Alright, I've confused myself
Alright, I don't think I've done anything new to my PC since I last played Diablo except install(and play) XCOM Apocalypse. But now I get an interesting error whenever I try to start diablo:

Quote:Setup was unable to launch the following program:
                  Diablo II.exe
             Error 0x00000002:  The system cannot find the file specified.
             (P:\Data\D2\Tools\Diablnst\Source\Procs.cpp:105)

Installation aborted.

It gives this error when I try to load Diablo from the CD splash screen. If I try to load from the desktop icon, I get both opening cinematics, but when the opening options screen should load, it kicks me back to the desktop. I've reinstalled D2 and LOD once already, but the error msg keeps coming up.

Looking at this error, I see that it is looking for a file in the P drive(P:\). This seems like it cannot be correct considering I don't have a P drive.
After the reinstall it still gives me the same error. Any answers for me before I try to meddle with it myself again?

Is there something simple I'm missing? (obviously I must be missing something)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
The P: path to Procs.cpp is just the path to where that Diablo II program code once was at Blizzard. It's there to help Blizzard debug things (105 is the line in the Procs.cpp source code that generated the error) and it's not that it tries to look at P: for anything on your drive. You don't have Procs.cpp, since only Blizzard has the source code.

The error message is correct though -- it can't find a file it's searching for. It looks like it's simply looking for Diablo II.exe which should be in your Diablo II directory.

If it's there, you might wish to go start RegEdit (Start Menu -> Run... -> type "regedit.exe") and look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Blizzard Entertainment, then Diablo II. Then make sure all paths are looking correct there.
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
I figured somesuch about that P:\ path, I've seen error msgs that were similiar from some of the drop hacks. I looked at the registry and all the paths seemed correct, but I'm at my work pc right now so I can't check for a while.

I bet it is just an incorrect entry in the registry then, if that's what that error means(the file Diablo II.exe is certainly in my Diablo II directory...). I'll take a closer look when I get home after work. Still odd that something has changed when I have done nothing that I know of that should have had any such result.

Thanks.

EDIT: Little clarification.
I've fixed that one by rerunning the video test. Think it happened after I upgraded my DX version for another game I installed. Too tired right now to speculate as to why a missing file error can be fixed by re-running the video test, but give it a shot.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Alright I got home and tried a few things. The registry is all good and should be fine.

I ran the video test, and much to my astonishment, my PC came up as unable to play Diablo 2. Silly me! and I had been playing D2 for over a year on it.

I guess the evil installation of Xcom Apoc must have somehow messed up my directX settings... I went to the directx website, and got the latest version of it. When the installation program for directx tried to restart my computer, the whole thing locked up. Yay.

Once I started it up again, my desktop is all screwed up and all my IE shortcuts lead only to MSN setup -weird.

But, Diablo II does load properly now. As long as I have D2 ready when 1.10 comes out, I'll be happy; even if nothing else is right.

Thanks for the video test tip.
Hmmmmm I was having the same problem lately with loading D2 at the firestation (yes that is what we do when we are waiting around for calls... we also are setting up a CS server :P Much fun) and couldn't figure out what the problem was, now I will have to try the video test again I guess. Thanks, Swiftslayer2