How is your character´s strategy?
How r u guys doing? I´m a Diablo II LoD player from Brazil and I´m new here. I´m starting this topic to discuss character strategies.
I play as a Barbarian. He´s now (05/30/03) lvl 35 and his main skill is Berserk. He will soon caus a devastating damage. The best of this style is the fact that u don´t have to worry about AC, because it´s always 0. So, I can worry more aboute dmg reduction or the Silence Cruel Colossal Sword I will get somehow until I´m lvl 99.
Well, I gess that´s all for now. Cya later!
Enishi Yukishiro,May 30 2003, 11:35 AM Wrote:I´m starting this topic to discuss character strategies.
Hi

Welcome to the Lurker Lounge :)

I am sorry, but this is a huge topic to cover in one thread, isn't it?

So many character types, so many ways to build them.........

My latest project is a Bow-wielding Barbarian. :) He is clvl 34 now. He doesn't really have a main skill. He has a slvl 6 Leap, to get the heck out of the fray. He mainly skips along until he meets the enemy, then leaps back behind his mercenary and starts plinking.
He plans to drop points into Natural Resist until he hits major diminishing returns from it, thus hopefully making him the only Bow wielder I have ever made that does not suffer from low resists. Increased Speed may get a few points too, so that he need not seek faster run boots, allowing him to wear gear that will add to his damage and attack speed instead, as he won't be getting any damage improvements from skills.

Battle Orders will be maxed, with the hope of improving his mercenary's life, as the poor mercenary does have to play tank for him. Later, perhaps Battle Command will get the extra points, as there won't be many other useful places for them. :)

He will continue to use a Blessed Aim mercenary, as he will suffer from low Attack Rating no matter how much dexterity he has. He will need only sufficient strength to hold a Double Bow, as I plan to work towards as fast an arrow delivery as I can for him. Otherwise, most of his points will go to dexterity and the rest to vitality.

He probably won't be much use in Hell mode, but I don't really care. The journey is more important than the outcome. :D

See what I meant about how MANY ways there are to build a character?

Also, I am compelled (there is a little demon that lives on my shoulder and forces me to do this) to suggest that for future posts, you remember to use the word 'you' instead of the short form 'u' and the word 'are' instead of the short form 'r'. Petty, but important, as this is a forum and not a chat room. (Besides, my reputation as Grammar Nazi is at stake here...... :lol: )

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the Lounge and find it a comfortable spot to hang out. :)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hope all is well for you down in Brazil. The folks here prefer not to be 'chat spoken' to.

As to your Barbarian, check the first couple of pages of posts, and you will find that monkeycid posted a nice little guide to the Barbrian, one that you may find of interest as your character progresses.

Don't forget to use Taunt on those missile shooting monsters. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I have a lvl68 Werewolf druid with Hellslayer, Jalal's Mane and stuff. He's Strategy is simple: Hits the first monsters with Feral rage untill the Redball(Not life) is full and then smash the enemies with lvl20 Fury and use Feral rage on the last of of the group to keep Feral rage ball happy :) . I also have a lvl28(yes i just strated him) Werebear who just Shockwaves the enemies and then uses Maul to finish the job...
[Image: 1048873792431.jpeg]
And when he gets to Heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell:
One more Soldier reporting Sir -
I've served my time in Hell
Quote:My latest project is a Bow-wielding Barbarian.  He is clvl 34 now. He doesn't really have a main skill. He has a slvl 6 Leap, to get the heck out of the fray. He mainly skips along until he meets the enemy, then leaps back behind his mercenary and starts plinking.

<Sob sob sob> :( I saw a "ranger" one time in cows. A pala with a wf. Considering my ama (was level 95 then i think) was using a buri, i was a bit upset.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
Ok, ok... I´m sory, but I really didn´t know about this "no chat talking" rule you (see, I really got the point!) have around here. Anyway, I´m going to try (do you allow gonna, wanna and gotta here?) a Necromancer. It´d be a Poison & Bone Necromancer. I´ll try to do it as it is in a guide I have, even though it doesn´t say anithing about the attribute strategy. For the people who read Rurouni Kenshin, I´m sorry but I can´t report Enishi´s accent for I have only read the manga in Portuguese and, in this language, he has the same accent most of you Americans have when speking Portuguese. If you know somebody who speaks Portuguese, ask him or her about these sounds "nh" and "ão". I´ll try to avoid talking about things not related to Diablo II LoD, but I just can´t hold myself...
By the way, could anyone please give me some advice concerning to vitality and energy?
Not my forte, are Necros, but I will ask you to specify: Hardcore or regular?

For Hardcore, pumping Vitality becomes necessary sometime in NM difficulty. I'd aim for 150 to 200.

Energy from 50 to 150, depending on if you know what you are going to equip him with, or will be unsure and need lots of mana.

Are you going to use only Bone and Poison, or do you intend to use curses and a golem for support as well? Pure Poison and Bone Necromancers usually benefit from an Act II or Act V mercenary. Life Leech for the Merc is handy.

Amp damage and Lower resist are both handy for helping Corpse Explosion and Bone Spirit work.

