"Cliches, you can't live with 'em..."
The Grand List of Console Roleplaying Game Cliches

Quite an interesting read. :blink:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
That was great! Well worth a read :D
I Demand Pie.
ROFL, "The Chocobo Rule" - imagine me doing the Mt. Dew spitake...
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hail WarBlade,

There's a few of them floating about, but it is pretty funny when you think about them: they are sooo true ;)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
...I've often wondered about this one...

"Silly Squall, bringing a sword to a gunfight..."
No matter what timeframe the game is set in -- past, present, or future -- the main hero and his antagonist will both use a sword for a weapon. (Therefore, you can identify your antagonist pretty easily right from the start of the game just by looking for the other guy who uses a sword.) These swords will be far more powerful than any gun and often capable of distance attacks.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Oh man! I wanted to quote the best ones, but I'd end up quoting 90% of the material. That was hilarious. I've only played the Final fantasu-games out of the ones they mentioned, and I recognised almost every single point in it. Brilliant stuff!!

I'm still laughing from some of the last ones. :lol:
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Jester's Picks (after too many RPGs to count)

33: Heads I win, Tails you Lose

Jester sez: Any task you perform prior to the last third of the game will be rendered irrelevant.

54: Zeigfreid's Contradiction

Jester sez: How much damn time did YOU waste trying to figure out what he did? (Colosseum? Apparently nothing!)

56: But They Don't Take American Express

Jester sez: Even games that usually make sense follow this insane little rule. Even ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS accept your money, despite it being mysteriously dated thousands of years in the future.

117: Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely

Jester sez: This one should be amended to "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely". Note this also works in reverse (see: Golbez, Magus), explaining (among others) rule 128.

121: Last Law of Politics

Jester sez: Lucid. The most perfect of all the rules.

127: Ominous Ring of Land

Jester sez: Ever played Actraiser? Yeah, this one has been around forever.

170: Poetic Villain Principle

Jester sez: The agony, the agony! The years of crap, trying so hard to mean something, but failing so miserably! I blame this rule for an entire generation incapable of all but the most ridiculous philosophy.

172 and 173: Adam Smith's Revenge and Adam Smith's Corollary

Jester sez: These apply even if the governments theoretically backing the currencies in question have ceased to exist. Hell, it even applies if the SPECIES IN QUESTION has ceased to exist!

177: In Your Face, Jesus!

Jester sez: I'm hard pressed to think of an exception. I'm not sure one even exists.

For an RPG that manages to break 95%+ of these cliches, play Wizardry 7 (Crusaders of the Dark Savant).

For a game which puts it all into perspective, try Progress Quest.

Jester
Quote:For a game which puts it all into perspective, try Progress Quest.

Oh snap!

I need to get back to PQ -- my Greater Gnome Bastard Lunatic is only level 48 or so!

Progress Quest really is cool -- too bad it doesn't have cool particle effects for blazing weapons and stuff.

:ph34r:

- WL
#14 - Garrett's Principle:

Let's not mince words: you're a thief. You can walk into just about anybody's house like the door wasn't even locked. You just barge right in and start looking for stuff. Anything you can find that's not nailed down is yours to keep. You will often walk into perfect strangers' houses, lift their precious artifacts, and then chat with them like you were old neighbors as you head back out with their family heirlooms under your arm. Unfortunately, this never works in stores

#19 - Just Nod Your Head And Smile

And no matter how big that big-ass sword is, you won't stand out in a crowd. Nobody ever crosses the street to avoid you or seems to be especially shocked or alarmed when a heavily armed gang bursts into their house during dinner, rummages through their posessions, and demands to know if they've seen a black-caped man. People can get used to anything, apparently.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
...and delicious!

Thanks Warlocke :)
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
Hey, what about Mario! Or Serge! ;)
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
ROFL, god that was hilarious

Quote:The Moral Of The Story (Ghaleon Rule)
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
This was great! I started reading it yesterday before I went to work and then class and finished it this morning. I especially love the thief rule. A lot of these are present in the NWN modules that come with the tool set. A lot rings true with Morrowind too (which, btw, is my new favorite game :)). I love walking into peoples houses and pickpocketing their valuables and leaving whilst telling them to have a pleasant evening.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
171. Compression of Time.

Gosh, is that my spleen? Did I ever laugh with that list :lol::lol::lol: