What wireless electricity products are you looking forward to?
I read an article about wireless electricity last year, but figured it was too expensive to become a reality, like most advances, however today, saw this article on msn.com.

Personally, I'd like to see this technology used for video game controllers and cell phones, then kids toys which suck up an amazing amount of batteries per week. After that, maybe something to power-up my battery backup surge protector. I wonder how power surges might effect wireless electricity, if at all. I lost two comptuers due to power surges in my area before I went out and purchased a battery backup surge protector (other power strips claim to work against power surges, and even offer up to $10,000 rebate, but trying to get that money is next to impossible, believe me, I tried).
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
:blink:

:w00t:

~Frag
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
I wonder if it would charge up my Tesla coil.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Personally, I'd like to see this technology used for video game controllers...

There was an article on IGN a month or two back about exactly this. Some company is making the recharger pad and the battery attachments for, at least, the xbox 360.

I can't seem to find the article at the moment. it will be interesting to see how it pans out and how much they charge for the recharge pad etc. I'm really not sure what price point would over-write the minor hassle of changing batteries or using wired recharge methods.
Quote:I can't seem to find the article at the moment. it will be interesting to see how it pans out and how much they charge for the recharge pad etc. I'm really not sure what price point would over-write the minor hassle of changing batteries or using wired recharge methods.

Well I think the ultimate is not having power cords for even fairly major appliances. But then they're tethered via other cords... the Xbox might not have a power cord or controller wires, but would still need to get video to the TV & sound to the receiver or TV. And I don't see wireless video transmission happening anytime soon.

For things that use batteries now, it's not that big a deal. I have a small child and what seems like a hundred battery operated toys to go with my various remotes, wiimotes, and such.

I've found that since the development of low self discharge NiMH cells that rechargables are quite convenient now. I just need to have 4-8 extra of each size (I actually have more than that because of the rate of growth of battery operated toys a 16 month old child seems to foster,) then I charge them as they come out and they will happily sit there charged for months, and be useful, unlike the old style NiMHs which would be practically useless if you let them sit on the shelf a month.

Since the shift to the LSD batteries (yeah, that doesn't sound right, but I don't want to keep typing out Low Self Discharge), the wiimotes feel just like they have alkalines in them. I mean how long the batteries last. I really love them, and they aren't any more expensive than other NiMH batteries.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
As to suggested appliances, there's always the house-cleaning android in the French maid getup (too bad they could never get beyond that clunky 1950's 'toaster chic' look with the chassis *shudder* )

Considering that my waffle iron is powered through a cord that's plugged into a light socket, I figure this might be a step up.

Still, I'm not getting rid of my rotary-dial phone. I just bought the thing from salvage sales at work last week.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:Still, I'm not getting rid of my rotary-dial phone. I just bought the thing from salvage sales at work last week.

There is something really nice about using a couple phones with real bells, then turning the ringers off on the electronic "fake bell" phones. Friend of mine did that. He doesn't use the rotary phones as anything but ringers.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:I've found that since the development of low self discharge NiMH cells that rechargables are quite convenient now. I just need to have 4-8 extra of each size

Since the shift to the LSD batteries (yeah, that doesn't sound right, but I don't want to keep typing out Low Self Discharge), the wiimotes feel just like they have alkalines in them. I mean how long the batteries last. I really love them, and they aren't any more expensive than other NiMH batteries.

Hell yeah. Some good news if you didn't know already, Sanyo has announced their Eneloop batteries will come in C and D sizes. Not just adapter sleeves, or a AA with a bunch of extra packaging, but actual C-D size with increased capacities. (In my book, I rate the Eneloop as the gold standard for LSD NIMH batteries.)

The bad news, Sanyo isn't planning to bring them to the U.S.

However, there are now other brands that do have C-D sized LowSD, and they're 'true' C-Ds. Not just a single AA in a bunch of cardboard wrapping.

Honestly, LSD NIMHs to me are t3h sliced bread when it comes to rechargeables.
Quote:There is something really nice about using a couple phones with real bells, then turning the ringers off on the electronic "fake bell" phones. Friend of mine did that. He doesn't use the rotary phones as anything but ringers.

You should record his phone ringing and make a ring tone. :lol: