Member title
I have noticed a section entitled "Member title" in user profiles, but I don't see where we can change this. I notice at least that Elric has one ("Pointy-eared Admin") underneath the avatar. I would also like to have my own little epithet, if at all possible.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
...my secret is out ;)

Hail Langolier,

Unless I am wrong, there is no way to make the ability to set custom titles public; they can only be set by the Admins (this is the case for many a fora). It would be Bolty's call as to whether or not we would be doing so - after all, though a few are easy enough, if we had a heap of people requesting changes all the time, it could be a little hard on our free time ;)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
There is something I remember from a few of my old forums... There are special offers you can sign up for that when signed up for, they people who the forums are sponsering pay the Webmaster/Admin/Whatver you want to call them. Understand me so far (probably not...)? Now, the user who signs up for the offer gets "money" (not real money, just how much they have donated...) and when you get enough of this "money" you can buy things, such as custom titles, titles in color, and this would be added by the user. Of course, not sure how the admins feel on such a thing or whether or not it is even possible with the forum software...

Anyways, that's my 6 times 2 plus 1 divided by a devil's dozen plus 6532^0 cents. :P
I call "Local Asylum Occupant"! B)
A plague of exploding high-fives.
Bolty has long avoided any sort of member rankings, and if you've noticed he keeps only a tally on the donation page, rather than a list of donors.

Quote:Your only reward for donating is the knowledge that you're supporting this site - we can't and won't offer much more than that. Creating a "List of Donors" may encourage the wrong people to donate (those who really can't afford it) or convince people to donate for the wrong reasons (just to get on the list).

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
But if y'all ever change your mind, then I get dibs on "Resident Curmudgeon". :D

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Apr 30 2003, 10:10 AM Wrote:But if y'all ever change your mind, then I get dibs on "Resident Curmudgeon".  :D

--Pete
And you have earned it. ;)

As for me, 'Old Battleaxe' would be a fine epithet. :P
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I call Evil Moderator! If I can't get that, then Uber-Leet Haxor will have to do. :P
And you are more 1337 than I because...?

;)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
The DSFC has the same kind of blurb thing. If the LL ever let us have blurbs, might I suggest a sticky thread and infrequent blurb changes? (I'm quite happy living without a blurb, but the blurb option would be nice for those who want one.)
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Simple. Read my sig. Under "Favorite Characters" it even says I am uber-leet, and a haxor. :P Plus I am going to get godly elite armor and an ith sword. (Elite armor with the godly prefix, and a sword socketed with an Ith rune.)
There is a setting in the admin panel that allows a member to change the "title" field. I do not remember off hand where the setting is located so it might take a lil bit of hunting by someone who has the admin panel... but it *is* there.

EDIT: Did some checking and found the settings location. "Admin CP -> Board Settings -> User Profiles -> Number of posts a member must have over before allowing them to change their member title?" Using this set to 0, or 1 or 100 Users can be allowed to change their own "Custom Title". One issue with titles though, there is no wrap on them... so if someone puts something in that is 500 characters wide, they will offset the table by 470 chars; give or take a few.
Dix...

"Facta Non Grata"

[Image: dixen.gif]
That is interesting. Perhaps there is a setting to change the maximum character limit like there is in the signature...
--Lang

Quote: Did some checking and found the settings location. "Admin CP -> Board Settings -> User Profiles -> Number of posts a member must have over before allowing them to change their member title?" Using this set to 0, or 1 or 100 Users can be allowed to change their own "Custom Title".

I believe this is just the type of stupidity that Bolty would prefer to avoid.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,May 3 2003, 10:30 AM Wrote:I believe this is just the type of stupidity that Bolty would prefer to avoid.
Actually, if it weren't for the abuse potential of non-wrapping member Titles, I'd probably enable it.

Maybe in future versions of IPB (I do plan on upgrading the forum from time to time as long as it doesn't break what little threading we have here)...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I've seen it work on bigger boards, so why not? Avatars offer much more possibility for abuse.
Karasu,May 9 2003, 04:05 PM Wrote:I've seen it work on bigger boards, so why not? Avatars offer much more possibility for abuse.
Which you needed to prove immediately? :P
;)
The possibility of abuse is that member titles could be many characters long (thus offseting the page), not offensive content. Offensive content can be placed anywhere, it is has to be dealt with on a case by case basis.
--Lang

@nature: Eh? What do you mean?
has never seen the fuselage emblem of a Me109 before.

Or

That nature has, and has drawn conclusions about you based on your avatar.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete