Personally to Mr.Jarulf and to whom it may concern
Having read your guide to Diablo and Hellfire,I would like to ask you one question.
Why all these formulas? Do you seriously think that amidst a hot battle with,say,8 Frost Chargers(e.g.of course) a player would look in your guide for their intelligence factor?Hell no.I say that as a fairly experienced D1 player-i give a damn about everything and give a healthy bash to each of these creatures.AND THE HELL WITH ALL RESISTANCES...
And why did you need to spoil all of game-playing fun? Did I(or anybody else)needs to know what price Gris sells or buys at? That's not fair...I'd like to mutter "Oh S#it!!!" every time i'm INEXPECTEDLY out of money,not expecting it.
Note that I'm still astonished by the amount of work you have done.Only a devoted player could have done that.You are a great person and therefore rightfully respected by the community.This is only MY opinion.
Ja, well, personally I agree -- Mr. (or Ms.) Jarulf is a big spoilsport, and *to hell* with resistances.Who needs them?Last time I was in a battle with those frost chargers you know what happened?I died while checking his guide.Some guide that is.I hope he makes a shorter one without all those formulas.
Hail Charred Star,

Why? Because people (like me) want to know! Is there any other reason worth noting? Well, for completeness too, but still: there are people who do want to know, so it's worth including. I for one do use such things in-game, so don't push it! I've also had many, many guild-mates ask me questions in game that require me to get out a calculator and tap away on that with one hand while using the mouse with the other. Reason enough?

I also must note that someone else posted the same flamebait as this about a month ago. I would hope this is the last time we have to see it from anyone...
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Do you seriously mean that Jarulf spoiled all game playing fun?

Do you also think that the authors of all the walkthroughs on the net spoiled the games they wrote them for? Do you think math books are useless because you can look up the correct answers at the end of the book?

Jarulf's Guide is an invaluable resource for those who needs it, or are just plain interested. If it spoils YOUR game-playing fun, well then DON'T READ IT! Don't waste your time bickering on hard work.
My thoughts exactly Meshuggah!
IMHO we should bow our head and be thankfull to Jarulf for all the work he has done.

BTW, if you found Jarulf's guide, you were looking for a way to "spoil" the gaming experience, weren't you?
Or did it just fell out of the sky as a godly gift :blink:
Well... Sometimes it's nice to know the exact mechanics behind the game. For instance, knowing if your measly 10-charge staff of Apocalypse has any chance of taking out a pack of Hell Advocates without recharging while at clvl 30 is certainly useful. It's the difference between picking up their drops or picking up your drops after all.

But then again, sometimes it's just better to wade in without checking math. Your choice.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
. . . just in time to catch the feeding of the trolls :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Do you seriously think that amidst a hot battle with,say,8 Frost Chargers(e.g.of course) a player would look in your guide for their intelligence factor?

There is such a thing as a stupid question. Troll #1.

And why did you need to spoil all of game-playing fun? Did I(or anybody else)needs to know what price Gris sells or buys at? That's not fair...

If you don't think it's a good thing to know, don't read it. You have no place telling us what we have no right knowing when your best argument is "that's not fair." Troll #2.

This is only MY opinion.

No, it's something I stepped in mowing the lawn this weekend. Your post lacked cogent thought. You trolled. Don't do it again.

-Lem
But they look so sad and helpless, who can resist throwing them a treat? :)
Thecla,May 6 2003, 04:38 AM Wrote:Ja, well, personally I agree --  Mr. (or Ms.) Jarulf is a big spoilsport, and *to hell* with resistances.Who needs them?Last time I was in a battle with those frost chargers you know what happened?I died while checking his guide.Some guide that is.I hope he makes a shorter one without all those formulas.
TheCla,

I almost spilled my drink reading that and laughing...

Thanks!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I had some time to kill...

>Having read your guide to Diablo and Hellfire,I would
>like to ask you one question.

Why all these questions? DO you seriously think I have the time to answer them while cruising these forums? I get draged down and almost die trying to answer them as when I see them.

>Why all these formulas?

It would have been too booring with pictures.

> Do you seriously think that amidst a hot battle
>with,say,8 Frost Chargers(e.g.of course) a player would
>look in your guide for their intelligence factor?

That would be utterly stupid since it would not help you out knowing the intelligence factor. It is much better to check your own intelligence factor, that way you can figure if you have the brains to remember things read when NOT playing the game, for use when you actually DO play the game.

>Hell no.I say that as a fairly experienced D1 player

Any decently experienced D1 player knows the inteligence factors by heart, so you can't be one.

>-i
>give a damn about everything

See, then you simply can't be an experienced D1 player.

> and give a healthy bash
>to each of these creatures.AND THE HELL WITH ALL
>RESISTANCES...

Of course, those were added to confuse people only. Anyone with an intelligence factor of 3 or above would have spoted that. The guide was obvisouly not for you.

>And why did you need to spoil all of game-playing fun?

How can it spoil anything for someone that doesn't care and die every time he tries to figure something out? Well, lets give the first clue, a guide is supposed to spoil stuff, otherwise it would have been a work of poetry or something, not a guide. The whole point of a guide is to spoil. Duh!

>Did I(or anybody else)needs to know what price Gris
>sells or buys at?

Beats me. I don't care really.

> That's not fair...I'd like to mutter "Oh S#it!!!" every
>time i'm INEXPECTEDLY out of money,not expecting it.

Ehh, so do that then. My guide wouldn't help you prevent that situation anyway. Despite answering posts like, I can still go "Oh S#hit!!!" every time I'm UNexpectedly out of answers to silly questions. It is just a matter of experience. You will catch up some day!

>Note that I'm still astonished by the amount of work
>you have done. Only a devoted player could have done
>that.You are a great person and therefore rightfully
>respected by the community.This is only MY opinion.

Sorry, I really can't think of any "good" answer here. On the other hand, it was not a questions. What a waste of time....oh well....
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
"If you haven't got something nice to say, hold your peace."

More recently I have advised others . . .

"If all you can do is spew bile and ignorance, STFU!"

The problem is, on the internet, you can say STFU, but you can't really make it happen unless you have a BAN button that works.

More simply, friend Charred Scar, if you don't like guides, dont use them and the game will not be spoiled for you: ever. You can enjoy your "Oh s%$#" experience to its fullest. Why else buy and play a game? :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hail Jarulf,

Your guide would have been funny in verse :D

There once was a Dog from the Caves
Who sent Rogues to their graves
Magic Resistance was high
By acid spit doth I die
But its flesh my sword doth craves

See how much better that is? You know everything you would ever want to know about Pit Beasts, without any silly numbers or tables.

Now you have seen the light, go back and rewrite your whole guide in verse :D
...and I was SO hoping to see one of Pete's Patented Flames. :D

With summer around the corner, I'm itching for some barbecue. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,May 7 2003, 06:51 PM Wrote:...and I was SO hoping to see one of Pete's Patented Flames. :D

With summer around the corner, I'm itching for some barbecue. :D
I enjoy the hilarious ribbing more than direct flames, but that's just my preference. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself reading this thread!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
who's this Bolty-guy anyway?
Quote:who's this Bolty-guy anyway?

Well, Mesh, that's an excellent point. But I think it begs the real question -- is it Mr. Jarulf or Ms. Jarulf? And if it is Mr. Jarulf, who the hell is Mrs. Jarulf anyway?
Who is who at the Lurker Lounge

Bolty: strange, old, crazy guy who hangs around. Tells funny little stories like "I made the Lurker Lounge," and "I went to Blizzard." Just smile and nod.

Mr Jarulf: wierd guy who thinks it's funny to combine random letters, numbers and mathematical symbols, then put together some totally implausable tale that they relate to a game.

Mrs Jarulf: behind every wierd guy is a wierd woman. The missus is the one who writes up tales around the numbers and stuff mentioned earlier, to make them almost seem authentic.

Elric: no one is too sure who Elric actually is, but there is one thing that is for sure... he sure is cool, and hansome, and yes ladies, he is single ;)
Quote:Mrs Jarulf: behind every wierd guy is a wierd woman. The missus is the one who writes up tales around the numbers and stuff mentioned earlier, to make them almost seem authentic.

And remember folks, if you want to distinguish between Mr. Jarulf and Mrs. Jarulf, look for the pink ribbon.
Was an Albino Kangaroo. Handsome, in some exotic way I suppose, to female 'roos.

Just goes to show how little one actually knows! :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete