Dual Spec details on MMO-champion
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topi...46667#msg646667
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/unde...lspec.html

Very exciting.

Talent Dual Spec Q&A with Ghostcrawler
With the next content patch, we will be introducing a number of additions and changes to the game. One new feature in the works is the ability to set up two separate sets of talents, or "dual spec". While the complete feature may not be immediately available in the Public Test Realms (PTR) and specifics are still liable to change, we wanted to go over some questions with Senior Game Designer Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street to find out more.

Nethaera: What is dual speccing?
Ghostcrawler: Dual speccing is the ability to save two separate talent specs, glyphs, and action bars.

Nethaera: Why are we allowing players to dual spec after all this time?
Ghostcrawler: We really felt like this was a great way to increase the flexibility available to players and encourage them to take part in more aspects of the game. To use just one example, some players like to participate in both raids and Arenas, which is awesome behavior that we want to promote. But, there are some talents which are more useful in one part of the game than another. Currently, players have to pay respec costs and go through the process of setting up the desired talent spec and action bars whenever they switch.

The new system makes this a much more logical process, saving on time and cost and allowing players to easily move from one aspect of the game to another.

Nethaera: Who will be able to use it?
Ghostcrawler: Players who have reached the maximum level will be able to set up dual specs.

Nethaera: Why do players need to be max level in order to do this?
Ghostcrawler: We didn’t want to burden lower-level players with extra complexity as they’re working to level up and learn their class. But if the feature proves popular we might consider expanding it.

Nethaera: How will you be able to set up a dual spec?
Ghostcrawler: Players will be able to visit their trainer and pay a one-time fee to be able to use it.

Nethaera: How do you switch between specs?
Ghostcrawler: Players will be able to switch between their talent specs by visiting any Lexicon of Power provided they’ve paid for the ability to have a secondary spec. Lexicons of Power will be available in major cities, and inscribers will also be able to create a new item that summons one. Anyone can purchase this item, but it requires a ritual of several players to summon it for use by the party. It’s similar to a repair bot in that it will exist in the world for a short duration. It’s important to keep in mind that you will not be able to switch specs while in combat or Arenas. While you won’t be able to switch your spec without the Lexicon, you will still be able to look at your secondary spec whenever you want to.

Nethaera: Will solo players have the ability to switch their specs outside of the cities or will they still need to visit a Lexicon of Power?
Ghostcrawler: Solo players will still need to go into the city to visit the Lexicon of Power to switch their talent spec or will need to get together with other players to summon one in.

Nethaera: Is the item that allows you to summon a Lexicon of Power reusable, or is it used up?
Ghostcrawler: We haven’t made a final decision on that yet, and will be evaluating how it works on the PTR.

Nethaera: Can I respec only one of my talent sets, or will I need to respec them both if I reset one?
Ghostcrawler: When you reset your talents, it will look at the spec you currently have in use as the talent set you want to change.

Nethaera: Will you be able to switch gear easily to match your spec?
Ghostcrawler: At the same time we implement dual specs, we will also be setting up a gear system. The feature is called “Gear Manager.” It can also be used to just swap weapons or trinkets or put on that tuxedo to strut around town. It will not automatically switch your gear when you change your talent spec, but it will allow for an easy gear change between them. The feature may not be fully functional immediately in the PTR, but we’ll have more information to share about it before too much longer.

Nethaera: What about hunters? Often their pet talents are set up to match the talents of the hunter. Will they be able to switch their pet specs as well?
Ghostcrawler: We will wipe the pet talents. However we are going to remove the respec cost for pet talents so that players won’t feel like they need to jump through an additional hoop to respec their pet. In addition, we are going to provide hunters a new core ability to let them remotely access their stable on a long cooldown. This way if their exotic pet heads off to the stable, they will be able to get a different pet. We hope to be able to discuss this new spell in more detail when we get a little further along.

Nethaera: Will you be able to change your Glyphs as well?
Ghostcrawler: Glyphs will be tied to each talent spec so that if you switch between them, so too will the Glyphs. You’ll notice the UI will have changed a little bit so that the Glyph panes show up alongside the Talent panes now that they are associated.

Nethaera: What about hotbars? Will players be able to save them for the talent spec they’re running?
Ghostcrawler: Yes, you will be able to save hotbars and use them with your talent specs. It just saves your bars at the same time as it saves the glyphs and talents. If you want to switch to your other action bar, you will need to change specs.

