far. I have met many new friends in the dorm and from class, joined some clubs, and went out on the weekends with my friends partying (only dry parties, we don't drink).

Let me put it this way, friends don't let friends take Freshman Engineering. The idea is great, but the execution and implementation is completely flawed. The profs are there for research and not to teach, they don't care about the students and their needs. I was very disappointed, even the counselors in the FrE office were unsympathetic. Next semester, starting Aug. 25, I only have to take one more class in the FrE program and then I can move on to my professional school.

I spent the year debating what school I wanted to enter. I kept telling myself that chemical engineering was for me. Then I got my grade report and found out that the only way I got through chemistry was by my friend Rob. He and I worked on a lot of problems and developed a great relationship. He's a chemistry genius and has a sense of humor like mine. After the second semester, I decided to shift my focus.

There was always one thing that I loved to do, AutoCAD. I decided to shift my focus towards a civil engineering degree with a specialization in structures. The stuff I like. Counselors "ok'd" it and I will enter the School of Civil Engineering in the Spring semester.

After finals, I spent over a month trying to find a job. No one was hiring. I sent resumes everywhere and recieved nothing in return. Then one day my parents had some old friends over for and they went out to dinner. My parents told them my sad tale :P. Later that night when they got home from dinner, they told me to email my resume to them and they would spread it around to people they knew.

I spent the next week looking for anything, I was even considering going to McDonalds or some other fast food joint, though I really didn't want to. Then one day I was out with my mom cheaufering (sp?) my sister and her friends around. When we got home that evening there was a message for me on the answering machine...something about this place in Mt. Prospect (town just north of where I live). I called the number expecting an answering machine or some kind of other automated response telling me to please hold and that my call would be answered in the order it was recieved. Instead I got Mike. Mike is the CEO of an engineering firm that deals in stuctures, architecture, design, etc. of concrete buildings like parking garages or stadiums. Mike told me that he had gotten my resume from his wife who was good friends with the company we had over about a week ago. We talked about what I was looking for and set up and interview/tour for the next day which was a Thursday. Friday I received a call at 11:43 am asking me if I was still interested in the offer. Sure enough I now work at that company. The best part, though, is that I have my next four summer jobs and possibly a full time job lined up when I graduate :D

I work with CAD and great people, I think I may have landed my dream job a 19.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Jun 18 2003, 02:42 PM Wrote:I work with CAD and great people, I think I may have landed my dream job a 19.
I spent a summer interning at an engineering firm doing AutoCAD design, and site survey work. It was probably the best summer I've ever spent working. I've since completed a bachelors degree in psychology, and gotten a job doing healthcare research. I haven't used by AutoCAD in 5 years and wish I could be back in that internship. It was so nice to have so little thinking to do on the job. All I had to do was read the labels on the electrical panels, and then draw them in the correct rooms when I got back to my desk. God I wish I didn't have to think so much at work...

Maybe I just want fewer things to worry about. It was easy to point at the panel on the wall and say "Yes, it really is on that wall at that height" rather than having to say, "That's what the data look like. Whether the data are accurate, I have to rely on..."
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote:I work with CAD and great people, I think I may have landed my dream job a 19.

Well, kudos on the nice job. Few people manage to determine what their real dream job *is* by 19, good luck with it.

PS: My dream job = unemployment. Unfortunately, the pay and benefits are on the low side, so I have had very little experience with my dream job.

EDIT: typo
Baajikiil,Jun 18 2003, 08:04 PM Wrote:PS: My dream job = unemployment.  Unfortunately, the pay and benefits are on the low side, so I have had  very little experience with my dream job.
lol, good one :)

Quote:I work with CAD and great people, I think I may have landed my dream job a 19.

I'm glad you found a job you really like, I just hope you'll STILL like it in a few years.

My dream job on the other hand is... well... in fact I have idea what my dream job is, although my dream occupation is Computer Science/programming
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"