Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance
Just curious if anyone has some feedback on this game, I'm thinkin of makin a purchase. Unfortunately the only place in my town that rents XBOX games doesnt have it for rent. :(
I have this game for my X-Box and it is completely different from the PC version. I feel cheated because i bought the X-Box with this game in mind thinking it would be like BG1 and BG2. I would say it is more like a poor man's version of Diablo. If you like hack n' slash games with very little strategy this game is for you.
Cenarius Alliance

Liscentia 80 Death Knight (450 Herbalism 425 Inscription)
Mysteryium 80 Shaman (450 Skinning 441 Leatherworking)
Tutelin 80 Priest (413 Enchanting 420 Tailoring)
Frozzen 73 Mage (Tailoring 375 Enchanting 375)
Obstinate 71 Hunter (375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy)
Squabbles 70 Warlock (Tailoring 375 Leatherworking 291)
Niniuin 70 Paladin (Herbailism 375 Alchemy 375)
Thunderous 66 Warrior (Mining 375 Tailoring 360)
I have this game for ps2 and love it. Of course, I hated BG1/2, and love hack-n-slash games with little strategy. Not sure if the X-Box version is any good, personally, but I would expect it to be as good or better, as the x-box is in general a more capable machine.
the game is sweet. its basically a 3d version of diablo and has coop two player mode. dont let the baldurs gate name fool you its not a crpg like the other baldurs gate games its an action hack and slash. and its very fun :)
Signatures suck
This was never supposed to be like the PC games. BG:DA was exactly what it was supposed to be.

Saying that, I think it's the best console hack n' slash out there. I haven't touched the X-Box version but I've wasted many hours w/ my friends on the PS2 version.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
My main complaint with it is that it's SHORT. My first time through the game only took 5 and a half hours, on normal. If you can find it cheap, get it because it's not a bad game at all.
WARNING: Minor game spoilers follow. I've avoided revealing anything about the plot, but one "easter egg" is revealed and one late-game boss is named.

Hi,

I've had a chance to play this game to completion in the PS2 release. While it's a fun hack-n-slash, with great graphics, a fun multiplayer mode, and an impressive faithfulness to AD&D 3rd Ed. rules systems, the game has one terrible drawback: lack of replay value.

Why? Simple, it lacks everything that COULD give it replay value. To wit:

1.) You cannot name your character or pick race or class beyond the three preconstructed characters (Female Elven Sorceress, Male Human Archer, and Male Dwarven Warrior), and the fourth "secret" character, Drizzt Do'Urden. All come with built-in names and stats. With Drizzt, you can't even change his weaponry (though he starts out bad ass). Therefore there's no reason to replay to try a new race / class combo (only 3 available), or to try a new name on for fun (can't).

2.) You gain so many points to put into your Feats (AD&D3rd's version of skills) that there is really no worry, except in the low levels, about being forced to use different builds for lack of points. Eventually, you can get pretty much every useful feat maxed out on your character. Therefore there's no reason to replay to try new "builds" - any build works.

3.) Monsters and items do not vary sufficiently to remain interesting. The vendors in each Chapter always sell the same thing (Odd how that lizardman always has a Flaming Mithral Great Axe +5 ready for me!). The monsters in each area are not quite pre-set in terms of numbers and positions, but the mixes and types are. The best melee weapon in the game is dropped by a near-end boss, the Obsidian Golem (think BG:DA's verion of Hephaesto, only less scary), and unimaginatively, this takes place in the Obsidian Tower and the weapon is the Obsidian Sword. It's better than any other weapon I ever saw in the game, both in damage and speed, so unless you like bows or spells, there isn't much variety to the game after you get the ObSword. Therefore, there's no reason to start a new game to see what different things you get (it's the same stuff).

You can start a new game in a harder difficulty, but things don't really improve much in terms of replay value. Frankly, once you've beat the game with the three main characters, you'll probably be quite ready to move on, though you'll probably want to take it out now and again for a fun dungeon crawl.

Two other minor problems: You can only save at a Save Point, and when you travel to a new Chapter, you can't save, retreat to the old area, or do pretty much ANYthing but kill monsters (and pray you live), until you find the next town. This can be a hassle when save points are far between, though in some places they're very closely spaced.

A worse problem is, the final dungeon drops an amazing trove of magical gear, which it would be great to sell off in town for cash. Problem is, you can't use a Recall Potion (BG:DA's version of Town Portal) from the final dungeon. D'Oh! Not sure whether this was an act of deliberate cruelty on the part of the game designers, or if they just didn't know how annoying it would be to leave hundreds of thousands worth of gear to rot when the game ends after you beat El Final Boss (about which I shall reveal nothing more).

My ratings, from 1 to 10:

Eye / Ear Candy: 9
"Fun" Factor: 7
Replayability: 3
Overall: 6.33

I would definitely recommend you rent this game at least once, to give it a try. I would also recommend you not waste your money buying it, as it will pall rapidly. To people used to the replayability of a D1 or D2, BG:DA will be over far too soon. =\

-Kasreyn
Not going to repeat what everyone else said about it already, just adding my opinion.

My wife and I did a 5 day rental from Blockbuster on it. Played through it 3 times (we each wanted to play each of the 3 characters). As far as I can tell from talking to a friend with a PS2, the X-Box version is exactly the same.

First time through was 12 hours game play, 2nd was 10 and 3rd was 9. We killed everything and did every little side quest (there aren't that many).

There is also a 15 minute timed bonus level that you play with a "secret" character (Drizzt) that you can't play with any other character (too bad as a ranger or wizard would probably be better for that level).

It's a fun game, but it is not one I would buy since it doesn't have much in replay at all. You can get 30-40 hours out of probably and that is about it. A true renter or $10 bargain/used bin.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Well after u find alot of stuff in the tower u can always start new game and import the character you completed the game with.ypu can then sell the items and if u keep playign the game your character will eventually become lvl 40 . in my opinion its a great game because even if i takes u 5 hours to complete with each char, do the gauntlet and then play all the chars again in extreme mode it will add up to alot of hours of fun. About it not requiering any startegy i dotn think thats true. You cant take on too mny monsters at a time and the best way to stay alive is to block, but the game wont do it for you.. you have to block yourself.

This was all my opinion . I dont want to start any arguments...

Edit: sry i make too many typos.
TwIsTeD

Last time I saw anything like that, . . .
. . . I flushed twice to make sure it couldn't get back.
Pete
X-Box doesn't seem to let you export unless you have a memory card. Most X-Box owners I know don't have the cards because that is what the HDD in the box is for.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.