Nethaera: Is there a way for players to choose their talents without them being saved? Currently, once you spend your talent point, it’s spent unless you pay the respec cost again.
Ghostcrawler: With the dual spec feature, we are going to allow players who respec to configure all their talents before they get saved. They will be able to allocate the points, then choose if they want to use that as their spec, rather than needing to carefully diagram out their talents ahead of time. This will allow players a little more freedom when deciding on the talents they want to pick and avoid costly mistakes.

Nethaera: Will players be confined to only setting up two specs?
Ghostcrawler: We will be launching the feature with just two specs, but depending on how we feel it works out, we might consider additional specs in the future.

Nethaera: When can players expect to try out dual specs?
Ghostcrawler: Players will be able to try out the dual spec system on the Public Test Realms when they are made available. This has been a pretty big project with a lot of people working toward making it a reality in the game. We’ll definitely be watching the feedback and looking for ways of making sure the system works the way we all envisioned it to.

Interesting! I wonder how much this ability will cost? Considering that it's possible for hybrids to respec multiple times per week, they could put the price decently high and still have it be worthwhile. On the flip side, as a rogue (who doesn't PvP much) I don't forsee it being too beneficial. I'd probably pick it up anyway if it's cheap enough though.
Quote:Interesting! I wonder how much this ability will cost? Considering that it's possible for hybrids to respec multiple times per week, they could put the price decently high and still have it be worthwhile. On the flip side, as a rogue (who doesn't PvP much) I don't forsee it being too beneficial. I'd probably pick it up anyway if it's cheap enough though.

Froms posts in general it sounds like it's not going to be extraordinarily high. probably 500g-1k range max?

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...geNo=4&sid=1#70
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
You don't think 500-1000g is "extraordinarily high"? >_<

Not that I can't afford it, but I really don't like paying out big bills like that.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:You don't think 500-1000g is "extraordinarily high"? >_<

Not that I can't afford it, but I really don't like paying out big bills like that.

Not really. In TBC I was respeccing twice a week for ~a year so I could arena & raid. 500-1000g < 50 weeks of 100g each.

I know of several people in our raiding body who have spent more than 500g on respecs in the last month as they are very willing to spec for heal / DPS or tank / DPS, whatever the roster needs. One person started a night DPS, ported and re-specced heal for a fight, then went back out and re-specced DPS again in one night. They have MODS so they don't have to re-enter their talents & re-arrange their bars. I think these are the people they are targeting... the Arena + raid crowd and the "I'll do anything you need" raiders. For these people 500g is nothing.

If you skip one raid, you can raise 500g on just doing your 25 daily quests (~350 in direct gold quest rewards, plus cash drops, vendor trash, and sellable drops). So no, I don't think it's extraordinarily high in order to have the convenience. 1k may be pushing it, but 500g is very manageable, to me anyway.

It depends on the target audience really.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
The thread Conc linked may contain the most whining per post that I have ever seen.

edit: And it looks like it may continue here! Oh joy!

Seriously, if it is too expensive, don't pay for it. Keep on truckin how you are.
Quote:If you skip one raid, you can raise 500g on just doing your 25 daily quests (~350 in direct gold quest rewards, plus cash drops, vendor trash, and sellable drops). So no, I don't think it's extraordinarily high in order to have the convenience. 1k may be pushing it, but 500g is very manageable, to me anyway.

It depends on the target audience really.

I guess. 500g would be okay, but 1k... Meh.

I have several different characters I'd want it on (though they aren't 80 yet...) and 1k on each... Ouch.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I'm not really disagreeing with you on any point Conc, but I still want more from Blizzard. :)

I actually would like to have at least 5 specs on the paladin. Raid heal, Raid DPS, Raid tank, PvP DPS, and PvP Heal.

The reason being that I still like to do many different things in game but don't want to invest the 100 hours or so to level 2 or 3 other toons to 80 then the all the extra time to get them the extra gear. In Vanilla and TBC I got a lot of enjoyment from doing that. But I'm still looking at 60 hour work weeks and other obligations.

It's why I play the pally (that and the druid was only 42 when wrath launched the pally was 70). For heroic 5 mans, which are still my favorite content type, it doesn't matter. Healing as ret is fine for pretty much all the heroics and with the right healer and for most instances you can tank as ret as well (well at least Violet Hold) at least for guild runs and I don't PuG.

But I like to be spec'd for the job in raids and while I've not raid tanked I'm geared for it.

2 specs I can probably make work for Raid Heal, Raid DPS and PvP Heal, though the raid or PvP heal spec would be sub optimal.

So I still figure I might see some respec costs in my future.

I haven't read the forum posts, just the initial Q&A but from that it looks like I might still be able to use the 2 specs, with some work and mods (that I already have an hope get updated to handle the new system) to still be able to get free respecs for all 6 or so specs I might want to use. But I'm not sure you can modify one of the dual specs for free or not. If you can, I'll be fine. I'll be able to change one of the dual specs to tanking or PvP or whatever. But if I can't then I might still be looking at 50 gold here and there along with the one time lump sum.

But it will be nice to be able to change mid raid with the new summonable.

I also realize I'm probably a fringe case.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I guess. 500g would be okay, but 1k... Meh.

I have several different characters I'd want it on (though they aren't 80 yet...) and 1k on each... Ouch.

If you do things right, you will have more gold than you know what to do with at 80. Ultimately you should hit 80 somewhere in Zul'Drak if you do all of the prior zones completely first. This leaves you part of Zul'Drak, Sholzzar, Storm Peaks, and Ice Crown for money with over 300 quest giving you aroung 10g per (some giving you more, sometimes 3 times as much).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:If you do things right, you will have more gold than you know what to do with at 80. Ultimately you should hit 80 somewhere in Zul'Drak if you do all of the prior zones completely first. This leaves you part of Zul'Drak, Sholzzar, Storm Peaks, and Ice Crown for money with over 300 quest giving you aroung 10g per (some giving you more, sometimes 3 times as much).

A lot of this depends on playtime. People who play less often see money a lot less grindy than people who play more. These are the people most frustrated by these kinds of things. If you play 3 hours a week it's a big deal. If you play 10 hours a week it's a lot less of an issue.

Like I said, it depends on the target audience.
You can do raid healing and PvP healing with one spec, assuming you aren't talking about arenas or very specific things like 10 man Sarth with 3 drakes (which pretty much demands you have Divine Guardian.) I use one spec for both raiding and outdoor/BG PvP and it works fine, then respec for arenas once a week;)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.

I think 3 sets of saved talents would be nice, then "hybrid" class raiders can have 2 PvE roles + 1 PvP/Areana talent spec.

For people like RTM they can go with a PvE, PvP, and WhopperJr spec.

-WimpySmurf
Gracile 85 DK wowarmory
Faible 83 Pally wowarmory
Wimpy 82 War wowarmory
Zwakke 80 Sha wowarmory
Quote:I think 3 sets of saved talents would be nice, then "hybrid" class raiders can have 2 PvE roles + 1 PvP/Areana talent spec.

For people like RTM they can go with a PvE, PvP, and WhopperJr spec.

-WimpySmurf

I'd love to see them extend this beyond 2 specs. Don't get me wrong, 2 specs is so much better than 1 but I'd love to have a dps mana regen, full dps, and healing spec for Dunar.

Quote:I'd love to see them extend this beyond 2 specs. Don't get me wrong, 2 specs is so much better than 1 but I'd love to have a dps mana regen, full dps, and healing spec for Dunar.

If they start going to three specs, they should just give us a button labelled "respec". There's no point in just extending a multiple-spec feature further and further to accomodate all the corner cases. The way I see it, dual is about the limit, before the whole idea of pay-for-respec just becomes obsolete.

-Jester
Quote:If they start going to three specs, they should just give us a button labelled "respec". There's no point in just extending a multiple-spec feature further and further to accomodate all the corner cases. The way I see it, dual is about the limit, before the whole idea of pay-for-respec just becomes obsolete.

-Jester

I dunno. They could make it 500g per extra spec. So, if you swap between 3 (or 4 or 5) on a regular basis, it could be worth it to buy them. If you don't, then paying for respecs like you do today might be better.

500g was an example. I think it more likely they would use a sliding scale like they did for bank slot: 500g for a 2nd spec. 1000g for a 3rd, 2000 for a 4th, etc.
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
Quote:I think it more likely they would use a sliding scale like they did for bank slot: 500g for a 2nd spec. 1000g for a 3rd, 2000 for a 4th, etc.
Plus make an achievement for buying the last one so that people who don't need it at all are still tempted to buy it.
Quote:You can do raid healing and PvP healing with one spec, assuming you aren't talking about arenas or very specific things like 10 man Sarth with 3 drakes (which pretty much demands you have Divine Guardian.) I use one spec for both raiding and outdoor/BG PvP and it works fine, then respec for arenas once a week;)

Mana Tide on 3D Sarth is the only reason I respec to PvE heal.