The Matrix
To quote again my favorite candy man with the purple hat:

"The suspense is terrible. I hope it'll last."

This film is virtually let down free. Even if the sequel's script/story is awful (I doubt it but, ahem, Mr. Lucas has shown its possible) Wo Ping's choreography always delivers.

I am absolutely freaking out in anticipation. Anyone else?

Prediction: The Oracle is a benevolent non-human program. :D
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
Hi,

Pulled out the original DVD and watched it again (with many a pause and repeat to get as much of the trivia as I could). Ready for the sequel, but also apprehensive. Too many Highlander II in the past. Sequels are suspect until proven otherwise ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Yeah, none of the Highlander sequels were very good, IMO. Highlander II is just infamous for totally breaking the continuity. The last one (5?) was really bad as well... Christopher Lambert >>> Adrian Paul.

I'm psyched about Reloaded, too (kind of hard not to be when TNT shows the Matrix thrice a day). 'Twill be interesting to see what all the Agent Smith clones are about, methinks.

Re: the Oracle. That would be an interesting angle. Or maybe she's a rebelling AI (in the sense that the Agents are AIs) or something of the sort. It always seemed unlikely to me that the AIs would let a "battery" that has divined the nature of the Matrix as well as the Oracle has continue to "function".

- WL
I'm personally considering going to the theater either tonight or tomorrow in anticipation to pick up tickets for Friday/Saturday... I *NEED* to see this movie. This weekend (or now would be ok...).

I can't wait myself for the wars to begin! (Much less for the last in the trilogy to be released, November. Oy, thats a LONG wait!).
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
Swarmalicious,May 14 2003, 11:17 AM Wrote:I am absolutely freaking out in anticipation. Anyone else?
:blink:

You need to ask?

wow :unsure:

I watched The Matrix DVD a couple of weeks back and did the commentary version just before the weekend. The Matrix is still Number 2 in my top 5 and I'm hoping Reloaded will be nearly as impressive.

As for choreography, wire fu does not a redeeming feature make. It's fun to watch and I enjoy the sequences, but fights are the last thing to redeem a dog if the rest of the film sucks.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
A good story wins more fans that FX, IMO. Good FX has now become a minimum requirement, and that once again brings us to

"So, how is the story?" :)

Nicely presented 'T and A' or 'beefcake' will drag in a few strays in any case but that is hardly news.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hail Swarmalicious,

I'm going to see it tomorrow: couldn't wait to see it, so I got a ticket to the first showing. I would guess that means I'm looking forward to it... either that, or someone got me drunk. I'd be willing to place money on the former though ;)

Prediction: the photography shall be awesome :D
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
was that the first movie made it quite clear that the big ugly dude (who looked like Ted Cassidy), and Lambert, were the LAST two immortals (as in the end, there can be only one). Only one of them is left, and he gets the "reward" of some kind of limited omniscience, which is cool.

But then they say, "whoah, hell, we could make a lot of money off a sequel to a movie THIS popular!", so they decide that there were actually a few immortals who somehow didn't get killed. Like, they were in the bathroom or something when the big ugly dude came looking for them. Yeah, right.

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Hi,

Which is why the only sequels that would have made sense were *prequels*. Which is why the TV series didn't suck (IMO, it didn't rock, either. But it was at least watchable).

Sometimes the suits and bean-counters royally screw it up. As opposed to most of the time when it's just a common(er) screw up. ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I've also just re-watched the Matrix. Great movie indeed. I have a general idea of what is going to happen in Reloaded; I don't think it'll live up to many people's expectations (to be as enjoyable as the first Matrix). Even if it falls a bit short of the first Matrix, I'll still certainly enjoy it.

SPOLIERS ABOUT THE ORACLE from here on.

Neo realizes that the Oracle is a program from the machine world. I have more info, but I don't like giving away too much.
MonTy,May 14 2003, 12:47 PM Wrote:I don't think it'll live up to many people's expectations (to be as enjoyable as the first Matrix). 
I guess it depends on what you require for enjoyment.

