Hero
Ghostiger,Jun 5 2005, 07:01 AM Wrote:Worth watching indeed, but not great in my opinion.
[right][snapback]79757[/snapback][/right]

Seconded.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Hi!

Now, I know that I've made my point a few years ago, but I'll merrily repeat it again and again:

HERO is a diamond. The story is brilliant and intriguing, the illumination and use of colors inimitable, and the fight scenes are spectacular, to say the least. The cast acts decently, and I didn't have the impression the movie should have had a 'faster pace'.
I don't even think the 'wire technics were overdone, of course it's a fantasy story were of course some heros have special abilities and of course (nowadays) this is done with wires and such.
I just loved the film, an utter 10 at imdb.com.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Hi,

Fragbait,Jun 9 2005, 06:53 AM Wrote:HERO is a diamond. The story is brilliant and intriguing, the illumination and use of colors  inimitable, and the fight scenes are spectacular, to say the least. The cast acts decently, and I didn't have the impression the movie should have had a 'faster pace'.
I absolutely agree. The slow pace and the fantastic use of colors create a great, immersive mood that drew me in completely. A faster pace would just have made Hero another standard action movie.

If you liked Hero, you might consider watching "House of Flying Daggers" as well. Not as well done as Hero, but still way above average IMHO. It's also a slow-paced, atmospherical movie with fantastic (not realistic!) fights in a beautiful landscape.

And if you liked Hero, you should avoid Legend of the Evil Lake at all costs. :P A movie trying to jump on the bandwagon without having a clue what made Tiger & Dragin, Hero et al so special.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Kylearan,Jun 9 2005, 11:22 AM Wrote:If you liked Hero, you might consider watching "House of Flying Daggers" as well. Not as well done as Hero, but still way above average IMHO. It's also a slow-paced, atmospherical movie with fantastic (not realistic!) fights in a beautiful landscape.

And if you liked Hero, you should avoid Legend of the Evil Lake at all costs.  :P  A movie trying to jump on the bandwagon without having a clue what made Tiger & Dragin, Hero et al so special.
[right][snapback]80028[/snapback][/right]
Hi Kylearan,

Being a bit of a fan of eastern action flics (some martial arts background here), I went into 'House Of Flying Daggers' a few days after the opening night.
To sum it up - it wasn't comparable to either Hero or Tiger & Dragon, and by that I mean the class of the film. Surely the eastern settings, the cast and the martial arts jumped the same bandwagon, and the film was not bad (my girlfriend liked it - and that says a lot) but there were some nits that annoyed me, for example the excessive and no-good use of computer-animated blood in the final battle. Also to me the story wasn't quite as intriguing as Hero's.
After all I ended up giving it a good 7 at imdb.com, whereas I gave
- Hero -> 10
- Tiger & Dragon ->10

It's in good company though, for 7 is already a rather good rating that I chose for these films as well (excerpt):
- 8 Mile
- Lost In Translation
- Minority Report
- Shaun Of The Dead
- The Ring

I think the bad ratings begin below 6. 6 is still entertaining though somehow flawed, but with 5, things start to get really annoying, e.g.
- Kingdom Of Heaven
- The Ring Two

Oops. Did I get carried away? :ph34r:

Anyways.
Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.