leechers
hiya all, allready on my third post :P and this time its 1 of my own, lol.

when playing diablo 2 lod, mainly in cows, but sometimes they enter my game, i notice leechers. that is, characters which cant posibly kill anything in that game.

i first learnt to hate them a year or 2 ago when, the best item i had ever seen, dropped from a cow id killed. a gaze, but, because my computers slow, it took me a second to get there. in which time a leeching ass stole the gaze and rubbed it in.

it would be interesting to find out how much they lessen your exp. does anyone know a way to calculate this?

generealy, when i get to fed up, i take my sorc for a ride. those nice meteors and hydras pick off the leechers pretty well :D sometimes, if im reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyy cruel, i get my nec. among his skills include the capasity to summon 80 monsters ( i can get this over 100, but am poor so cant afford that many summoning charms), includes that nice skill, bone wall.

as you know, monsters and players can attack this, but a leecher cant break his way out. now, i get the king, and walk him to the leecher surounded in bone. the king then begins to attack his way through.

of course, the player will often tp to town and use the red, where i put 1 cow. this cow wouldnt kill a non-leecher as its just the 1, but that leecher is stuck. bit complicated, but i am a cruel sour player :D

be nice to hear your views on leechers, i understand in hc, as the odd times ive played it only a sorta rushed ass got to about 45, but in sc i dont think its needed.

nice site on here, is there a clan or anything based on this site? ive read alot of the blurb, but i dont have that long so cant read it all. thanks,

kier :D
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
Leechers aint all bad. It is quite possible be 100% beneficial when you leech, its also fully possible to be a major pain in the **** :)

As far as the xp goes, leechers can under the current rules boost your xp. A simple example is a lvl 10 leecher with a lvl 90 killer. 2 people in a game doubles the life of all monsters, and gives 2/3 more xp. If the lvl 10 is in the same named area (ie cow lvl) as the 90 and they are both in a party, the xp is also boosted by a bit (50% i belive) so the final xp for a monster will then be :
100 * 1 + (2/3) + 0.5 = 210%, of this xp the lvl 90 will get 90% while the lvl 10 will get 10%. The total xp for the lvl 90 is then 210*0.9 = 189%. Against this number you have to faktor in kill speed and survivability. Killing a single double hit point monster is easier than killing 2 single hit point monsters.

As soon as there are more players than 2 the calulations get complicated, but the principle stays the same. The xp is boosted as loong as the kill speed dont go to low. 7 lvl 1 chars and 1 lvl 90 char would probably suffer a bit, but a mixed party with 4 fast killers and 4 leechers will do very well, and much better than the 4 fast killers alone. They would probably also stand quite nice upp to a pure 8 fast killers party, since a party like that often kills so fast that finding the monsters becomes an issue :) (for example lightning fury is most effective against a huge crowd, and with 8 lf zons in a map the crowd would get so spread out between the zon's that killing speed would suffer.

The bad about leechers are the fact that they grab items and often make a pester out of themself. In my guild we often do cowruns with "dedicated leechers"™ and its quite fun and good xp, and of course its much more fun when the leechers actually behave themselfs :)
Since I'm a purist and set level limits on my games, I have no problems with leechers.
kier,May 9 2003, 06:59 AM Wrote:nice site on here, is there a clan or anything based on this site? ive read alot of the blurb, but i dont have that long so cant read it all. thanks,

kier  :D
Hi kier

Welcome to the Lounge.

However, it is called the LURKER Lounge for a reason. Most folks actually lurk for a while and get the feel of the place before posting.

Taking short cuts because you 'don't have that long' an attention span gets you responses like this one, or worse. :o

Use real grammar. Sentences start with capital letters. I am not the only one who thinks it hurts my eyes to have to figure out where your sentences start and end. <_<

For the rest of your question, try reading this 'blurb', written by one of our moderators.

http://www.geocities.com/elricofgrans/lounge.html
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,May 9 2003, 01:41 PM Wrote:Use real grammar.&nbsp; Sentences start with capital letters.&nbsp; I am not the only one who thinks it hurts my eyes to have to figure out where your sentences start and end.&nbsp; &nbsp; <_<
aww come on shadow who needs punctuation anyway james joyce certainly didnt and what about gonzo journalism and kerouc and all for that matter all postmodern and postpostmodern and postpostpostmodern and so forth free yourself from the chains of punctuation unpunctuated sentences of the world unite dont give in to the temptation to use punctuation and remember derrida and foucalt will make you free hmm i wonder if there is a deconstructionist way to play d2

:P
Interestingly the patch information which flashed before us this morning (err, last night for some people ;) ) contained a revision to the exp sharing description:

Quote:Finally, only those party members within 2 screens of the monster death receive experience.

Reported by Spacehound here:
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...2&t=25430&st=45

Now we know a lot of what we saw was wrong but if this is true it will make leeching harder

You might find the odd level 5 in Hell still but all you have to do to shut them down is run past the first pack and then start your killing. At that point they would get no exp but boost your own exp gain by their presence :)

Co-operative leeching should still be possible but the really annoying thing has always been hopeless characters inflicting their presence upon people who don't want them there
Listen to ShadowHM, otherwise you might end up making posts like the following. (I accidentally found this in the b.net forums today - though it smells more like I stepped in it.)

Kirvelis, 5/9/2003 12:14:38 AM GMTDT Wrote:1. omgooses look at dis itam i mad | 5/9/2003 12:14:38 AM GMTDT&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;

str of all teh abrbarians
sacred AR
def:4000
+3400 def
+250 all resitss
+7 to all teh stats

an mak it so teh only monstar dat can drop it iz norm meph omgooses bets itam evar!111
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Your sour sharr fuer teh herrforge." -Teh Azn Smif&nbsp;

Perhaps goldfish has already started down this road... ;)

-- CH
Rofl @ Oh my gooses!

It has a certain charm :lol:
Well I dont think all leechers are bad, the only ones that bother me are the ones you describe in your post. I guess I am lucky, I dont encounter them a whole lot. I wouldt mind seeing a cap on the difficulties myself since IMO anyone under a certain level has no buisness in nightmare or hell. ie Say level 30 for nightmare and level 50 for hell. Sure it might put a damper on those fun rushes, but honestly how much experience do you get at level 10 in hell cows? Ive been there and Id much rather level in the Tamoe Highlands, it is a hell of a lot faster leveling there with 8 level 10's.

Shadow you need to check your attitude! Responses like yours do not make a good impression of the lounge as a whole. Not to mention the fact that most of the time all fire does is start more fires. You could have goten your point across without being rude.

One more thing...the guy did use punctuation. Also as a bit of trivia Ill add that in ages past the greeks/romans? didnt use punctuation at all, didnt have capital or lower case letters, and alot of times didnt put spaces between thier words.

*I was going to put a lengthy example of what I mentioned above right here but decided not to since it made the post itself waaay to wide. :)*

Amaethon
Quote:Shadow you need to check your attitude! Responses like yours do not make a good impression of the lounge as a whole. Not to mention the fact that most of the time all fire does is start more fires. You could have goten your point across without being rude.

I advise you to take your own advice.

ShadowHM has sat on this forum alot longer than most of us, and has demonstrated far more patience than most would bother with for idiots. You, by opening your mouth, have merely lumped yourself in with the jerks that fail to heed good advice when it's offered.

Further: Take your trivia and shove it. The Lurker Lounge expect statments, punctuation, proper spelling and an EFFORT to make communication. We don't accept excuses for those that insist that these are optional or "old fashioned". Those that do not use these conventions receive a warning (as ShadowHM did, above). Those that continue with their inadequacies will recieve flames. Those that persist will see themselves hunted, hounded and finally thrown to the Moderators by the Regulars.

ShadowHM makes an EXCELLENT example of what and who the Lurker Lounge considers as a responsible and productive poster. You, however, have yet to prove anything beyond a capacity to be a lippy little bastard.

Strike one.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Amaethon,May 9 2003, 09:37 PM Wrote:Also as a bit of trivia Ill add that in ages past the greeks/romans? didnt use punctuation at all, didnt have capital or lower case letters, and alot of times didnt put spaces between thier words.
I would prefer to believe that, in the last two millenia, we have made some sort of progress in communicating clearly with the written word.

But then at work, I keep telling beginning programmers "Whitespace is your friend"...

BTW, I am one of the bleeding heart, feel-good types on the Lounge, and I don't think Shadow's post was uncalled for. It wasn't just the punctuation - I believe it was more the "nice site on here, is there a clan or anything based on this site? ive read alot of the blurb, but i dont have that long so cant read it all" that triggered the reply.

Nicodemus Phaulkon Wrote:Further: Take your trivia and shove it.
That was a bit uncalled for. I happen to like trivia in it's proper place. And besides, you're wrong. We don't throw them to the moderators - we throw them to Pete.

-- CH
Hail Amaethon,

"Shadow you need to check your attitude!"

Actually, standard response here: if she didn't say it, someone else would have. She's done the right thing. If you think it's giving the wrong impression of the Lounge, you've not been here long enough ;)

"Also as a bit of trivia Ill add that in ages past the greeks/romans?"

The correct grammar is I'll ;) *ahem* At any rate, there are plenty of languages that do not have punctuation such as we do, however that is in the language! If you added it, you'd confuse the heck out of those people; likewise, if you take a language that *does* require punctuation and remove it... well, you'll get flames, hit with a rolled up scroll of grammar +1, and likely have trout-burn on your face ;)

*flicks the water off his trout and resheathes it*
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I was just wondering, are there times when protocol demands use of some other species of fish than a trout? A mackerel, for instance. And how would the manual of arms differ?

-- CH
(who feels he had pre-agreed with Elric in his earlier post)

(A first stage of learning music is learning the rules. A more advanced stage is knowing when to break them. Skipping straight to breaking the rules might not be the best idea.)
I guess that when you really want to hurt someone you use sardines. A tin of sardines ;)
Hail Celtic Hound,

Not really: it's pretty well always trout. I once threw minnows at Nico like they were shuriken, and I've dual-wielded salmon or something before, but it's usually trout. I'll stick with what I know ;)
Not even the occasional bass? Or a catfish? Those whiskers have quite a sting. :ph34r:
WWBBD?
ShadowHM,May 9 2003, 06:41 PM Wrote:
kier,May 9 2003, 06:59 AM Wrote:nice site on here, is there a clan or anything based on this site? ive read alot of the blurb, but i dont have that long so cant read it all. thanks,

kier&nbsp; :D
Hi kier

Welcome to the Lounge.

However, it is called the LURKER Lounge for a reason. Most folks actually lurk for a while and get the feel of the place before posting.

Taking short cuts because you 'don't have that long' an attention span gets you responses like this one, or worse. :o

Use real grammar. Sentences start with capital letters. I am not the only one who thinks it hurts my eyes to have to figure out where your sentences start and end. <_<

For the rest of your question, try reading this 'blurb', written by one of our moderators.

http://www.geocities.com/elricofgrans/lounge.html
shadow.... I understood him and even i have problems with spelling this is a website not a college class room, if you dont like dont read or TYPE its easy for some to be able to correct them selfs but some do sufer from things like me! your more than annoyance to ones that are trying to share there points we dont come here to be corrected you want to correct there paragraphs then start your own lounge and cease your stupid corrections

so either dont read it or enjoy it we all cant be perfect in are spellings of words

but at least i am trying and i dont have my wife here to help me yet so i am trying to make actual context sentences and i am doing good some what
but the way your jumped dows his throat dont does not justify your rudeness to him and he just said he was new here!... third time posting he is quite the newbie we are suposed to help them... not smack them around and make them scared of making mistakes, sometimes you can do more by telling where they made there mistakes and offer to show where they messed up dont bring down your wrath upon them!! :>
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
"Your Friend at the End"

I couldn't resist: it's such a classic. :D

Personally, I'm a huge fan of properly punctuated text.

Having been sight-reading sheet music for so long, punctuations, to me, are very important devices: they tell me when I can breathe.
Combine unpunctuated text, abandant typos, and a habit of souding out words silently as they are read, and you get a pair of very unhappy lungs. ;)
Quote:Not really: it's pretty well always trout. I once threw minnows at Nico like they were shuriken, and I've dual-wielded salmon or something before, but it's usually trout. I'll stick with what I know

Your technique fell victim to my chopsticks and Wasabi-of-death. ;)

*clickclick*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Hail Nicodemus,

Indeed, your Chopstickfu was good, but you shall never best my Troutjutsu! *mouth keeps moving*

One day you shall realise that Fishdo is the ultimate way of combat! *mouth keeps moving - head falls back in manical laughter*

... Ha!