I just saw it. Spoiler free, I will tell you what I thought of it:

1) I haven't been this satisfied with a sequel since Terminator 2
2) I didn't think it would be as good as it was
3) It didn't screw up anything from from the first movie (so no, it didn't pull a Highlander II)

Note that this is coming from someone who saw the first movie 9 times in the theater. I would imagine that few people would have higher expectations than myself, and those few who would are probably not trying to be realistic about their expectations. I won't be seeing this one anywhere near as much, but that is probably more due to my current financial situation than due to the quality of the movie itself. I will certainly buy the DVD when it comes out.

I should also note that I saw some links on aintitcool.com that referred to people being "underwhelmed" by it, before seeing it. That had me worried, but after seeing it, I guess they were expecting this movie to be as "new" and "revolutionary" as the last one. Sorry guys, same characters, same story, just continued in a very satisfactory way.

Don't expect it to top the first one, or give the same "I've never seen anything like it" experience (if you indeed had that feeling about the first one).

Also, the Revolutions trailer at the end doesn't show much, and wasn't worth the wait through the credits in a theater full of chatty high school kids that couldn't shut up and stay in their seats, imho.
LiquidDamage,May 15 2003, 10:41 AM Wrote:I should also note that I saw some links on aintitcool.com that referred to people being "underwhelmed" by it, before seeing it.  That had me worried, but after seeing it, I guess they were expecting this movie to be as "new" and "revolutionary" as the last one.  Sorry guys, same characters, same story, just continued in a very satisfactory way.
I can't count the times aintitcool.com has been wrong. There simply isn't enough fingers in the world.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,May 15 2003, 02:43 AM Wrote:I can't count the times aintitcool.com has been wrong.  There simply isn't enough fingers in the world.
Well, looking at the website, it isn't like they have any taste either. The all-caps and multiple exclamation points pretty much give away the fact that they are tacky, and like tacky things.

I don't know why I bothered to consider their opinions.
Saw it last night.

Too happy to type.

Oh.

Wow.

:D

The Matrix Reloaded completely blew my expectations out of the water.

Truly an incredible movie.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Hail Lurkers,

Just got back from it. It's after 3am now, so I'll be heading to bed, but I'll just quickly reiterate the wows ;) It surpassed my expectations, and was VERY cool. One note to anyone going to see it later: stay until after the credits! There's a teaser trailer for The Matrix: Revolutions :D
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Quote:One note to anyone going to see it later: stay until after the credits! There's a teaser trailer for The Matrix: Revolutions

Yeah, I didn't realize this at the time and completely missed out on this. Neadless to say, when I found out I was moderately annoyed :)

Not that it's really that big of a deal though since I'm going to go see Reloaded at least one more time with my dad and brother.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:Truly an incredible movie.

I agree 100%. I saw it today and it was awesome.

The trailers did spoil some parts of the action sequences but the whole movie was great and the music too, fit so well.

I am definitely going to go see it again soon.

Alittle Off topic:
I don't know if any of you have seen the Animatrix yet, but 4 of the stories answer some of the questions. As who the kid was that neo saved, and who and what was osiris. The Last Flight of The Osiris is pretty much the prequel to Reloaded. Plus it has great CGI.

SPOILERS to FOLLOW!!! Stop Reading Now If you've not seen the movie.
Last Warning

Did you guys catch the architect saying "this is the 6th matrix, and that Zion has been rebuilt that many times"? What I'm guessing is that what they think is the real world where Zion is outside the matrix is also the Matrix. And that last thing with Neo at the end was interesting.

Well atleast we won't have to wait a whole year like with Lord Of The Rings to find out the conclusion of the story. Matrix Revolutions is coming in November. Can't wait.

* Goes To Listen To The Soundtrack.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellem"
[Image: Ax.gif]
Hey Dral (& lurkers),

Just got back from my second viewing (kinda of a compulsive when it comes to certain things) and I am full of the same kinds of speculations. Lots of things became more apparent the second time around... (especially the conversation between Neo and the architect).

I am goin half crazy trying to piece every little thing together (but having fun doing it) and in fear of spoiling it for those who haven't seen I'll say nothing at this time. There is one minute detail though that I thought I'd give a heads up for: Who is the mystery man being led out of the restaurant who makes eye contact with Neo?

And: "There are no accidents."

God I freaking LOVE this film.

I hate you all. I don't know when I'll be able to see Reloaded. :(

Although, judging by the thread, it'll be another great Agent Smith flick!

- WL

Screw Neo, Agent Smith is the man! :ph34r: