Quick WoW info before I turn in
When I first loaded the page, I was amazed at the reaction I felt. After nearly four years, I still taste bile when seeing the letters FOH. Guess I spent a bit too long in EQ Land, lol.

So, anyway, the info is here. But, uh, don't read past the first news article. The rest isn't pretty. <_<

I hate how I now have to decide between World of Warcraft and City of Heroes...

- WL
Aside from being a exceedingly profane megalomaniac, who exactly is this guy? Moreover, why would his opinion matter on practically anything?
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
FOH? :blink:
Freaky Oxes Hum?
Finally Over Here?
Fish Or Ham?
Forward Onto Hurt?
Fling Oliver Huft?
Fart On Hut?
Fist Of Heavens?
Free Ochre Hooks?
Forget Or Hang?
Fangs Ow Hurt
Fasket On Hasket?
Fling Our Hatchets?
Freeze Over Hell?
Fur On Harry?
Fists Of Health?
... :angry:

There are all sorts of other combinations I could do for these, such as:
Forget On Hut?
But I won't bother...

Seriously though, what does it mean? :)

Y'know, I bet I'll figure it out as soon as I click on the link, but this was much more fun!
:P

:unsure: Hey, look, the smilie is looking at a word!
--->Dude-ishness<---

:lol: Haha, I am so witty :lol:

(jk)
When I saw FOH, I first thought of Front of House, a throwback to my glorious theatre days. Ah, the memories...
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Yet more info from Warcry: http://wow.warcry.com/content/e3_2003_cove...?content=dayone

Quote:Next up! The meat of it all! King_of_Dragons just sent me a huge list of things he made notes about in his sit-down with the Devs. Below, you'll find a bulleted list of things that he made notes on. This will be cleaned up and organized today, but I wanted to make it available to everyone right now.

Features/Misc

&nbsp; &nbsp; * hour and a half to go from bottom to top of Azeroth
&nbsp; &nbsp; * 2 continents, Azeroth and Kalimdor
&nbsp; &nbsp; * PVP will be consentual, 90% of world is non-pvp, 10% is
&nbsp; &nbsp; * the Stranglethorn Arena will be player pvp. Players can buy tickets to fight dragons, hyrdras, etc.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Multiple players can fight a monster at once, but there will be limits.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Team battles, either groups vs groups or groups vs monster(s)
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Guild battles planned, will be advertise
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Spectators can buy tickets, eventually be able to bet on games
&nbsp; &nbsp; * There will be about 100 or more "micro-dungeons" (which are actually quite large) that players can spend a few hours in killing monsters, quests, etc. Will be located all throughout the world. Not instanced. No loading entrance, to get in you will actually walk in it, no "doors" or dark areas that you go next to and loading "warp" inside.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Entire game has no loading after initial load, except for certain areas (instanced areas, some buildings like the Monastary). This is because the game is streamed to the user (90% streamed).
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Cathedral of Light in center of Stormwind. Blizzard doesn't want people to come to cities just to trade/buy stuff, wants cities to be a place where players can adventure, do quests, etc. In Stormwind there are large statues of the heroes from past Warcraft titles (including War3x) with plaques on the base of each one showing the hero's name.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Stormwind will have multiple manors/districts (mage, warrior, trading, etc) which will be told apart by roof colors (red for warrior, blue for mage, etc). It also has a canal system (not fully implimented yet in the E3 demo) which will allow players to travel quickly (not instantaneously) between these areas.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * The cathedral might even be used for player weddings! Players will be able to rent the room and buy/send out invitations.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * 2000-4000 players per server
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Blizzard wants quests, story, and history as a major part of the game, so players can get involved.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Languages will work like this: Orcs start out speaking only Orcish, any characters of another race's text will show up as converted text, and the same is true with another race seeing your text. You can learn other race's languages, but not easy.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Attribute (Strength, Agility, Stamina, Intelligence and Spirit) and skill points obtained on level up ONLY.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Bind stones: talk to guy standing next to each (binder) and he will bind you to that stone. When you die, you return there. Several of these located throughout the world, can only be binded to one at a time. Most are near major cities.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Beta: want servers to be packed. Will last 8 months or so. Will do beta in waves, starting with a few and eventually open beta.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Biggest hurdle is content. Game looks like a released game in terms of graphics and gameplay at this point (and it's still only in alpha)!
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Health recovers slowly over time, will speed up if sit or lay down (/sit, /lay).

World Locations

&nbsp; &nbsp; * Kalidar - NE starting location. It is a city located on the top of a HUGE tree. has wisps, moon wells, etc.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * 20+ big dungeons, Blackrock Spire is one of these.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Blackrock Spire was created by the Dwarves in ancient times. Some mishap happened (which will be learned) and the mountain was turned into a volcano. Orcs took over in Warcraft I but Humans ousted them. Since then it has been deserted, but lately evil forces have inhabited it, viler than the Orcs. There are 2 parts in it, the upper spire and lower spire. Upper spire will have Dragons in it.

Classes

&nbsp; &nbsp; * Human/Orc can be Warlock. Dark magic, summoning demonic spirits, take/drain life from enemies. Casts sleep, can summon felhound pet. Right click on pet portait to issue commands (like attack, heel, stay, follow, unsummon, etc). Can only have one pet out at a time.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * When you kill something (you actually deliver the killing blow), there will be a magical effect on the corpse telling you you can loot it first. Different loot types.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Hunter (Dwarf can be this too): ranged weapon proficiency, can tame beats. Can only have one beast at a time, but can dismiss it to get another. This tamed beast will be name-able and will level up with you and grow stronger and larger. It can level to be up to 90% of your level.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Druids: can cast wards, shapeshift. When shifted, can only use that form's abilities. Can turn into bear, flying thing, and most interestly, rabbit. Rabbit form can't do anything but move, good for scout (enemies see it as a neutral critter, even when clicking, monsters won't attack).

Items

&nbsp; &nbsp; * 5 slots for "bags". Each item will take up 1 slot. You can buy more/bigger bags with more slots. The more slots a bag can hold, the more expensive/harder to get it will be. You can put items in these bags and different bag types, like herb bags, arrow pouches, etc.

Skills/Spells

&nbsp; &nbsp; * 2 types of spells/skills: Core and Secondary. Shown as X/Max, where x is your current knowledge over it's max, which goes up each level.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * The more you use a skill, the higher it's level/effectiveness.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Gathering/herbalism: can extract ingrediants from herb bushes, find herb spell that will show dots on minimap where herbs are. Can turn on/off, but when on you can only walk (not attack or run).
&nbsp; &nbsp; * These bushes spawn randomly, can't camp. Specific types that give specific ingrediants only spawn in specific areas, like in caves, coasts, etc.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Tradeskill window: Red spells are hardest to use (ingrediants rarer), but make skil go up more. Grey is easy, but little skill uppage. All these will always be successful (no aggravation by having to do it again and again). Reagants shown as have/need.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Works the same for herbalism, first aid, smithing, mining, etc.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * You can buy recipes for all these (which will have level and skill requirements), but rarer ones will be only obtained through quests or find off of monsters.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Higher level tradeskills might require the player to go to a lab/smithy/etc to make the item.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Core skills require a trainer/money to buy. No skill point required.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Secondary skills require a skill point to obtain the skill, then it works like a core (not like D2 where you pump points into one skill).
&nbsp; &nbsp; * When you use a spell, it will grey out and have a clock thing like the spell cooldowns in warcraft III.

Transportation

&nbsp; &nbsp; * Higher level char will get more and faster movement methods.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Gryphon taxis, go to gryphon masters which are located throughout the world in major cities and such. They can transport you to other gryphon master areas, but only the ones you have visited before (like waypoints). Once you purchase the trip, you will actually see the gryphon take off and fly to that area, all without any loading screens. Takes about 3 mins on the one I saw. You can't control the gryphon, but can look around. Players will be able to see you flying overhead. When entering a different zone, the sky/music changes (for example, entering Blackrock spire from Ironforge/Dun Morogh). The sky changed to a black/red and music changed. Good for scouting.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Boats will be same, can go places you have been. There will always be something to do on the boat, like quests (maybe attacked by pirates/harpies) or even gambling. Don't want people to be on the boat just being bored. It is NOT instananeous transportation, you will actually see the boat travelling to the destination.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * World map not implented yet, but when there is it will reveal terrain once you get there (like Morrowind). No annotation option yet, but is considered.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Humans: Horses. Orcs: Wolves. Dwarves: Rams. Others unknown.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Mounts will have to be bought, not given. There will be quests to get them as well.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Low levels will find it easy to get one of their race specific mounts, but won't be able to get other race's.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * If you wanted a human to get a Wolf mount, you would have to raise your reputation with the Orcs and such. Then you would look really Uber :).
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Primary purpose of mounts is transportation, cannot fight while on them. Don't want everyone on their mount all the time.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Come in different colors/types/sizes. Provide armor bonus.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * For now, there are summoned by activating an item. You auto get on it. Same way to dismount (mount disappears). Good way so you don't lose track of it and it will be always with you. Cannot use mounts indoors.

Quests

&nbsp; &nbsp; * Exclamation point above head of people who give you quests. Yellow if you can do the quest, blue if they won't give you yet but if you can get it later (when you are higher level).
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Quests are shown when talking to them, and you can see description of the quest as well as the reward (which is sometimes a choice of up to 6 rewards). You can take multiple quests at a time, from the same person even.
&nbsp; &nbsp; * Quest log shows all active quests, can change order by moving quests up/down. When you select a quest, you will see it's full description and reward(s) again, as well as your current status. Like if a quest is to obtain X items, it will say "X/7 items obtained."
&nbsp; &nbsp; * There will be quests and tasks. Quests can only be done once and rewards are unique items you can't buy or find in that area. Tasks you can do multiple times and are simple things like deliver this item to this person.

FYI, FOH is Fires of Heaven, and the megalomaniacal guild is run by as you so eloquently put it, a megalomaniacal person. Can't really blame their excessive use of profanity and jaded, bitter reactions considering it's SOE that they're dealing with. It's pretty irksome how attentive and eager MOG companies are in beta to fix problems, but still go and release their game with all these bugs and once it's released you need to put a gun to their head in order for them to realize that yes in fact the code is bugged, half the things that they implemented don't work as intended and do indeed need to be fixed. It was that way with EQ, it's still that way with DAoC.
I suppose that this Furor fellow must be someone 'special' for blizzard to give a little show to. I know nothing about Fires Of Heaven, I am not an EQ person, but obviously, that guild has some 'standing' in the EQ MMORPG. Their site must get quite a bit of traffic if Blizzard is using him as a shill for WoW pre release hype.

Forgive me, please, for wondering about the wisdom of enetering an MMORPG world where such dipsticks, in hordes of dozens, as this Furor fellow walk upon Kalimdor's soil. This guy is representative of the fan base of WoW? (No way a woman wrote that.) This is who I must consider sharing server and time space with in order to enjoy a $10 dollar, or so, per month hosted and persistent world?

There is a certain ability to don blinders and enter into 'HMI' free zones in bnet at present.

How able are clans, guilds, groups of friends able to play in EQ, or other MMORPG, without undue forced interaction with gene pool drop outs of this sort? Or, is it even possible?

*shudders*

Is MMORPG really something I am interested in? I wonder. The fun I have with Diablo has more to do with the people than the game.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete