undead undead
Tonight I did a Pindle run and found something that I had never seen before: a Prowling Dead that could not be killed. All the other undead went down without much difficulty, but this one could not be harmed by fire, poison, cold, lightning, or physical. Nor, for that matter, magic damage.

The only thing that affected this creature was my paladin's level 24 sanctuary aura. It was knocked back and slightly damaged, but not enough to overcome its healing rate.

I thought at first that the game was locked up, but that was not the case. The creature could move around throughout the entire level and had no trouble harming us (a 96 paladin and 98 sorceress). I saved a screen shot, but it does not show much. One clue is that the mercenaries did not seem to want to target this abomination (not that I blame them). It in contrast had no scrupples about attacking them.

Has anyone else found such a creature? And lived to tell about it? I truely hope this is a bug and not a foretaste of the horrors of 1.10.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hail LavCat,

I thought they had fixed that bug! It's an old'un, but a good'un ;) I remember having many a game in vanilla DII where I would have to cry "Run!" to my team-mates upon recognising one of these being created. I cannot remember the details behind it, but I think it had something to do with being hit with specific skills, or being delivered two hits at the same time, or something like that - something silly. A search on the old Maggot Lair would possably shed some light on this, though I do believe it was a bug from 1.00 up...so you may have to go to the original forum to find posts! At any rate, it's interesting that you could injure it with Sanctuary...
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
:lol: This used to happen all the time to me, before Blizzard fixed that Charge bug. Basically your Paladin used to Charge ok, but there was a problem caused by the lag between your client machine and the server machine. The old trick for getting rid of these 'immortal monsters' was to zap them with one of the Offensive Auras.

It can still happen although I've only seen it happen once (and recently at that) since it was fixed.

There do appear to be various problems, aside from creating immortals, that can still happen with Leap Attack and Charge (probably Leap too). ;)

edit: OKD strikes again! (Old Keyboard's Disease)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I wonder if any of the necros curses like IM would work on one? Otherwise quite a weird bug. :P
Stupid is as Stupid does.
Gandalf_teh_White,Jun 30 2003, 08:01 PM Wrote:I wonder if any of the necros curses like IM would work on one? Otherwise quite a weird bug.
I thought of that! ...about five minutes too late to get back in the game with a necromancer.

Someday I hope to find another one of these undead immortals. I could hold it at bay with sanctuary while testing various curses and attacks.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."