Freelancers
I have 3 mates from diablo2 that have begun to play freelancers, a space game on the pc. They keep trying to sell it to me, but I'd like to know what Lurker's think of it. So if you have played it, please tell me what you think of it :P
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
I think you mean Freelancer.

Anyway, I played the game and probably the most outstanding thing in it was the storyline of the single player campaign, the story was amazing and I was entirely drawn into it, the main problem is that it's pretty short (finished it after 3-5 days with averaging 5 hours a day).

The multiplayer of the game is something I did not try and you should ask someone else about it...

Definatly a good game but I suggest renting it and not buying.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Jun 17 2003, 05:20 PM Wrote:Definatly a good game but I suggest renting it and not buying.
I didn't know you could rent computer games, I knew you could do so for video games but I've never heard of anyone extending the practice to computer games. I imagine that piracy would be an issue. I bought my copy used from half.com. It's a good game and I recommend it but its not a must buy like say Starcraft or Diablo. It has a huge, detailed, beautiful universe to explore. There so many places to find and little bits of back story to uncover that I don't think it's possible for one person to fully explore the universe. The single player game is great as said above and certainly worth playing through twice.

Korror
Korri cut off an eye stalk and took a good look. Whatever they said, beauty was certainly not in the eye of the beholder. -The Heroic Adventures of Korri Quicklaugh.
Old Thread

Slipped off the last 30 days, so the default search missed it.
Freelancer is the first game I've been able to really get into since D2/LOD. I've tried to break the D2 habit with quite a few other games from consol, to so called D2 clones, but this one has kept my attention away from d2 for longer then any other game. I'm sure I'll get sucked back into D2 when the patch comes out, but I'm getting my moneys worth out of this game.
Bolty's review in that thread sums it up pretty well. It's quite a fun game, but doesn't quite have the longevity of Diablo, largely because there's no different characters to play or any real differentiation between multiple trips through the game. Any savegame can buy any ship or weapon, and they're sold in fixed locations, so anyone can get a similar top-notch equipment configuration.

That said, if you're the type that likes playing Diablo variants, there's a lot of possible material in Freelancer if you do it yourself. I played through the storyline missions five times so far. First time, normally. Second time, the only way I earned money was by pirating or flying missions for pirates. Third time, only used cargo ships (pretty interesting to fight the campaign missions in them.) Fourth time, trying to do it in the ship you start with. Fifth time, upcoming, is to do it in "hardcore", without dying.

You'll also love it if you like exploring large game universes. There's a ton of out-of-the-way places with neat stuff to find and do.

Haven't played multiplayer so I can't really comment on that.
...like a watered down space version of Morrowind, with half the quality and none of the customizability. ;) Having said that, if you're looking for an RPG to suck you in, get Morrowind. It's cheap, it has two expansions, and it has JUST AS MUCH expandability / customizability (moreso!) as NWN.

But hey, you were looking for a review on Freelancer, and I can't give it. Sorry, but my experience is with Morrowind only. ;) Although I do recall Penny Arcade! doing some rendition along the lines of "Peelancer", I think. I could be wrong though. Yep! I was right. :) Linkage:

Peelancer

Gotta love humor. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Thank you all for your views, coments and links. May try it out, but am enjoying leveling my barb too much to try it now :P
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,