Movie troubles...
Hail Lurkers,

I'll admit right off: as many years as I have been playing around with PCs, once it comes to anything involving sound or vision, I don't know jack. However, as those are the two most popular things online, I'm hopeful someone here might know something that can help me :D

I downloaded a collection of fansubs off the LAN here, in .avi format, and was able to watch the first two fine. Trouble is, when I run the third, it gets part of the way through the intro, then cuts out; it may also be notable that the progress bar does not move (and if I manually move it, it doesn't do anything), and it does list the full 1/2 hour of footage under time remaining. This was with xine; when I booted to Windows, I tried it with MediaPlayer and it said it was an unsuported format (yet it does list .avi as a supported type), and does nothing (it also refuses to run the others - which xine ran - though with a different error); DivX Player just doesn't do anything - hate Windows more as it has some display glitches (I know it needs a reinstall, but that'll kill LILO), and I rebooted again.

Now, since the other two worked fine, I am pretty sure it cannot be the codec, so I assumed something went funny during download. I tried again; same result. Tried again, from a different source; same result. It seems like it must be my PC... but why only this one file?

Also, more anoying than anything else, but some .rm files stick on me: they get to a point, then stop; I have to manually advance them one frame to continue. What is up with that? I've not yet checked if that was just a dodgy download, but intend to tomorrow.

Does anyone have any thoughts to this? Thanks!
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Hail, Mighty one.

If I were you, I'd first install gspot, a program which tells you what you need in order to run an avi-file. It lets you know what codecs you need, and also states any other problem with the file and a possible solution.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot21.zip

Secondly, you should get Avifixed, a program which rebuilds damaged avi-files.
http://www.divx-digest.tv/software/edit/av...ixed1_1b1en.zip

Hope this helps

- [winzip]Angel
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
You said .avi so I am betting it's DivX. Note that they came out with a new version of the codec, 5.0.5. The older codecs choke when they try to play .avi's made with the new one. Just make sure you have the latest one from divx.com
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Hail [wcip]Angel,

Nice links there: thanks for that :) The first one told me it had a filter problem (whatever that means - I'll look it up later), and the second one corrected it. Every place there was an error, the animation goes a little skew, but it's nothing serious. Thanks for that :)
You grace me with your honour.

I am not worthy to speak your name, thus I humbly
throw myself at your feet, begging that I will someday
relive the celestial extacy that was my helping you
earlier this day

Your illuminated divinity is only superseeded by your
exalted generosity.

Yours forever, in life, death and beyond, your loyal
servant

- [wcip]Angel

[Image: mirror.gif]
No need to go quite that over the top, eh? The mods here are not like at some other places: we can be provem wrong, we are not claiming to be perfect, and we don't expect to be treated specially :)
But... you mean... you're mortal?

;)
I Demand Pie.
BobThePumpkin,May 12 2003, 03:37 AM Wrote:But... you mean... you're mortal?

;)
[Image: lol.gif]
Hail Bob,

Elves can die, but only by violence, or through no longer wanting to live - should the cares of the world bring them down over the centuries. So, mortal, but not the same as humans :lol:
Oh great, so you could live a few thousand years or more? Something must be done...

*readies crossbow* :ph34r:
I Demand Pie.
Take me out if you have to, Bob! I'll gladly sacrifice myself to spare everyone else!
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Stick to the topic, you bozos!

*Stabs Elric* :P
And you do not ask the cost...
O_O I didn't realise it. Elirc made an OT post! BAN HIM!

:ph34r:
I Demand Pie.
Hail Bob,

The Lounge *has* no topic: how can you be off topic here?