Ok now this game is Diablo in Space
Alright you not so 1337 n00bs :P . I am a freelancer player, yes. And we should all play on the Lancers Reactor's server "elite" if any of you have found a way to get onto it, please to god help me, since I cannot get the password to work heh. As for those advanced rippers....pffft. When you beat the game you can get nomad weapons in the border world systems, they have around 800 damage and a refire rate of four, not to mention you can mount four of em on a ship like the eagle! Good luck, there is 10x more to find after single player.

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
I'm still trying to find an eagle. i know its in omicron theta but I cant find that system yet.
Signatures suck
If you want a big spoiler, I can point you to a website that has a full game map, including all jump holes and gates. I also know how to get just about anywhere on the map personally.

Hint: check the vast, dangerous clouds of Sigma 13 for a hole to Sigma 17...after that you're on your own.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
You can get to theta through a jumphole in either sigma 17 or 19 i forget, but its on the east side of the map, follow the patrol paths and you'll get to it. You need to be a lvl 30 to buy the eagle however so happy hunting!

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
go ahead and spoil away Bolty! :) whats the site?
Signatures suck
bschultz,May 4 2003, 02:37 PM Wrote:go ahead and spoil away Bolty! :)  whats the site?
Freelancer Navigator

Enjoy!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
bschultz,Apr 30 2003, 09:45 PM Wrote:there is little to no story
Excuse me? Have you even played the game?

Sure the story is short but it's an incredible story, I couldn't leave the game for 3 days until I finished it.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,May 4 2003, 08:55 PM Wrote:Sure the story is short but it's an incredible story, I couldn't leave the game for 3 days until I finished it.
Agreed!
-- James Branch Cabell
The only problem with the story... is Trent!

"Uh... Yeah."

:lol:

- WL
Question: Where the heck do Freelancer screenshots get filed? I can't seem to find any of mine. I really want a pic of my fully tricked-out, badass Dragon:

2x "Catapult" Missile Launcher
2x "Wakizashi" Laser Cannon
2x "Advanced Ripper" Tachyon Cannon
1x "Starkiller" Torpedo Launcher
1x "Tadpole" Mine Layer
1x Advanced Countermeasure Dropper

The only thing I need to work on is the Rippers... I need to find another cannon type that has a velocity of 750 and refire of 8.33, to match the Wakizashis--but hopefully with complementing damage types.

I'm about to start Mission 8, figure I probably do't have much more time left in Kusari space if the earlier segments of the story are anything to go by. <_<

- WL
Since it is a Microsoft published game I would like in \My Document possibly \My Documents\My Games for some reason MS likes to put everything in My Documents for the games they publish/make, other games are doing it too. This was the case with Dungeon Siege, Madden 2003, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, and a couple other ones. All the game data ends up in My Documents. The only reason for this that I can see is easier seperation of the game data on multi user systems since it goes in the specific user's My Docs.

I finally got a chance to check, there is a \My Documents\My Games\Freelancer folder. I don't know if that is where the screenies are, but good place to check. If you are like me and I have remove My Documents from you desktop since you never use it. Go to the drive that XP is installed on and then \Documents and Settings\UserID\My Documents...
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Ok, so I picked this up because of the good vibes coming from this thread.

I'm about a few hours into the game, and at the point where Juni and I are to guard the freighters going to the research station in California. My problem is, the ambush at the third buoy is impossible for me to get past. Either the enemies ignore me and wipe out the freighters (which is a problem, because when they ignore me, I can't lock onto them) or they all focus on me and wipe out my shields and batteries in no time flat.

So I thought, okay, maybe I need something stronger. I go back to an old save and head for Texas. But the pirates there I can't handle. In New York I could take on four pirates alone and be fine. In Texas, two at a time is tough, but when they jump you with eight ... :(

So what am I doing wrong? I've got the Defender (or whatever it's called that's on the battleship Missouri), and the best weapons I can currently buy.

[edit: That would be Lavablade Mk. III, 2 Drails, Adv. Stunpulse, Windstalker Missile, and an Adv. Starbeam turret.]
Quote:[edit: That would be Lavablade Mk. III, 2 Drails, Adv. Stunpulse, Windstalker Missile, and an Adv. Starbeam turret.]

I would advise you to replace the Lavablade and Stunpulses. Drails are great guns for that point in the game (somewhat better than Justice IIIs, more damage but more energy drain), but Lavablades fire slow (refire rate of 2.00/sec I believe), which makes them hard to hit with, and Stunpulses are shield-killing guns (they do something like 5 points of damage to hulls).

Your real problem, though, is that your guns have varying refire rates and/or "bullet" velocities. This makes it extremely hard to consistently hit targets. I would suggest going for a Justice III/Drail loadout alone. When you make level 6 (at the end of the mission you're on, I think), you can buy Vengeance Is, which are better than Justices or Drails (but require a class 4 hardpoint).

Oh, and I find missile launchers, while cool, aren't really worth the cost. They miss too frequently for my taste, and replacing them with guns saves you credits you would be spending on ammo. Flying a Defender with an all-gun loadout is tough (due to gun power limitations), but once you can upgrade to a Crusader (and later a Dragon), it's really not a problem.

Quote:I'm about a few hours into the game, and at the point where Juni and I are to guard the freighters going to the research station in California. My problem is, the ambush at the third buoy is impossible for me to get past. Either the enemies ignore me and wipe out the freighters (which is a problem, because when they ignore me, I can't lock onto them) or they all focus on me and wipe out my shields and batteries in no time flat.

IIRC, the guns those Daggers are packing are particularly effective against the shield type you can buy in New York. My advice would be to not meet them head-on when they first close in, otherwise they'll batter your shields down. Afterburn towards them at about a 30 degree deflection, and when you get close turn in to their formation to scatter them. After that I always just systematically take them out, but try to listen to the comms for the transports calling for help. If they do, break off and see if you can spot who's attacking them.

Quote:So what am I doing wrong? I've got the Defender (or whatever it's called that's on the battleship Missouri), and the best weapons I can currently buy.

It's your shield. Later on you can get really beefy (like 3000+ points) shields, but the dinky 1024 point level 2 shield is kind of weak, and with that low total power you'll really notice when the enemies have a gun type that's effective against your shield (just wait until you get jumped by Rheinland ships... I hate hate hate their plasma guns). The good news is, once you get those transports to Willard, you can buy a level 3 shield there, which should help a bit.

- WL
WarLocke, missiles require some timing to use, they're incredibly useful to deal with things faster, get the shields down and then send the missiles and if you got 2 launchers it'll most likely destroy the ship outright.

Honestly, I've went from the beginning to (sort of a spoiler here) after you kill that Ambassador until I was able to get the Anubis... can you imagine how hard it is to destroy those big ass generators without any Torpedos while you're in the middle of an enormous fight that everyone seems to hate your guts with a passion and you simply ran outta missiles and was left with only 10 catapult missiles to destroy the generators, needless to say it took me a few good hours to make it but I did :)

P.S An advice, use your Afterburners everytime you can in fights, you may have troubles with the added speed in fights but I garuntee that you'll get used to it, and you'll get hit less.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Quote:P.S An advice, use your Afterburners everytime you can in fights, you may have troubles with the added speed in fights but I garuntee that you'll get used to it, and you'll get hit less.&nbsp;

. . . Speed is life. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Thanks for the advice ... I managed to win that particular battle this time, after switching to all Drails. Are the Rheinland ships you refer to the ones that suddenly appeared in Liberty space? I actually found that fight to be easier than the one I had trouble with.

Anyway, now that those fights have bankrupted me (batteries are expensive, you know), is their any way to MAKE MONEY FAST? :D (Sorry, too much spam affects me this way.)

Those Vengeance guns are fairly expensive. I know you can switch to a freighter and haul cargo, but what's the deal with mining? I don't think that's explained in the manual (or at least, not very well.)

By the way, to echo TaiDaishar, I've found missiles to be excellent ways of polishing off an enemy. Or for that matter, a standoff weapon. The range of the lasers are only 600 meters (I think), so when closing in on an enemy, you can get a few missiles off before the furball begins.
To whoever mentioned the daggers weapons, those are scorpions, they are a xenos weapon. Hull damage of 73 i belive with refire 3.03, very effective killers. You can find them by killing xenos, the advanced versions are even better. If you want good guns at these lower levels they are what I would suggest. Although they lack range, they are fine in the close combat firefights in the early missions. Also, killing xenos is incredibly good for your reputation so dont worry about making new enemies, they hate everyone and everyone hates them.

Keenduck, I was going to suggest this earlier but you got past it. Get something aside from the defender, to be frank, its a bus. It turns like crap and i'd take ANY maneuverable ship over the defender any day, you will survive much longer when you can maneuver well.

As for anyone else, might I suggest the benefits of an engine kill mid flight? (default z key) you will continue to move at your current velocity and in the same direction however you can turn and shoot in any direction like a turret. This can be used to an even greater effect in a move called a powerslide in which you coast towards the enemy in this manner, cut the engines, turn around and shoot back at him after the first pass, hitting him while he is still turning around with full thruster power, like this:

x = you, y = enemy, --> = flight path, z = point of engine kill, use afterburners for thrust (pulse them).
each line is a new frame

x --------------------------------------> <---------------------------------------y
x---------------> <-----------------y
x---------------------------->
<------------------------y
x------------------> z
<--------------------------y
<-----------------------y ***** <--------------------x

-Wapptor
-- James Branch Cabell
Quote:Are the Rheinland ships you refer to the ones that suddenly appeared in Liberty space?

Yeah, the big green gunboat-looking ships (actually Valkyrie-class heavy fighters, but they look big enough to be gunboats IMO, and Rheinland "gunboats" are more like light cruisers) were the ones I meant. Their green plasma pulse guns seem to tear down shields really fast. Just wait until you have to take on an entire fleet. <_<

Quote:Anyway, now that those fights have bankrupted me (batteries are expensive, you know), is their any way to MAKE MONEY FAST?

If you check the bars on different bases, sometimes someone will offer to sell you information (the little "I in circle" icon). Sometimes this is just info about a base, but other times they'll mark the location of an abandoned wreck on your navmap. Fly to it, shoot it, and out pops a bunch of goodies (varies by wreck, and is always constant). You can also just fly around randomly too, but you're less likely to find anything that way.

Two really nice wrecks should be available to you now: In the lower-left corner of the D5 sector in California, and in the lower-right corner of 6C in New York. Both of these wrecks have various guns and turrets, but more importantly each will drop 20 units of Cardamine, which sells for $1,500/unit on Manhattan. Cardamine's illegal though, so hope that you aren't scanned by the LSF on your way there... :ph34r:

Quote: know you can switch to a freighter and haul cargo, but what's the deal with mining? I don't think that's explained in the manual (or at least, not very well.)

Open up your navmap, and click on the "minable areas" option. Then go to one, and shoot the little flying rocks (NOT the big asteroid ones that bounce you around, the "shootable" ones are much smaller, and your targetting reticle will turn white when over one). If it drops anything, tractor it in. That's really all there is to mining...

Quote:The range of the lasers are only 600 meters (I think), so when closing in on an enemy, you can get a few missiles off before the furball begins.

Yeah, but cannon shots can't be shot down, and missiles most assuredly can. If you're approaching head-on, they probably will be, too. Ad then there's the annoying tendency of multiple missiles (if fired all at once) to collide and detonate prematurely while tracking a target. I agree they're great if they hit, but the percentage of hits is too low for me, personally.

I swear by torpedos, though. Nothing like 1200+ points of damage to ruin a cruiser's day.

Quote:Get something aside from the defender, to be frank, its a bus. It turns like crap and i'd take ANY maneuverable ship over the defender any day, you will survive much longer when you can maneuver well.

I kind of agree. While maneuverability is an advantage, it's not really much of one because of the way movement is handled. At some point you will need to keep your reticle targetted on an enemy, and then you effectively lose your maneuverability. Also, light fighters lose the other advantage they should have: speed. If lights had a combat speed of 120 or something, I'd be all over them, but since every player-pilotable ship in the game has the exact same top speed, what's the point?

Oh, and once you get used to HFs, LFs seem too twitchy. I've spent so much time in Defenders, Crusaders, and Dragons that I can barely pilot a Patriot or Drake.

- WL
Just to correct my former statment, I didn't go all the way to the president with a Defender, I went with the Light Fighter you can buy after you run away from Liberty in the station your cousin gives you money.
Well, I bought a Crusader simply because the Cavalier looked pale in comparison, and I couldn't buy the Legionnaire, since the Junkers hate me. Indeed, the Crusader does turn like a bus, but when you've got six weapons, you hit hard when you hit.

Question about the weapons platforms and outposts jobs. I took one outpost job and it took a fair bit of work to kill the outpost. (Fair bit of work in this case being more than ten shots or so, which is pretty much the max I need to take out most enemy ships.) Would it be a good idea to swap out a gun for a missile slot? Or better yet, any place I can buy torpedoes? The shops in the Leeds system don't seem to carry them.

And that escape from Liberty mission was way cool. Though I spent most of my time in cruise while Juni was getting pounded (I figured the odds weren't good, so I waited for Juni to see reason and give me the way points). :D Though by the time we hit the Magellan jump hole, her ship was critical all over and I could see her ship burning.