Poll: Are you...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
male
90.24%
37 90.24%
female
9.76%
4 9.76%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

To which extent do women like pc gaming
Thought a new 'the gender and its influence on pc gaming' thread would be nice :D

Plus: I'm interested how many lurkers are girls.

(of course this applies to girls, teenie girls, students(female), women, mature women, mothers, grannies, nannies etc :D :D )

Looking forward to your answers...

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Posing as women is one of the favorite pastimes of users on many boards I've seen, so I wouldn't really trust anyone here.
Telling people I was a woman when I logged in with my Rogue in Diablo 1 was one of my friend's favourite pastimes during the long b.net nights. Scary stuff mate.
But why can we not be honest?
Are there indeed so many liars and bilkers in here?
Nobody who wants to answer truthfully?

well... at least I will have a go...

'Ach - here you are.'

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
What ?? Me lie ?? ;)

<-- Male / 24 yrs old / 6'4 240 lbs / Harvard Graduate - working as a rocket scientist for NASA .
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Yeah, alright TaMeOlta.

Happy Birthday btw, is it by chance your 35th ????

Just guessing....

But seriously, if there isn't at least one single woman out there, or just many who are too shy, then this poll is nonsense.

Seems like I have to keep on guessing how many girls are lurkers....

Oh well.

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

Go trolling for single girls in an on line environment.

For the record: father of two children, husband of one woman, age 43.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Throw a light on this. I'm a bit slow. Please :unsure: :unsure:

When did I troll whom???

PS: Nice to meet you again Occhi (if I may call you like that)

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

Hi,

You know, I'm beginning to wish that the "Poll" feature of this board were disabled. Perhaps I'll make a formal suggestion to that effect. So far, every poll proposed that was not meant as a joke has been a joke anyway.

Now, "To which extent do women like pc gaming". Fine. However, what you are going to get, instead, is the answer to: "How many people that see this poll and choose to answer it will claim to be women."

Now, a lot of people who game do not read fora. Is the ratio of the readers to non-readers the same for men and women? Maybe, maybe not. Not in my experience. For whatever reason, men seem to take games more seriously. So they are more likely to get online to discuss and study games than women are. Also, more men seem to have "nerd" type occupations, and forum reading is often a break in their workday (and, in some cases, their entire workday :) ). Of the gamers I know personally, three of nine women read fora (and two of those I first met online *in* fora). Of the men, two out of twenty-three don't read fora at least some of the time.

When added to the fact that some women prefer not to reveal their gender online, the combination makes the "poll" portion of this tread a waste of time, a joke. Without the poll option, perhaps this thread would have been started with some meaningful discussion. As it is, it seems more flame bait and/or trolling.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

<----- 28M, Married for 7 Years, Father of 1 Girl (5) and Twin Boys (1).
- Ace 777
Check Out: NJ DeMolay

[Image: knight_left.gif]
I can think of a handful of names off the top of my head who are female Lurkers AND who have not made any attempt to hide that fact.

I am quite certain there are others. :D Many are 'spouses of' the Lurker, but are gamers as well. Some are just plain 'lurkers' who have not bothered to register.

However, the preponderance of gamers in the 'slay the monsters/find the treasure' games are typically male, or so it seems to me. When I take a peek in the local internet café, there are never any 'girls' in the gaming section.

ShadowHM - happy 'mature' gamer and mother of four gamers (Luckily I am the owner of the PC, eh?)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

One of my PnP gaming buddies of the female persuasion is sort of an expert on "female" gaming. She's got a book about this coming out, and she could explain this a lot better than I can, but from what I gather current games are more closely aligned with the male reward system in our culture than the female reward system. Take a look at Sheri's interview:

http://www.womengamers.com/interviews/chat2.html

I'll be sure to plug her book here when it comes out. In the meantime, she just got hired by Sony to work as a designer on Star Wars Galaxies :) and another project she can't tell me about :(

Edit: My requisite one typo.
Edit: Fixed some odd grammar.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
IMO it doesn't really matter if the person I co-op with/frag/compete with/whatever is girl or boy.
You'll almost never meet them face-to-face anyway, so why on earth care?

For the record I'm M/23, but why you want to know that is beyond me.
Bun Bun: I hope she does well. Any idea as to the book's actual title?

(could not open link, NP, will try later.)
In Memory of Pete
I was tossing in a pun related to sitting in a boat and going fishing while slowly motoring downstream. That is called 'trolling' and some fishing boats are equipped with 'trolling motors.' Trolling for women is another term that may not translate perfectly into German. As I recall, "sie sint eine Deutscher." Which is doubtless bad German for 'you are a German.' In some circles, it is the activity of trying to pick up women in bars, or in the grocery store: some bait is offered to attract the women. Trolling is typically very easy to spot, and most women see it when it is happening and avoid the troller like they would try to avoid The Plague. :)

Trolling is also an internet sport of posting in order to evoke a particular response, most ofter an emotional reply on some subject. That appears to be the sense that you took my reply in, however, I was engaging in a bit of a play on words.

Sorry if it did not translate very well.

Yes, you may call me Occhi, most folks do to avoid having to type long names.
In Memory of Pete
Being the sexy and sassy femme fatale who prodded you to make a discussion about this, by rights I should be here making my piece. B)

I think going for the poll was an iffy idea, but you're cute, cuddly, and most of all receptive to constructive criticism, so we'll let you off lightly. :) Best way to get a response around here is to present a topic of discussion, rattle off your ideas/thoughts/opinions/suggestions, and sit back and watch the Lurkers come out of hiding for a sniff.

(::just found out she's far from flunking a class she thought she'd flunk::)

I am a female gamer, and I've made that clear from my Starsiege days. 'Twas the old Exodus guild it was, where I was the Tank Girl in the Olympian.

I think it has a lot of bearing on gameplay. For instance, I'm more likely to play Diablo over Baldur's Gate when PMS strikes. Spam mindless kill raging death!!!

As for in-game avatars, I play my characters based on what they do, not what they look like. However, if there was an option to have a character of either gender, such as a female barbarian or necromancer or a male sorcerer, I'd go for female.

(Another thing: truth online. I used to be one of the folks who'd never use the same non-de-plume twice, untracable e-mail address, fake name/location, etc., until I hooked up with the DSF and really hit upon a community I cared about. What if I disappeared? As a friend of mine said, all they'll know you by is a smartass joke and a fake name. What if I got into an accident and disappeared for a couple months? How would my LL and DSFC friends contact me?)

I've played male characters on stage and in roleplaying games, but I always feel weird playing male characters on Battle.net. In the realms everyone assumes that you're the same gender as the character you're playing.

And why, oh why, oh WHY, Blizzard Entertainment, did you make the Amazon's breasts visible from light-years away, then market a free online gaming server to go with it?! Pick a mainstream realm chatroom, any hour of the day, and there is BOUND to be an amazon in it with some breast-related name. I dunno, maybe if Blizzard could've curbed their juvenile enthusiasm and made her more like the rogue of D1...

I guess I just get bothered sometimes.

Anyway... :P

I think any forum or community would be at a loss if it didn't have perspectives from different ages, races, nationalities, or genders. We've got the wise sages and elders component here, as well as the hipster twentysomethings, and the overeager teenagers. (And the wise teenagers, the hipster sages, and the overeager twentysomethings. And so on, and so forth, ad nauseum.)

Truth be told, I seriously thought Occhi was female. Held Occhi in high esteem for being a radical female gamer. Then found out Occhi has a wife and kids. Opinion has not changed. :D (Also had a small crush on someone I thought was around my age--Pete, no less! But that's okay. I fell for the Pete-in-Training, Kasreyn. ;))
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
"Gender Inclusive Game Design - Expanding the Market"

The publisher is Charles River Media.

She's copy editing the thing right now.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Yes a few women have it, theier are always a few exceptions in any sex linked disease(like men with breast cancer).

On a side note it this gives gamer forums a distict personallity.
What are the occupations of people who play video games :).....kinda see what jobs lend themselves to gaming or the analysis of games heh.

Personally I am:
Male
19 (...20 in 12 days...)
College Junior (Studio Art/Computer Science double major atm)

Heh....still somewhat young and trying to find my path in life heh...can't decide between:
a) getting a full-time job and attending a college with a Game Art & Design major available.
B) switching to a General Buisiness major (retaining one of my other majors possibly)
or
c) Try and finish and sell my game concepts and attempts at making music (4 tracks so far....2 months work)
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
Quote:Truth be told, I seriously thought Occhi was female. Held Occhi in high esteem for being a radical female gamer. Then found out Occhi has a wife and kids. Opinion has not changed.&nbsp; (Also had a small crush on someone I thought was around my age--Pete, no less! But that's okay. I fell for the Pete-in-Training, Kasreyn. )

And I wonder some times if it was wise for me to adopt that name, and the 'Rogue With a Heart' persona, in the first place. Trouble was, I enjoyed the Rogue in D1 more than either of the other two classes due to her versatility, and since I brought ZERO on line gaming experience with me to Diablo (I had not even played D n D for about 10 years when I tried Diablo for the first time) I thought that I needed to role play . . . anyway, it got to be a habit, and for some reason, it just worked, I guess, it has been good fun. :)

*chuckle* Sigh. My good friend from high school days, whose sorcerer in D1 was called Lord Prozac back in 1999, first introduced me to the game. My wife will never forgive him, however, as she finds the whole undertaking childish and a bloody waste of time.

She could be right. :)
In Memory of Pete