A Necro tidbit
I am just curious if anyone on East has noticed a large number of headless necros lately. I know there havr been display bugs before, but it seems that the vast majority (I would estimate at least 9 in 10) of necromancers I see are missing heads. Perhaps there is an Uber hacked necro helm that doesn't show up or something.

Another possibility as to what may be causing this problem is my computer. Ever since I replaced my disc and reinstalled Diablo 2, I have been unable to play a necromancer. In single player, as soon as I try to enter a game I get "bad dead bodies or something.... When on B.net, whether it be hardcore, softcore, classic, or Lod, I am able to get into the channels, but when I try to create or join a game I get "failed to join game."

I have been able to play the other classes in a totaly normal fashion.

I dont now if this is related to the headless necros or not. Perhaps someone could provide some insight...

EDIT: confusing sentences
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Maybe he's holding his head in his hand as a shield 9 of the 10 times ? :lol:
So perhaps that's what happens when you equip an overlord skull......
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Hmm.....I've had that happen in single player.....but it was while I was playing around w/ a mod... (Sanctuary in Chaos)... caused a display bug on necros (just necros), but didn't cause the game to crash or anything... - have you tried asking tech support on USWest?
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
hmmmmmmmmmm....Ive been usin my necro for the last few weeks, and never was he headless :)

hehe....I use a UBER ELITE "Radiance" Bone visage too :)

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
Yeah I asked tech support os USWEST. They suggested I try connecting from a different location. I called up a trusted friend about 1200 miles away to logon to my account, and he had the same result (though he can play necros on his own account.)

When I messaged the tech guy, he told me to wait in line like everybody else, and when I explained I was already in front of line because I never left the channel, I was ignored. Great customer service eh?

Anyway, in the meantime I've discovered that this also happens to me in single player, as I have been unable to play D2 online much (I'm at the public library now...heh. Great toobe back from school.)

Oh well, I wanted to play a single player poison/bone necro, but I guess it wil wait..... I've never used a charged boltress...
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
You know, a re-install... :P

The game does get it's graphics files corrupted fairly often, I had my character select screen destroyed once. I've heard that Win file systems can do some nasty stuff if you don't leave about 5% free space on the drive, and I was getting my D2 corrupted quite often when the drive was full. Supposedly, setting all the .mpqs but "patch_d2.mpq" to "read only" should reduce the chance of corruption, it didn't help me in my specific full-hard-drive case, but people have reported that crashing for other reasons can introduce corruption into these data files if they aren't read only.
HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............Ive been getting a nice little blue screen of death recently that only happens when Im playing D2....and its funny that I recently had a total of 2% harddrive remainning.....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is it reinstall time?.....LOL thanks for the advice...Im gonna reinstall :)

Thanks again

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
Well, I reinstalled and got the same results....

I have 38% free still. Here is a rundown....and this is friggin wierd..

Can't play necros on my computer at all...not single player, b.net, nothing.

Can't play a necro on my account on ANY computer (I've tried 2 others.)

Can't see 90% of a necro heads on B.net on my comp. (Haven't sen headless necro on anyone else's)
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Well there is one obvious test remaining then isn't it...

Try and play necros on someone else's account
i.e.

- Ask them to make a new account and a new lvl 1 necro (let them make the account in case your computer
somehow screws accounts up or whatever)
- Ask them to join a game with this necro to prove they can
- Now you use that account and try join the game
- If it fails ask them to join the game again with this char

Wonder if you using the account with 'new-made-ok-to-start-with' necro will 'stuff up' the necro afterwards...
hence I only suggest a new lvl 1 necro for test.

Incidentally...

Try also copying all the *big* .mpq files not already on your Hard drive from the LOD CD to your harddrive
"c:\diablo II" (or whereever its installed). It could be that your cd has an error (or cd drive itself has issues) and reading some of the files off there does weird things :(. The game normally expects .mpq files on the hard disk but looks on the CD for some of the if not found.
Done....

The result was as you suggested. My computer somehow messes up necros.

This is what happened..

Friend makes level 1 necro on his computer on his account.
He succesfully joins AND creates a game(s)
I try and fail to either join or make
He tries again and cannot join or make (but he still can with his high nec...just the one I tried to play was messed up!

I guess I just need to live without playing necros... They aren't my fav class so I'll live. I have a thing for assns now!
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I guess one can always try this:

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=eSuppo...sagree&strmsg=3

Perhaps Bliz can discern what is wrong with the lvl 1 necro and advise you <_<