Video game soundtracks
What are some of you favorites.

Personally I enjoy the 7th Legion soundtrack (even thouh the game sucks.) It is a very fast beat soundtrack with a few songs that would be very nice if played in a club. It also suits the mood of the game very well (see below.)

7th Legion is an RTS game where the Chosen (a group sent to colonize space centuries ago) battle the 7th Legion. (those left behind) The mood of the game is one that makes you feel you are fighting you ancestors battles for them. Warring over centuries old grudges. The movies (they are high quality and frequent) give you a sense of unavoidable doom and with the uncertainty of what is to come still there. The game's units are cool but there are some major problems that make this game suck.

1. Both sides are practically identical. Though the units look different, both sides play 100% the same. Remind anyone of Warcraft 2?

2. The AI is horrible. I mean really really awful, as in the worst RTS AI EVER! These guys will make Valkyrie's AI seem genius level.

There is a patch on the Microprose website that fixes the AI though which is why I do recomend that you check it out sometime. It's worth it just for the music if you like techno. (If you find an EB that has it you will literally pay about $2 for it)
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I like the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Soundtrack, if that counts ;)
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Sure this was a post about video game soundtracks? You posted more on the game then the music :huh:

On game soundtracks, I've recently just aquired the Morrowind soundtrack from the Collector's Edition. Personally, I loved the soundtrack, and I suggest anyone who liked the game music to pick it up. Amazon.com had the Collector's Edition on sale for 19.99, but now it's back up to 59.99 :(

The Icewind Dale soundtrack is absolutely beautiful. It can be found inside theIcewind Dale: The collection game bundle. It has some very haunting tracks, which I love.

The WarCraft III Collector's Edition also had a soundtrack. The music was a bit loud and too war-like for me, but it was still enjoyable.

I bought a import of the Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack, but I only liked a few tracks out of 40+. (Probably bought a cheap one)

The Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time was a great soundtrack. There are several different ones roaming the net, but the import one I purchased from eBay turned out fantastic. The music is most unique and relaxing.

That's pretty much all of the soundtracks I've listened to. If you were going to buy just one of the soundtracks I've mentioned, I'd have to suggest the Icewind Dale soundtrack. RPGamers.net is a website that hosts a ton of game soundtracks on ftps. I really don't approve of the site, and the ftp servers have always been full. But if anyone has any luck connecting to them, they (supposedly) have hundreds of soundtracks available for download.
I'm a big fan of Nobou Uematsu's pieces in the Final Fantasy-series.

I also like the music from Silent Hill II (the music, not the ambient crap). The music from Soulblade and Resident evil is also pretty neat.

If you check out http://www.angel.fenre.org/ , you can find some songs from these games. (as well as some other songs).
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Final Fantasy VI has awesome music. Out of all the FF's, to me, this soundtrack is the greatest by far. It catches the moods so well, and it just flows so nicely.

Super Metroid, again, sets the mood perfectly. I could (and sometimes do) listen to the tracks for hours.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert had one song: Hell March. Always gets me pumped. If you've played Red Alert, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Hell March 2 is also pretty cool.

Old NES games have some great tunes. The Vs. Battle music for Trojan is just too damn catchy, as well are the themes for Dr. Mario and Punch Out.

Oh! And how could I almost forget the Tristram theme. So awesome. I'm sure the memories that come with the tune have something to do with it, but that aside, it's still incredible. Which reminds me, is there somewhere I could get the other original Diablo songs? Like the Caves, etc.

There are a bunch of other game songs as well. I don't think there's really any that've annoyed me or stood out as terrible so far. At least, none that I can remember.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
Dozer,Jun 15 2003, 07:05 AM Wrote:I like the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Soundtrack, if that counts ;)
I'll second that one.

I really had no interest in any of the GTA games, until I watched a friend playing GTA:VC for about 30 seconds. He hopped on a crotch-rocket, and when the radio started playing Flock of Seagulls, I HAD to have that game.

I'm glad too, because wow, was I missing an amazing game.

For those who haven't played it, GTA:Vice City takes place in 1986, in a setting much like the Miami Vice TV show, with you as a gangster. There are several radio stations you can listen to in vehicles that play real 80's music. By real, I mean:

Pop station:
Micheal Jackson
Yes
Hall and Oates
ELO
INXS
Joe Jackson
The Fixx

Soft Rock station:
Toto
Foreigner
Cutting Crew
Night Ranger
REO Speedwagon

"New Wave" station:
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Tears for Fears
Blondie
Flock of Seagulls
Corey Hart
Animotion

Metal station:
Ozzy Osborne
Twisted Sister
David Lee Roth
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Motley Crue

There is also a "funk"(?) station, rap station, a spanish station, an NPR station, and a talk radio station that I never listened to, except the one time I caught rap station playing "Rock It" by Herbie Hancock.

A lot of the voices were done by famous actors like Ray Liotta, Tom Sizemore, Phillip Michael Thomas (Tubbs from Miami Vice), Burt Reynolds, Jenna Jameson (:blink:), Dennis Hopper, Gary Busey, Fairuza Balk, and even a radio call-in from Lee Majors.

Oh, also, the gameplay was lots of fun, and not just "steal a bunch of cars" like I thought it would be.
I don't know if you'd call it an "official" soundtrack, but seriously, my favorite song of all time is that dang music in Tristram. Its so gentile and peaceful, yet there is a seriousness about it that demands action. When I play D2, I find myself stopping in Tristram longer than just "freeing" cain, to listen to the music, and when I play The Dark, after I've been playing for hours and get tired and my eyes start to burn, I sit with my eyes closed and listen to the music and let my mind drift. It is without a doubt my favorite song.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Yeah, its amazing what they were able to do on the NES and SNES systems for music.

Megaman 2 had fantastic music. Metroid's music was super creepy in some areas, and set the tone really well. I'll never forget the Contra theme, Ghosts and Goblins, or the theme to Super Mario Bros.

Yeah, the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack was awesome. FFIV was pretty good for its time as well. Chrono Trigger was great, I especially loved the final Lavos battle theme. Square really had some impressive musical talent.

Getting to the PSX, Final Fantasy VIII may have been a few steps backward in story, mechanics, and character development quality, but the music makes me... emotional, especially the Balamb Garden theme, and the piano one that plays outside some minor area that uses some of the same melody... it is called "Ami" on the mp3 I have, but I am not sure that is correct.

If you haven't heard them, I recommend going to the Minibosses website, and downloading their NES song covers. It's pretty amusing to hear Castlevania played by real instruments. They should also have a link somewhere to the Jenova project-- a short lived band that has two Final Fantasy VI themes (Zozo, and Searching for Friends) for download. Those are both live, unfortunately, so there is some yelling and stuff in the background.
I actually didn't mind the storyline in FFVIII. I thought the one in FFX was worse. (overall the tenth installment was much worse than 7 and 8, which are the only ones I've played.)

As for Final fantasy-music, I think this is the best song:
www.home.no/lzp/2~13 - Final Fantasy.mp3

It's the main theme performed live.

In the spirit of the thread I copied all my FF-music back onto the harddrive (I had to burn it due to lack of storage space. I have a new hard drive now) and it turend out I had 350 Final fantasy-related songs, amounting to 1,5GB of music :P

If you like Final Fantasy, you should check out M. Huang. He's arranged many of the songs exclusively for piano only. Although I usually don't care very much for this song, I am now listening to a piano-version of Final Fantasy VII's "One-winged Angel"
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
The Tony Hawk Pro Skater games have great soundtracks :)
The music from ChronoTrigger and Secret of Mana :)
And you do not ask the cost...
*Grumbles something that the uber-reply button is missing on this forum, and after a few weeks on another IPS Board with the button he keeps clicking the "Post New Topic" button*

Front Mission (SNES) is still way up there at number 1 on my top-ten game soundtracks. There are a helluva lot of pieces that literally blow everything in the FF series out of the water. Destructive Logic (Final mission track) is absolutely, positively, one of the best videogame tracks ever composed. My God, I have never heard anything better than this.

Super Metroid is another favourite, though the only track that stands out to me is the second Norfair track (Hidden section, Ridley's area).

Golden Sun, another favourite, and has yet to be surpassed on the system. The soundtrack for GS: The Lost Age is, while good, drastically inferior, though there are still quite a few tracks that beat the pants off anything composed in the last few years.

MegaMan X had quite a few very good tracks, particulary Storm Eagle's theme, and the first Ending track (Very dramatic).

Dumping music is a little hobby of mine, and on the notepad next to me is a list for CPS-2 soundtracks to be dumped, cut, and looped. SFA2: Akuma's Theme, SPFIIT: Akuma's Theme, SFA3: Proof of Divinity (Adon), SFA3: Groan (Akuma), Vampire Savior: Tower of Arrogance (Felicia) (Though the static whine at the start is a complete bitch to work with), Vampire Savior: Credits Roll, and a few more I've just noted down using just four-hex designations. Currently, I'm working on getting them to loop for BGM in StarCraft maps for anyone who may need them, but I may dump "full" (Intro, loop twice, fade on third loop) versions if anyone wants.

Oh, and how the hell couldn't I have mentioned Syndicate Wars, Uplink, HardWar, or Homeworld? If anyone could get me the weird AIFF codec Relic used for Homeworld's tracks I'd be grateful.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I still listen to Deus Ex Soundtrack at work.

It came with the game of the year edition.

I'll also second the Morrowind soundtrack as being excellent.

Anyone notice how games are becoming more movie-like in their quality, and release schedules.

Mark
More fun then twins on a sugar high!!
Without doubt, the most in-tune ambient mood music I have encountered whilst playing a computer game comes from Man of War 2

"Huh?" you ask, and scratch your head in wonder. MoW2 is this cheap, low-tech Age of Sail warfare simulator, but unlike the Age of Sail games, you command and fight your ships from the first-person perspective of a officer topside on one of the hulls. So, combine the visual sensation of being upon the deck of a wooden frigate with the most excellently in-theme music soundtrack, and what you have is a surprisingly immersive and memorable game.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Nobody mentioned the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack :huh: ?

Also:

Fallout 1 & 2

Warcraft II

Total Annihilation

Heavy Gear (1)

Vampire: The Mascarade - Redemption.

C&C Red Alert

Planescape: Torment

There's so mant more i can't remember :(

The site gamebasement.com used to have (and probably stil does) a "game radio" section. Basically you stream soundtracks from *many* games in WMA format to your MP3/windows media player. There's alot of good stuff on their playlist.
I like the Quake 2 soundtrack and the Morrowind soundtrack.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
My ABSOLUTE favorite background music is the VCPR station: I would quote some stuff, but the entire thing is so good, I'l just post a link to the full transcript:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/gr...e_city_vcpr.txt
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Can't link to GameFAQs like that.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
I can't believe I forgot about PS:T. Fantastic soundtrack.
for soothing, pleasant to listen to background music, you simply cannot beat that for 'Order' from Lords of Magic.

On more than one occassion, I've booted up the game cd, let it be while the soundtrack played (volume cranked WAY up btw. Great sound card and speakers make for a wonderful thing :D ) and then proceeded to meander about the house doing daily chores.
Why do I park my car in the driveway, then drive on the parkway?