How does a Barbarian handle physical immunes?
OK, I've twisted my brain in most directions, searched both this forum and amazon basin, but still can't seem to find what I'm looking for :(

Basically, my WW barb just got to hell difficulty and suddenly half the unique monsters I run into are immune to physical damage. I'm not really sure how to handle that. I was looking over the skill-trees but didn't get any ideas from that. At first I thought War Cry, but it seems to be physical damage only (according to the forum at the basin) and the damage seems too low anyway.

So what to do? Do I need some unique uber polearm with lots of +elemental damage or is there another way out. I don't trade, so it would have to be something I can find/create without too much hassle.
It would be the perfect irony if I need some unique polearm only findable in hell/hell :lol:
(Yeah, it is a polearm barb. Gonna go with a Scythe kind of weapon once I find a decent one, if nothing else then because it looks so damn cool)

Any suggestions?

edit: Changed "immune to phyiscal immunes" into "immune to physical damage"
Berserk does Magical Damage.

Although it has a big drawback, a time of over 2 seconds after the 'Berserk' when your AC is reduced to 0,

It is (beside elemental weapons and perhaps War Cry, I dunno) the only way for a barb to make magical damage.

Keep in mind though, that once maxed to lvl 20, the 0-AC-Time is "only" 1.3 seconds, and the %Enhanced Damage gained by Berserk is something around 450%.

CU, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Ah, thanks. I missed that little detail. Maybe I should get my eyes checked?

It does not make much sense to me, that someone can get so angry they actually do magical damage to others, but as long as that PI unique boss goes down I don't really care.
Add 1 point to beserk, but there are areas such as the blood hills and where baals minions are that are a bit hard, as there are alot of phis imunes around.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
Yeah beserk works wonders. I've even found myself using a high level beserk on non-PI monsters due to its massive damage. It's also a great regular boss killer. *zerk* *zerk* *zerk* *whirl to regain mana* *zerk* *zerk* *zerk*

-Ryethe
The government makes paper airplanes out of our lives and files us out the windows. (Obasan)
Note that Berserk converts all physical damage of your attack into magical damage. This includes the basic weapon damage, strength and dexterity bonuses, bonuses to physical damage from skills, critical strike, etc. The additional damage of Berserk is also first physical damage, which then gets converted into magical damage. Thus, you may use, for example, might mercenary or laying of hands (vs. demons) to up Berserk's magical damage.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Berserking works nice with Lightsaber too. It has good physical damage for Zerk to add too as well as a lot of magical damage already on the sword.

From your post it seems you are playing a polearm barb though, but I thought I'd share this little tidbit.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci