The Dark Vader Varient
OK. So I made a barb I named him Dark_Fader. He is going to be a whirlwinder/leap attack (mostly for movement/getting in the first hit on bosses, but...) build. Swords.

First off, my end game equipment is probably going to be this:

Helm: Darksight Helm
Reason: Have you seen Darth Vader's helmet? This is the closest I could find...

Armor: Corpsemourne.
Reason: Yet again, have you seen him? The CE could be usefull, too.

Weapon: Doombringer/Better Rare with mod that makes it red (or a p ruby) and has lighting/fire damage on it.
Reason: It has to be red, like his lightsaber, and lightning/fire damage since it is supposed to be a lightsabre.

Gloves: I have no idea... maybe hellmouth?

Boots: No Clue...

Belts: Not sure, but Thundergods looks like it might work...

Not sure for the jewelry... more tommorrow.
You've created an imitation of a (specific) character. That's not a variant.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Hail Obi1.10Kenobi,

Lemming's right: that's no variant. Check my FAQ for a glossary; check RBD to find the Sith Variant, which can be adapted to play as Darth Vader (so you then have a variant imitation :D ).
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
[Edit: Corrected spelling.]

Fine then, My Darth Vader Adaptation. It was just that Sith Variant Adapted to fit the Theme of Being Darth Vader was too long. :P

Skill Setup!

Sword Mastery: Maxed. The reason... lets just call it Lightsaber Mastery.

Whirlwind: Maxed. This is the fastest he can attack with one weapon... And it looks like the right one...

Leap Attack: Not sure how many... I know he can jump, (knocks someone off a ledge, jumps down to get them...) but I don't know how many points it needs to be effective.

Beserk: Not sure how many. For PIs, and also for when someone runs away/kills his merc/other...

Increased Speed: 1-3... not sure of the exact number. Darth Vader walks fast... :)

Iron Skin: With the Force, he can see things coming before they happen, allowing him to make them miss.

Natural Resistance: 2-? He uses the force to shield himself.

War Cry: ?? He can use the force to make them confused...

Grim Ward: I don't know if I should use this... if I do; His foes are afraid of him in his dark armor and glowing lightsaber.

And obviously all prereqs.

What do you think of it? Could it work in Hell? Is there someone you want to add to make it more Darth Vader-like (since I haven't seen one of the originals in a while)?
Quote:What do you think of it? Could it work in Hell?

Gee. A maxxed Sword-Whirlwind barbarian with Berserk for PIs. He also has all the Masteries. I don't think it's ever been done! <_<

</snarky>

You have a style that you're applying an adaptation to. You need to dig deeper to establish something that could be considered a variant.

You have a cookie-cutter Whirly-barb that likes black stuff. Hurrah. Now then, how about some SERIOUS roleplaying limitations. One of the main reasons to attempt a variant is to establish a set of limitations that are extraneous to the actual game mechanics.

How about a brutish personality? This can range from either acting like a PITA in multiplayer (from Vader's superiority complex) to refusing to address any of the townfolk in any act (BELOW him in station). You could get alot of ideas to fulfill or feed from with the Sith or Dark Jedi variant, itself.

How about some personal "Quests"? "The Corruption of Luke Skywalker", "The Finding of the Imperial Death Star Plans", "The Emperor's Bday Present".

Flesh him out!

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
No whirlwind...
Use leap instead of leap attack...he leaps after people but doesn't attack them.
Once you obtain Berserk, only use that skill for attacking. After all, Vader's fights are never terribly fast and L-saber do no physical damage

running...have you EVER seen vader run?
no increased speed....
he walks fast, but not THAT fast....the wal animation is way too fast, vader has a "tough" pace, not speedy.

Should use a buckler soceted with runes to increase blocking. This would show his ability to block blaster bolts, but big sheilds would ruin he vader look.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I think the character would look really close to vader. Does corpsemourn appear black on the character? If not, I would go with Natalya's armor intead. Variant? no. But just looking like vader would be really fun. Too bad there is no parry skill/effect though, I have always wanted something like that.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Rockfleece is black too and has useful mods.

Nat's Helm would be buy far the best choice, even though it's not a "mask."
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Hail Nico,

You're quite right: this character could be made a lot more than a stock-Barbarian in black. Roleplay him: how fun would that be? That small addition fleshes out the character a lot more, and makes games more enjoyable...

*Mercenary dies*
"You have failed me for the last time, Jarulf!"

"Come on Darth, lets do a quick Cow Run!"
"You cannot understand the power of the Dark Side of the Force. I must avoid cheep games: I must!"
(actually, as the Dark Side is more seductive, you probably should be attracted to cheep games, but still)

*kills Baal*
"Apology accepted!"

etc...

Good fun :) Almost as fun as some of the variants I have a tendancy to remake a lot - wheecht!
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I'd suggest cruising for items with charges of mind blast or telekenesis, or something else that you can use to represent the power of the dark side striking from afar. I have no idea if such things are even availble, but I'd like to see a series of screenshots of this char mind blasting Baal until he chokes his guts onto the floor.

Aside from this, I recomend the 30 second short on atom films called Darkside/switch. An interesting quickie that really makes you realize why the dark side can make your daily routine a little easier...
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Right, the Variant. Well, let's look at the Skills he would NOT use

Find Item, Find Potion, Grim Ward. He scares folks by his own bad self, not by using Voodo. The force uses him as a focus.

Battle Command: No, his troops are scared sh**less by him, so he can't inspire them to greatness.

Warcry: Nope again, he is quiet and lethal.

Battle Orders: Hmmmm . . . I don't see it, but the Force does multiply his abilities so that he is rather awesome. Thus, he can use BO, but NOT to help the party or other troops. In Short, he's not a great team player.

Taunt: Maybe. He knows how to talk smack and get folks all upset.

Howl. No, he scares people just because he is BAD!

Shout: Yes, he can use the Force to make his armor better.

Masteries: Sword. Of course.
Increased Stamina? Nope.
Increased Speed? Nope. He does not need to walk very fast. He is just BADARSE!!!
Stone Skin: Hmm, uses the force to deflect blows, like the little picture. OK, I can see it.
Natural Resistance: Hmm, uses the Force to overcome elemental damage. OK, I can see it.

Combat Skills:

Bash. Uh, I suppose so. He knocks people around pretty well when he gets his dander up.
Stun. Ditto. He has a hell of an effect on folks.
Leap: Yes.
Leap Attack: uh, he already has Leap, the Force will take care of him.
Double Throw, Swing, Frenzy: Uh, he only uses one light saber, and that is all he needs. Questions?
Concentrate: absolutely. He is able to focus the force when in combat. No one can interrupt him. :)
Whirlwind: UH, I have a hard time with that one. It was YODA who did Whirlwind in Attack of the Clones . . . so, where does Vader do that? Does he want to lose another arm due to a careless attack?
Berserk: Well, Let's see. He uses the Force to convert damage to the most painful . . . OK.

Now, as for the Look

Consider a Grim Helm, or some such headgear, Three or Two sockets, with Pskulls. His Force is strong, it constantly draws on it and gains strength.

Interesting ideas, maybe a six socketed Sword of some sort with Perfect Rubies. That should show up as red. :)

OK, there we go, a few other ideas.

Oh, and for his Paduan Learner, I suppose it has to be an Act V Sword dude: Gotta teach him in the way of the Light Saber.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Taunt: Maybe. He knows how to talk smack and get folks all upset

"Ahhhhh, so you have a twin sister..... If you will not turn to the dark side of the force, then perhaps she will."

(Luke rages and "attacks recklessly")

Taunt at it's best.

EDIT: Aggghhhhh!!! I quoted Vader wrong, damn me!
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I think a necromancer could fit this role (sending lots of weak troops to die, that whole "evil" thing). A barbrian doesn't seem to sound evil enough. Uhh, the whole evil empire job requires he has more than one stormtrooper. :P Plus he looks cool in black. Plus he creates "terror" But I'm biased. :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Right, seletons would be PERFECT!!! they are white, there are a lot of them, and theycan't kill a thing!
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
So I was a little tired when I thought up his skill section... :unsure:

I have also decided that I like that equipment set-up (not exactly complete, though, is it?) but a necromancer would indeed be a better choice.

However, he will be a mellemancer using the undead, neither of which I have done, so I need some help here... :wacko: (Yes, you heard me right, although necros are my favorite chars, I have never used the undead...)