Bone Shield: Damage absorb is handy, put in a point and either max it, or let such plus skills as you can find supplement it. If you think of it, shop in act II for a +3 Bone Spear wand in Act II to make a 'White' Rune Word with later. Dol and Io are the runes for that, it is a decent want for a Bone and Poison Necro.

Pick a boss killing skill, be it Bone Spear or Bone Spirit. Bone Spirit tends to do more damage per hit, and it does have the nice feature of not missing.

My Necromancers tend to get to a Revive point just to help put meat infront of me. I hate getting my necromancer beat up.

Items? Resists, life and Mana are important, and +skills is key.

That is a short idea list, others here have much better advice to offer on some details.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
My current project is a Hardcore Werebear named VileBeast. He's level 31 and his primary skills are Maul (gonna max for attack rating), Lycanthropy (10 points here), Oak Sage (10 points because I always play in a party), Shockwave (gonna max cuz this is one of the best skills in the game), and Cyclone Armor (gonna max so I can tank elemental attacks easily too). As you can see, he is mostly defensive so he can tank for the pretty Sorcies and Amazons. He can't kill anything on his own, but that's kinda what I'm going for. He has a weapon/shield setup thats working nicely but is having a problem with Attack Rating. Well, there's my character's strategy. :D
USEast- *x8_tuy

Current A. Basin Characters:
HoIyMackereI: Holy Shock Zealot/Healer Nightmare Act 1 [HC]
AgrelaLaw: Healer/FoH Pally Normal Act 5 [HC]
hehe check this: a bow sorc :)
using koku,max enchant,max fire mastery
she rocks
hahaha :P
My current project is a quite tame mf sorcy, meteor and Orb.

Although i soon hope to put together a goldfinder character... Im thinking necro or paladin.

All this on East Hardcore. :D
Necros are a great goldfinder. Just herd the cows, get one kill and pop them all for lots of gold! This will be actually usefull if they really change gambling in 1.10.

I've been working on a level 90 wearbear. He is really fun and uses bows for his weapon. Maxed Maul and Shockwave are great. It is very funny to watch a whole pack of cows with birds over their heads for several seconds.

Ahhhh if only the Bear had Fury or something like it, but shockwave is nice.

You can actually get the Maul down to 4 frames per second though, which is great. Like a chipmunk in heat.
Since I'm new to the forum I'll just jump straight in...

I've been working on two main projects, since I have just started HC (and all my softy chars have been stripped and deleted... something I regret now and then) I don't have too many chars.

My first, and main project, is my assassin. Level 65, soon to go on to hell, martial arts, and she has the best gear I could possibly get right now. With her my playing style is quite simple, kill fast and hard. She is the product of two previously failed attempts (first died due to my first encounter of trigger hack, fun fun - second was lag kill at Baal's minons, both relatively low lvl, below lvl 30) and she won't have any wasted skills or stat points. Currently, in a5 nm, she's like a super-fast tank (5k+ AR :D ) and I was suprised when she killed faster than a burizazon I met during a bloody run. She's kind of cookie cutter, but being my first HC char I wanted her to live long and strong, experimentation will be soon enough.

My second main project is my good ol' necromancer. Only level 12 (technically the first HC char, but I played him 30 minutes before starting my sin), so far untweaked, unrushed, untouched by outside forces (but I'm thinking of changing this). At first I was going to make him a semi-zookeeper. I never liked having 30 revives around though, and my SC counterpart used maybe 5 revives, golem, and merc total so I decided to leave this build. Next I was thinking arty necro, they seemed like fun, but I remember making one quite a long time ago and I didn't find it as much entertaining as I thought I would. Then, I realized (other than the fact I'm rambling :P ) that I should have a purpose for him, and as many of you say, necro=great goldfinder. I have been split on making necro goldfinder or barb mf/gf (because of his Find Item skill), but I have decided finally on the necro. I just wish I kept all those 30% gold charms I found in normal... *sigh* :rolleyes: You all basically know the stategy for goldfinder necros (well, the normal build.. I could try and be different though..) - kill some cows (or hell council), then just go boom! CE/Amp...

Other than that I have very few other chars, lvl 9 druid, going to be a werewolf, another cookie cutter build (I want another strong HC char as end product that can easily take a lot of hits), and a lvl 15 classic D2 HC pallidin - which I found classic HC to be much harder and a lot more fun - the items won't make the character live or die, you as the player are responsible for that. I just hope they don't ruin the simplistic yet challenging atmosphere of classic D2 with synergies, although I look forward to synergies in the new patch, whenever it comes out.

And on a side note: Portuguese is definetly an interesting language. My brother-in-law is also from Brazil (from Jão Pessoa [the good ol' ão... I was confused when I first heard him say it.. where did the 'M' sound come from?]) From the point of view from someone who cant say anything past "Oi! Tudo bem?" it's a blast to hear him speak full speed. And I thought Spanish was hard to understand when it was spoken quickly :blink:

Just my two cents... or three... or - enough with the rambling, I think I've said enough :P

- Itami
HARDCORE BABY!

*ITT@USEast

"Death Before Dishonor! Bonzai!"