Tips for a newbie golfer?
I've never played golf before, but I figure it's about time I had a hobby that gets me outside for a few hours per week. Golf looks like it might be right up my alley.

I'm not a total golf idiot -- I've watched my fair share of pro golf on TV. I know most of the rules and such. I've just never actually swung a club. But I suspect that pro golf is quite a bit different than playing a round with a couple of drinking buddies :)

As such, I have a few questions.

What kind of ettiquette should I be aware of while playing on local courses?

I bought a 7-piece set. That's 4 irons, 2 drivers, and a putter. What about a wedge? Do I really need one? Could I just use a 9-iron to pitch out of bunkers for now, and buy a cheap-o used wedge down the road?

How long does a normal game (18 holes) of golf take, assuming - say - I play with 2 other people? Cost?

How many balls should I buy for my first round? Tees? Other paraphenalia? Is the really expensive gear THAT much better than the cheap stuff?

How many more questions can I pack into this post?

-DeeBye
DeeBye,Jun 9 2003, 10:15 PM Wrote:I've never played golf before, but I figure it's about time I had a hobby that gets me outside for a few hours per week.  Golf looks like it might be right up my alley.

DeeBye

Be patient. :)

Remember, it is the kind of game where you can get better as you grow older. One of my neighbours is 94 and still golfs. One day my husband asked him "Do you ever *get* it? Do you ever reach a point where you know exactly what you are doing and can make it happen every time?" His answer was: "Yes, but by then you have lost your distance."
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

My wife and I took lessons through community education 1 day a week for a few months when we started. I think it was well worth it, and its not that expensive compared to the gear.. They teach you the basics of grip, stance, club selection, how to address the ball for different situations, etc. Anyway, you might also meet some other golf newbs ( :D ) that you can play with. I had a little more experience than my wife when we started, as my dad used to drag me out with him and his buddies once in a while when I was young. To practice he would just give me a club, show me how to hold it, then have me hit the small plastic whiffle golf balls around the yard. The only big secret I can share into the mystery of golf is that accuracy must come before power. You need to learn how to hit the ball squarely, with a good grip, and in the right stance before you can add alot of muscle to your swings. My wife many times out drives me, just because she hit it correctly rather than harder.

You might want to start with at a driving range to get the feel of driving the ball long distances, and also start at a smaller 9 hole par 3 course. Nothing is more frustrating (for you and the people behind you) than when you need to hit 10 drives down a 550 yard par 5 fairway. Big courses can be quite pricey, and I'm not into the status thing, so I usually play on municipal courses.

Quote:What kind of ettiquette should I be aware of while playing on local courses?
Generally, the biggest problem you will have at first is playing fast enough. If groups start to stack up behind you, you need to let them "play through". It happens to me all the time as I eschew the notion of renting a golf cart and eliminating the actual exercise. Try to stay out of other peoples shots. Don't disrupt the course too much. Replace your divots. Basically, the common sense stuff to respect other peoples attempts to play the game as well.

As for the number of balls you bring... That also depends on where you play. Around here most courses have alot of water to hit around, so losing many balls during play is quite likely. You will only need as many tees as you have tee offs, and some times you will be able to retrieve them. The only other recommendation would be that you get a glove that fits to protect your hands.

Anyway, that is enough for now... You should have a blast!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Those that hate golf... and those that hate golf and still play it. I'm one of the latter.

Quote:I bought a 7-piece set. That's 4 irons, 2 drivers, and a putter. What about a wedge? Do I really need one? Could I just use a 9-iron to pitch out of bunkers for now, and buy a cheap-o used wedge down the road?

No, you don't. If you want to lug around the extra weight, more power to you. When you're first on the driving range you'll notice one thing: Every damned club hits the exact same distance (usually ~150 yards). You're going to have to get used to the clubs and how they swing, where to place the ball in your stance (forward, back, in, out) before you truly start benefiting from the loft of the irons and the distance of the woods. Woods, by the way, are usually the Achilles' Heel for most beginners; it has everything to do with the length of the shaft and distance from your body. You'll find more control when the shaft is shorter and you're swinging closer to your body... hence the low irons will usually come into line first.

Summary: Get a feel for the game before you start investing in additional/different clubs. Knowing if you are enjoying playing vs. helicoptering your clubs into the nearest water hazard also helps make the decision.

Quote:How long does a normal game (18 holes) of golf take, assuming - say - I play with 2 other people? Cost?

Assuming urban course, midday, midweek, stopping for a beer and sandwich after nine: about 3 - 3.5 hours. If you're dealing with weekend, evening or anything else that brings out the masses... be prepared to stand around a lot.

Cost ranges from amazingly cheap to friggin' goddamn 'spensive. Again: urban vs. rural vs. public vs. private vs. ripped-up vs. impeccably groomed.

Quote:How many balls should I buy for my first round? Tees? Other paraphenalia?

Balls: one box. CHEAP box. You don't need to practice hitting Titlests into the drink.
Tees: one bag should do you a season. I've known several people that eschew tees completely.
Other: A cap for your noggin. Sunscreen SPF 45 (trust me). Insect repellent with Deet in it.

Quote:Is the really expensive gear THAT much better than the cheap stuff?

No. Certainly not for a beginner, and debatable for a professional. The USGA regulates equipment so that no one person can gain an unfair advantage over another via equipment alone. That includes balls, clubs, T-shirts or anything else. Don't believe the hype, here or any other place it hypes itself.

Gordie Howe once won a tournament with the cheapest set he could buy (MacGregors... I think he doled out $150). A duffer with a complete set of Taylor Made's is still a duffer. He looks good... until he actually swings. No one on the course is impressed with a moron that owns $2k worth of equipment and looks like he's excavating with it.

Enjoy!
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Hail Deebye,

Quote:I've never played golf before, but I figure it's about time I had a hobby that gets me outside for a few hours per week. Golf looks like it might be right up my alley.

I have also just started playing golf. Started a few weeks ago, and have played about five days worth. I also knew of all the rules, but never swang a club. I'm 19, and played all kinds of sports all my life, so I figured adapting to golf wouldn't be too hard.....Was I wrong....

First, I would suggest learning and trying the few proper ways to hold and swing a club (ask a friend, browse the net, or buy a video for a last resort.) If you just go off and try your own style, you'll be so used to it you won't want to switch. I figured, hey, having my own style is just fine- I'll just keep on doing it and get good at it. Well, one of my friends also started golf the same time as me, but he bought a video and forced himself to try the proper style. Starting out I was a better, mostly because he was struggling to hold and swing the proper way. But now he is WAY more consistant and is playing far better then I. From that I learned that the game of golf requires a lot of technique, and when you get the technique down, you allow yourself to struggle less with the physical aspects and focus more on the mental aspects.

Quote:What kind of ettiquette should I be aware of while playing on local courses?

Last weekend was my first time playing on a really, really nice golf course. My friends and I were pretty nervous about the ettiquette because we all have never been to a nice golf course. While there was a board and paper notes detailing basic ettiquette, I wanted to know more- so I wouldn't make a complete fool of myself. Everything else I needed to know from ettiquette was from watching others on the first two holes. I suggest you do the same.

Quote:I bought a 7-piece set. That's 4 irons, 2 drivers, and a putter. What about a wedge? Do I really need one? Could I just use a 9-iron to pitch out of bunkers for now, and buy a cheap-o used wedge down the road?

Sorry, I can't give you much advice because I've always used a pitching wedge for the needed situations. Though if your clubs are quality, I would think it would be better of using a quality 9-iron then a cheap-o PW.

Quote:How long does a normal game (18 holes) of golf take, assuming - say - I play with 2 other people? Cost?

My recent 18 hole game at a very high quality golf course took about five and a half hours with four friends. Waited about 5 minutes per hole- and I suggest you get a cart. At a quality golf course, it could run you from 60 - 200 a game. I have played on a course that cost seven bucks for nine holes, and a course that cost 75 for 18. I suggest if your just starting out, go to a cheap place. Most cheap places have shorter fields. Which is good if your starting out. Trust me, it would be more fustrating then fun if you just start out on a 500+ distance field.

Quote:How many balls should I buy for my first round? Tees? Other paraphenalia? Is the really expensive gear THAT much better than the cheap stuff?

How many balls depends if you play 9 or 18 holes, and how bad you slice your balls =P When I first started out, and I was about average, and I used 3 balls on 9 holes. On a 18 hole course I used 8 balls. I always carry around 15 on me though. As for tees, just stock up. They are cheap. Plus when you first play, you might forget to pick them up after you tee off, as a lot of people do. Though I have played 9 holes without using my own tees. As I said before, it seems a lot of people forget their tees. I've survived on just golf balls and tees, no other expensive paraphenalia.

Wish I could talk more, but I'm starting a new job tomorrow morning. I'll reply if I find anything else to add. Hope this helped. Golf is indeed a great game. Starting off is a bumpy ride, but there is almost nothing like playing on a nice 18 hole golf course with a bunch of friends.
Hi,

Forget your bad shots, remember your good ones. Stay calm, have fun. And if you are getting too frustrated, pick up and write that hole off.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I picked up the game last season, and by now have been out to play a total of 36 holes (mmm, municipal nine hole courses...). My biggest problem is that I don't play very often [read twice a summer] so it's hard to get back to where I felt comfortable standing over the ball the last time I played. The only advice I can offer is don't bring a cell phone to the course (turned off, on silent whatever...) just leave it in the car. Also, always be early for your tee time, and humor the starter, no matter what s/he asks, just humor him/her, it'll pay off in the long run.

I'm still trying to live up to my dream of making it onto the senior tour. I figure I should have enough time to practice, I'm 24.

Good luck DeeBye, hopefully you'll be better off than me the first time round. Definitely bring a full box of balls on your first round. On my first nine holes, I lost four: two in the water on #3 :( , one on the other side of the same pond from the #7 tee :angry: , and one, :unsure: well, lets just say it went a bit to far to the right. I haven't used a wood anywhere other than the range since...
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you know anyone who plays seriously, have them go over grip and basic swing with you before you go out the first time.

Make several trips to the driving range before you ever play on a course. You really want to be at the point where most of swings make contact with the ball before you play a course :) Seriously though, I think I would count this as a point of etiquette that you should not venture onto a real golf course until you've hit a few hundred balls.

At the driving range, start with the 5 or 7 iron. I'd push a tee almost all the down and hit off that at first. Woods are kind of difficult to get the hang of.

You don't really need a wedge right now. If you actually enjoy the game after a few times out, a wedge would be the first extra club to add to your bag.

As far as time goes, 9 holes should take 2-3 hours. 18 holes should take 5-6 hours. When you decide to play on a course for the first time, I would look for a cheap course and play 9 holes. Around here that would cost about $10 (U.S.) per player. You do not want a lush, beautiful golf course with elevated greens, defined rough, pristine ponds, and glistening sand traps. What you want is a big flat hunk of land that someone put greens on and turned into a cheap golf course with as few obstacles as possible :) Depending on where you play, you may have to reserve a tee time in advance.

Have at least a dozen balls in your bag, probably more. You should only lose a few (depending on the course) but you don't want to run out. For tees, just buy a bag of them and it should last you a long time. Go for the cheap stuff... a new player will not notice the difference for the really expensive gear.

Etiquette, hmmm: Be willing to let faster people behind you "play through", unless you are usually being held up by the groups in front of you. Don't shoot until the group ahead of you is well past the area you are aiming for. Try to keep a good pace, but there is only so much you can do about that.

That's about it. Respect the rules of golf, but be willing to cheat a little if you get stuck (if you hit the same hazard more than once, pick up and move on before you lose too many balls and waste too much time).
The cheap stuff is fine, your swing can carry you to a 10 handicap if you build it reasonably well and putt with even modest competence -- using cheap clubs. Take it from one who knows. :) Used sets, sets of models that have closed out and are on clearance are all effective ways to get decent clubs without breaking the bank.

I can't emphasize that enough. Do not go and buy a whole bunch of clubs, what you have is good enough to start with. Take the time, and the 60-100 dollars, to find a pro and get him or her to teach you:

Proper grip.

(Ben Hogan's book, and Harvey Pennick's book are also excellent sources of how to do that, as is Jack Nicklaus' 'Golf My Way'. )

Proper stance. Proper body position Proper fooot and leg action.

The golf swing is a matter of winding and unwinding a spring. You store energy, anchored by your feet, then release it as you swing the club. The back swing stores the energy, the down swing, which DOES NOT START WITH THE HANDS, releases it. (A subtle weight shift and letting your hands drop down into 'the slot' about waist high are usually what create the most effective ball contact. BUT GET A PRO TO HELP YOU.) Each golf swing should be built to the person. Mine wont help you, (it don't help me much) Trevino's could not help Palmer, and Tiger Woods' swing cant help David Duval.

How to get from the top of the back swing to the release point to the follow through, and the need to swing through the ball, and all that fundamental detail, is why a teaching pro is critical.

My only golf regret is that I did not take lessons the first day. After two plus years of hacking about, I took lessons, and have been undoing the damage ever since, 18 years later. :) I have studied the golf swing in detail, too much so, and sadly stopped playing in 1997 for a few years due to both injuries and lack of affordable courses. I am back at it, and on the long road to recovering my best handicap, an 11. I am at 18 right now.

About clubs.

The best thing to do is find used clubs, and buy them. Your starter set is fine to start with and good to learn to hit with, but yes, you do need a sand wedge, and a pitching wedge, and pretty soon. A 9 iron out of a trap requires that you open the face a great deal and hit about 2 inches behind the ball with a full follow through. A sand wedge makes the whole evolution easier.

How big are you? If you are between 5 foot eight and six foot, chances are a standard set will take care of you. The golf clubs need to fit you. If you are really short or really tall, consider getting or finding clubs with a flat, for short, or upright, for tall, lie. (That refers to the angle between the ground and the shaft with the club head resting on the ground.

Oh yeah, once the pro gives you lessons, practice, even if only once per week, but practice what he taught you. Practice thoughts are best focused on 'what to do' rather than what not to do. <=== Read that again. Don't take it up without lessons from a professional, and don't 'accept tips from friends' unless they are very low handicappers or went to college on a golf scholarship . . . unless all you want to do is flog (it is golf backwards for a reason) about and dig big holes in the ground and break windows in the parking lot and drink beer. Those are all fun to do also, been there, done that. :)

Proper grip, stance, ball and body position are without a doubt the things you need to learn way early so you don't have to un learn them.

I love golf. I hate golf. Golf is great, but it is way more fun if you have an inkling about what you are doing. A very modest investment in lessons will save you thousands in club costs (buying a better game) in the future.

Paid political announcement: golf is meant for walking. If at all possible, walk the 18. It will keep the muscles warm for your swing, and allow you to enjoy a touch of exercise while you hunt the white spheroid.

Best of luck, golf is great, but like Diablo II, it can be addictive.

PS: if the belly aint pointed at the target in the follow through, chances are swing needs work. Learn what pronation and supination are (the rotation of your arms about their long axis) and why that is the key to solid contact.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Oh yeah, once the pro gives you lessons, practice, even if only once per week, but practice what he taught you. Practice thoughts are best focused on 'what to do' rather than what not to do. <=== Read that again. Don't take it up without lessons from a professional, and don't 'accept tips from friends' unless they are very low handicappers or went to college on a golf scholarship . .

Other have touched on letting others "play through", maintaining some decorum on the course, reading the actual posted rules, etc etc. All very good. Not unlike reading the FAQ and Etiquette of the Lurker Lounge before posting, neh?

*looks at several idiots currently present who feel that's not necessary*

ANYWAY, the one true thing I have to offer as advice on etiquette is this: Do not offer advice on the golf course. EVER. NEVER, EVER, EVER. If someone in your group is making mistakes, doing something obviously wrong... what have you; keep your mouth shut. If said person actually turns around to you and says "What's going wrong?" or "What do you see?" or "WTF?", THEN you can feel free to offer your insight. Someone who feels it's their right to comment on my every move soon finds themselves in a very cold box.

Golf is a very personal game, to me. It's a contest against yourself. As Occhi said: "...on the long road to recovering my best handicap, an 11." It's a desire to better your own score, more than anything. Partners come and go, opponents come and go; your handicap remains with you round after round after round. Your handicap is your true opponent.
Garnered Wisdom --

Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
It allows you to enter tournaments and have a hope for a respectable finish. :)

It is not your opponent, but rather a nice 'how am I doing in the overall game' measure, providing you don't cheat. Like Diablo II, there are folks who exploit the loopholes in the USGA handicapping system, and we call them

Sandbaggers.

I had to quit a Men's Golf Association after I had raised, and gotten no satisfaction from the membership, on the issue of blatant score padding and sandbagging, and my own work on the handicap committee. Equitable Stroke Control is good!
In Memory of Pete
DeeBye,Jun 10 2003, 04:15 AM Wrote:.
Ah yes, the evil.

My advice is to sell the clubs and go play darts :D If you still want to go on and play golf, here're my humble suggestions.

>What kind of ettiquette should I be aware of while playing on local
>courses?

Hmm, not sure what you refer to here, but I'll throw a wild guess' suggestion or two.

Never go in a party bigger than 4.

Let other parties that are smaller and/or faster than you overtake you. This is usually done in the start of the next hole, but you can simply step aside in the middle of the hole and let them go.

Don't throw balls over people's heads, give them a few extra yards of advantage (this might or might not apply to you, it does apply to me since I do 290-300 yards drives).

Don't speak while others swing.

Don't stand right behind someone when they're swinging. It can be very distracting.

If your ball is a fair few yards ahead of your buddy's one, wait until he hits to go to it. If it's not too far and the separation is enough then you can go next to it. The reason is simple: golf balls hurt. A lot.

>I bought a 7-piece set. That's 4 irons, 2 drivers, and a putter.
>What about a wedge? Do I really need one? Could I just use a 9-iron
>to pitch out of bunkers for now, and buy a cheap-o used wedge down
>the road?

Not really. You can get out of almost anywhere with a 9 iron, and you can do all the chipping (that is, the short shots when you're around the green and want the ball to roll, but are too far to use a putt) with a 7 iron. Only if the sand traps in your local course are really nasty (very deep with extra-soft sand) I'd recommend a sand wedge. Or for trick shots like getting the ball out of a foot-deep stream of water.

>How long does a normal game (18 holes) of golf take, assuming - say -
>I play with 2 other people? Cost?

3.5 hours is a good estimate. Cost? Depends where you are :)

>How many balls should I buy for my first round? Tees? Other
>paraphenalia? Is the really expensive gear THAT much better than the
>cheap stuff?

10 or so should be enough balls. In your first round (I asume after at least a few lessons :P) you won't be losing balls for sending them to far unknown territory, rather by sending them to water hazards ;). After that you drop to a more comfortable position and off you go. Get used balls from your local club (the ones they "fish back" from the water hazards, basically you'll be renting them ^_^)

Tees, they come in 100's packs so just stuff one of those in your bag and don't worry about it for a few months at least.

A cap.

Depending on the course, a bottle of water (if there're fountains or not).

A small towel to get the mud out of your clubs/ball (dip one end into the first lake you come accross).

A coin or some marking thingy for picking up your ball in the green. (This might sound silly, but I've more than once left my wallet in the locker or the car because I won't need it and found myself without anything to mark where the ball is).

The expensive stuff. It's just not worth it. Any set will leave 95% of the population satisfied. They don't even have to be a "fixed" set. There's only one thing to look for: if it feels/plays good, use it. For example, my set:

-I have 3 woods from 3 vendors:
1. Clear Difference. Made of methacrylate. It's funny to see it hit longer than those people with their "Greatest Big Bertha" thingies.
4. MacGregor. Oak wood.
5. Yamato. Titanium compound.

-Irons:
1. Tylor Made. I use it with moderation because, although it achieves nice distances, it always feels like hitting a rock.
4-9. Ping. Not the modern ones (whose head looks kinda chubby), but the old, smaller-headed sharp-edged ones.

Short range:
Pitch. Titleist. Rather plain. Works.
Wedge. Ye olde Sande Wedge. I don't know the make because you can't read it anymore :D Very old, the head is actually made of bronze. Very heavy. Gets me out of anywhere (including water up to 1 foot deep).
Chipper. I've always used a 7 iron for this, and it works. Then I came accross this MacGregor chipper, and as I said, if it works use it. So I do :D.
Putter. Another unknown brand, it's actually the same putter I learned with when I was like 12. It's funny to see a 6'2" guy putting with a 70 cm club :D

That is far from any "professional all-purpose rounded" club collection. Why do I need a chipper, a pitch and a wedge? Just because :)

My best Handicap: 19.

My best shot ever: A drive on a particulary dry day that hooked just as much as the fairway bent, rolled and jumped over a sand pit and landed in the green. On a 380 yard par-4. I made a 2. That felt really good.

My best round ever: a 39 on a 36-par 9 hole course in Brazil. That was the day when everything worked.

My funniest round ever: when I did 84 (gross) on a 72-par course during a tournament after severely injuring my right arm (dislocating the shoulder). The dislocation was not Golf-related :P

And so, despite being a rather mediocre player, I've got several silly stories like this to tell. So does every other golfer :lol:

----

Oh yeah, there's something I *hate* about Golf. No matter how crappy I'm playing there's always some shot/hole where I do something amazing and makes me come back the next time (see above examples) :lol:
Yes, for many things I've started in my life, getting lessons really has paid off. I don't regret any time, money, or effort I've put into training. e.g. I took up skiing at age 25, went out to the local ski lodge every couple of weeks during the winters here. They had a deal that if you wanted, they would offer a free lesson with a lift ticket. I took them up on every one, until I join the local ski racing team. Now I race thru giant slalom gates down steep hills at 40+ mph.

Anyway, same with golf. Look for deals and you will find them.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I was trying to make a reflection on how the game is within oneself, more than anything. Casting one's handicap as an opponent probably didn't illustrate that very well. Alas.
Garnered Wisdom --

My golf swing.

I tend to hit from the top as often as not, and even when I know I am doing it, I frequently can't prevent it. Most frustrating, gotta unlearn some bad muscle memory. Back to the practice range I go . . .

So, with that 'handicap,' do I get a special parking place at the golf course?

Yeah, waaaaaaay out there in the parking lot, with all of the other duffers!
In Memory of Pete
One from my dad:

Remember: gravity is stronger over water ;)
I Demand Pie.
Hail Walkiry,

Being hit with a golf ball indeed does hurt a lot. I've been hit on the back of my arm from someone teeing off, the ball unfortunately was going very fast. I was also hit on my upper back. Might be a good sign for someone like me who hasn't played much, to stop :P Another bizzare incident I had was that one of my drivers head broke off when I made contact with the ball (but mostly the ground =P ) There was a elderly couple in back of us who looked like they've never laughed their whole life, but I looked back and saw them chuckling. That was quit embarrasing.

I've heard people talk about handicaps, but I've never had it explained to me. My friends and I don't use it. Would anyone care to briefly explain it to me? Would be much appreciated!
Hi,

A golf handicap is simply a number of strokes that you (effectively) get to subtract from your score. The number is determined by your previous scores. In the USA, the USGA establishes the rules and does the calculations. http://www.usga.org/handicap/index.html is a good place to look. As you see, both the golfers and the courses are handicapped and the value for the golfers is a bit complex to calculate.

Now, how the handicap is used is pretty simple. In stroke play each player's final score for the round is the number of strokes he took minus his handicap. In match play (where each hole is a separate contest), the difference in the handicap determines how many strokes are "given" to the higher handicap player. On the score card next to each hole is a number that tells what the "precedence" of the holes are. So, for instance if Joe gives Bob four strokes, he gives one stroke on each of the four holes with the lowest (1 through 4) precedence. If the difference is more than 18, then two strokes are given on the lower precedences and one on the higher.

If you want the full gory details (not really necessary unless you're on a rules committee), then look at the rules in the USGA site.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hello DeeBye!

I have but one suggestion for a new golfer - don't stand too closely to someone making a swing. You might get hit in the chin, and you might end up in the hospital with 7 stitches in your face with your clothes soaked in the blood from the wound. Not that I would know anything about that...

-Baylan with flyby wisdom
Lessons from a pro? That never crossed my mind. I'm not so sure if I will follow that advice (though I will store it for future reference).

I intend to set a date with my father-in-law to play some golf (I'll leave the details up to him). By all accounts, he is a patient, forgiving, and informative amateur golf instructor. This is despite the fact that he is usually a very moody, gruff, and downright curmudgeony old fart. Apparently there is a whole other side to him when he gets to pass on his wordly knowledge of golf. I intend to see this side :)

I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in on this topic. You've given me a wealth of usefull advice. I'm sure I'll find it even more usefull after I've stupidly ignored it once too many times.

I especially liked "Remember: gravity is stronger over water".

-DeeBye