a bit of technical help please
Basically, the problem is that my supposedly always on 600K broadband connection isn't always on - it cuts out, at time anywhere between 5 minutes and 4 hours.
I have emailed my ISP's tech support a few times, and by their responses, they're plainly stumped. They simply say that they've run a few tests on their end, don't think it's on their network and have come up with the most marvellous suggestion ever:
Delete your firewall
They think that might be a cause. I did disable it for a few days, and problems continued, I don't see what else deleting it would do, nor do I really want to leave my computer without a firewall any longer.
They haven't tried to replicate the problem themselves (set up a system, smae settings, etc) and so are simply guessing in the dark at the problem. Marvellous service for a connection that cost £25 per month

Anyone here got any ideas about what the problem might be, or a solution?
I'm running Win98 SE, the modem is connected via USB, the firewall is zonealarm shareware. LAN network settings are on auto detect. If you need any other info, please ask.
It's really getting on my nerves, having to reboot several times a day just to keep an internet connection.

TIA

-Bob
Hi,

Have you had them come out and measure the signal strength at your end?

You don't mention what type of connection you have. I have a cable modem that otherwise works fine. However, for a long time I was getting random disconnects and periods when I could not connect. Turned out that the signal was below minimum at my end. A little extra moisture, a little more heat and the signal would drop to where the modem couldn't pull it out of the noise.

That's all I can think of. Intermittent problems are seldom software or settings, usually hardware.

Good luck,

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Have you had them come out and measure the signal strength at your end?
no - they came out, attatched a modem and went again, leaving me to do everying else. Woe betide anyone who isn't so confortable doing anything but work and games.

Quote:You don't mention what type of connection you have
AFAIK it's fibre-optic to the house, and then co-ax inside, is that what you meant? It's not DSL or ADSL.
And it's also on the same wire as both the phones & the TV.

Thankyou, I'll see what I can do about getting them to check the connection...

It's nice not to be in conflict with you for once B)

-Bob

edit: added another bit of info.
It's really getting on my nerves, having to reboot several times a day just to keep an internet connection.

You say that the connection is restored if you reboot?

That may mean that the problem is NOT on the ISP end. It's still possible, but not as likely.

Preferred troubleshooting (at least, what I would do):

1: Try a different 'puter on your connection. This may not be practical for you, but it would be the fastest way to be 99% sure whether the problem is inside your box.

1a: Try a different connection on your 'puter. Again, this may not be practical, but if you have a friend using the same ISP, it could be worth a shot.

2: Try a different OS in your 'puter. If you are thinking of getting another hard drive soon, this could be a good thing to try. Win98SE 2.1 was the first version that worked okay with USB, 2.5 was much better. Any OS later than the version you're using now would determine if it is an OS problem. Swap in the new hard drive, install OS & minimum software to get online, & give it a shot.

3: Remove other USB components. Win98SE is not 100% with USB, the dynamic configuration could be taking it out, possibly due to other USB components on the system. This is probably the first thing I would try, so why is it number 3?

4: Change interface to NIC (Network Interface Card). This would take USB right out of the picture. The network card is pretty cheap now, you would need to get your ISP to provide you with a modem with an Ethernet RJ-45 connector. If this works, it is a good long-term solution since the NIC is a better interface to the modem than USB anyway.
(Note to the know-it-alls: Yes, I know that USB2 is comparable to ethernet for the interface, but since this guy is using Win98SE, we can be pretty sure that his 'puter doesn't have it.)

-rcv-