decisions decisions
Sooooo today I completed my first "Laz run" and finished off Big D (he dropped an ID scroll). Found some very nice stuff (better than I had) on levels 14, 15, and 16. Here are the things I kept:
Awesome gothic plate of Sorcery: AC 51, +136% armor, +16 to magic
Diamond Crown of the Lion: AC 12 Resist Magic %58, +52 HP
Amulet of the Zodiac: +18 to all attributes
Obsidian Ring: +40% resist all

After testing out the two swords I had, and switching equipment according to the mosnters I faced, I ended up wearing this:
Awesome gothic plate of Sorcery: AC 51, +136% armor, +16 to magic
Ruby Crown of the Lion: AC 12 Resist Fire +58%, +56HP
Saintly shield of the Tiger: AC 14, +127% armor, +48 HP
Ruthless falchion of Haste: +131% damage, fastest attack
Amulet of the Zodiac: +18 to all attributes
Amber ring of the Eagle: Resist All %19, +29 HP
Serpent's ring of Vigor: +35 mana, +16 to vitality

Also, this is the equipment that ended up in my inventory:
Diamond Crown of the Lion: AC 12 Resist Magic %58, +52 HP
Obsidian plate: AC 42, +40% resist all
Obsidian ring: +40% resist all
Ring of Life: +28 to vitality
Ring of Sorcery: +17 to magic
Crimson ring of Brilliance: +28% resist fire, +14 to magic
Garnet amulet of Vim: +50% resist fire +11 to vitality

Now I feel like I'm at the crossroads hehe. Obviously, I can interchange the crowns according to the situation. Currently my resist fire is maxed, but if I take the ruby crown off, and put the diamond one on, my magic reistance becomes maxed. The difference in HP is negligible, only 6, so I don't mind. The sword and shield I am sticking with, and same with the amulet. My only real dilemma: the rings! I could either take the two I have off, and put on the perfect, but plain, obsidian ring, and ring of life - which results in a loss of a few HPs, but also the loss of 30 or so mana points. I don't know what to do! If I wear the obsidian ring, I can perhaps find a +armor, +hp crown, and then I could wear my backup Obisidan plate, which would yield max resistances. But then, my current setup is also good (for me anyway). Someone, enlighten me! hehe

On another note...
When I used to play a few years ago, I'd keep all the uniques I found, and let mules carry them. At the time, I felt that unique drops were really rare for me, and they were. Now, that I'm selling every item I don't need, I find that I'm getting a lot of unique drops :)

The really good stuff I got today came from a boss death/blood/whatever knight on level 14, a chest on 14, and various places on level 15, and one from an advocate on 16. Laz gave me a bow, Redvex gave me an axe, and Blackjade gave me the Ring of Engagement. Never knew she felt that way. Too bad she's dead. "Til death do you part", huh? lol :D
That's what I do. I keep a lot of different equipment in my inventory and then I just switch it when I see what the level is like. For instance, if you get witches and knights, put on the diamond helm. On level 16, put the ruby one on. That sort of thing. If you get a melee only level, forget about resistances and go all AC. You'll get the hang of it. ;)
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
ok.. you have the resistances covered, but you're really missing what warriors need the most. Dexterity and a sword with a good +tohit% bonus. With your current setup, you'll have a hard time hitting anything in nightmare/hell. Warriors are pretty dependent on items. Dex, tohit% and resists are the most important stats to boost.
Hi,

Well, not only is Diablo an old game, but it is probably one of the most studied computer games ever. Pretty near everything knowable has been done and overdone.

Now, as to gear, there are nice dream setups. But for a more realistic view, try The Bare Necessities by Armin at http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/necess.txt part of Lochnar[ITB]'s Freshman Diablo http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/diablo.shtml

And, although I don't mind posting replies (and I suspect most Lurkers don't, either), you really need to make up your mind. If you want to discover the game for yourself, then you probably are best off not asking any questions. If you want to learn what there is to learn, then go hunting for the info, possibly starting right here at the Lounge with the hosted info and the links.

Any way you choose, good hunting and have fun :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Yogi_Baar, that's exactly what I do! Heh. Recently, I found a +resist +hp shield, and have switched to that. Tried to figure out what the maximum useful AC for normal/hell is, and I think I was much higher than that, so I didn't mind taking the AC hit. It's fun changing setups, but it gets annoying have a full inventory <_<

Meshuggah, yeah I know what you mean. I'm trying to shop for a better sword, just haven't found anything. I even have trouble locking some of the Witches in normal/Hell with this sword, so I'll work on getting my to-hit% up. It seems every time I find a sword I'd like to buy, I don't have enough cash, and end up lagging out of the game by the time I do hehe.

Pete, thanks. I read that a while ago. Hehe. I guess the real reason I posted because I was hoping someone would point out something obvious that I'm missing. I'm playing around with different setups now, just experimenting. Also, it seems the more I play, the more good stuff I find, so I don't think any answer I would have gotten coulda lasted me long :) Maybe when my character is at 40 or so hehe....

Thank you for your replies!