A question of ethics in MMORPGs
>It's philosophy 101 not PhD thesis. If it's anything like NZ I doubt tyou'd need to have more than one reference source to get a decent mark...

>My final project for my computer science class is a presentation on the subject of the student’s choice that reflects all the skills learned in class.

Unless I missed a change in direction somewhere, I thought it was for the computer class. Or did you mean basic ethics issues in the presentation? Speaking of getting decent marks in other places though, most of my assignments in college required more than one reference source. Unless it's something like an interview. Obviously YMMV.
I have a friend who met, and fell in love with his wife on Prodigy. After a year on-line together and talking over the phone, they finally met in real life. They got married within a few months after that.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hammer, I made a comment about how the moral ethics thing I did for Comp Sci 101 (or tried to do--you'll find out about that a bit later) is like what the Philosophy 101 students do. We pick current topics and debate the ethics in and around and about them. But while I'm slaving away at a PowerPoint document, the lucky Philosophy 101 girls get to sit out on Front Quad and relate ethics to dead white guys and the latest party in NEFA. I think we all got a little confused there. (Posting late + caffeine = :blink: )

My presentation was turning out better. I narrowed my focus: ethics on Battle.net. Not only did this let me dip into my extensive screenshot archive, but it also let me play D1 and D2 for school purposes! :D I also snagged an interview with a couple of philosophy and sociology professors on campus, read a book on virtual ethics, and researched old posts on numerous fora.

My two main points after I got done with a synopsis of Battle.net, D1, and D2: personal freedoms and item selling. Had a section each on Battle.net censoring, cheat programs, and behavior, with a page describing each, screenshots to back it up, and quotes to back it up even further. Next was describing item selling, and comparing the price of a $100 "uber" account selling on eBay to a discounted pair of trendy jeans from a popular store (Macy's?). I went on to pick apart that "uber" account, to try and make the stupidity clear even to the most bubbleheaded among us. (That would be Erica, and she's a sweet, pretty, loving, caring, bubblehead.)

I ended it all with a photo montage ending with Bolty's wonderful quote. It was that photo montage that killed me. Well, the presentation, anyway. And with a little help from KaZaA.

Somehow, a program got into the campus system through KaZaA (or some filesharing program like it) that gives our server so many hits that it collapses. (I can pursue specifics if people want them.) I tried to save my presentation, and the server went down the sh*tter. Two hours later, I managed to wrench about a third of it back from the hungry server.

That was my breaking point. Fortunately, my Comp Sci teacher used to be a kindergarten teacher. And what do you do for a crying child? Give her cookies and juice, bump the deadline, and say everything's going to be all okay.

So I spent 30 minutes giving this. This PowerPoint presentation was never meant to see the light of day. It was an exercise from February to demonstrate that we had the mad PP skillz. It has a few missing images and sounds, but the fly-ins are perfect. All glory to the Legion of Greiz!

So now the priorities deck has been reshuffled: theater history paper, roman history paper, US Lit project, Comp Sci project. ArtsFest is over and done with (made 80 bucks! Woohoo!), and in five days, so will everything else.

Pant.

(How do I get on, WhyBish? Quite all right, now that I've vented my spleen. :D)

Can you make friends/love someone you never phyically meet? (I suppose its like penfriends)

Y'all've known my boyfriend longer than y'all've known me. :D

Are inter-game reputations important? How can you get reputation permanence online?

I'll draw an example from the vampirism community. There's a <s>jackass</s> pseudointellectual invading the popular online communities with his drivel. He doesn't seem to give a damn about anything except a) his opinion and B ) telling people where to shove it when others express their opinions about his opinions. I may not be big on the whole fang-and-bodice scene, but he's gotten quite a reputation since he popped up around late January. I've been around for about six years now, and I'm just a faint ripple on the pond. Reputation? It all depends on how hard you splash and who noticies the disturbance.

How can you achieve online discrimination (i.e. summing up a players expected behaviours at a glance. E.G. seeing an amazon with a pike at a level 9 W.P. leads you to certain assumptions. Characters with certain names lead you to certain assumptions etc.)? Is discrimination a bad thing (online)?

The one that springs to mind is the expectations of female gamers. (That should have been my topic!) Women on Battle.net fall into three stereotypes: prepubescents and young teens with overt sexual overtones, bra-burning and barnstorming bitches like myself, and males pretending to be either one. Of course, everyone knows that as soon as I load up Pirengle(BNM), DrVonGoosewing, or FutaeNoKiwami on Battle.net, my female genitalia just shrivel up and disappear! (Or maybe I just trade them with Occhi when he plays an Amazon character...)

Is lying in game like lying in real life?

Situational, same as real life.

(The assumption of almost everyone I met on BNET (as most other online places) once I typed a few English sentences was that I was a male from the North American continent.)

Yet another project topic: diversity online. If it wasn't for Battle.net, I would have still been very Americentric. Something about meeting people from all over the world that frees your mind.

How do people percieve other online personas?

--Thought Occhi was female.
--I know I've been told several times by several different people, but I'm still not sure of Nystul's gender. I think I'm going with "human being," although "sentient entity" has a nice but coldly scientific ring to it.
--Switched Pete and Kasreyn's ages.
--Thought Roland was twice as old.
--Thought Griselda was another gender-swapping roleplayer like Occhi. (Oops!) (Not like there's anything wrong with gender-swapping; I dress up like a young gay anime rock star and attend conventions. :D)
--Seems that everyone who posts is either 3 years above or below my own age until they say otherwise. Never knew Yrrek was ~16. My guess? 25. Damn, y'all can type

Since I have been required to fill out 'ethnic' information on official forms, which became very common in the past 5-10 years, I decided to conduct a silent protest: I always check "Other" or write in "American."

I've crossed it out since my very first Hollins application. If I can't cross it out, I fill it in the "other" option with something smartass. Homo sapiens tops the list, followed by human, Melungeon, and Jewish as a last resort.

I am anti- affirmative action in the present. It had its place back when it was needed, but integration is no longer happening at gunpoint. I got to Hollins on merit, not because of my skin color, my religion, or my income. I can write. Being white, Jewish, and upper middle class has nothing to do with that. Giving scholarships to people just because they happen to belong to some minority group does nothing in the long run. Sure, one lucky kid gets a decent education. Why not take that money and fund better schooling at the primary level so there won't be a need for affirmative action at all? Everyone gets good schooling, no matter what.

(This strikes close to home because one of President Bell's proposed "reforms" is an affirmative action policy.)

These questions let polictical parties save tons of money by ignoring select large demographic groups.

American politics = sh*t

That's my (irrational) story and I'm stickin' to it.

The common question, when getting to know someone, especially in a country/city with such a high proportion of immigrants, is "What is your nationality?" or "What is your background?".

I've always wanted to state that in roleplaying terms.

"I'm a level 20 cleric of Lathander. I can explode liches. I have a nifty ring that adds a bonus to my strength. My armor is made from dragon scale. My helmet prevents me from being charmed. I carry Ashideena, my trusty warhammer +2, 1d8 with lightning damage. For the glory of Lathander!" *SWACK!*

(I sent my small CD wallet with all my gaming CDs in it back home today. Felt like the final episode of M*A*S*H. But I'm paying 20K to go here, and I should pass my exams, at least. ;))
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Quote:That was my breaking point. Fortunately, my Comp Sci teacher used to be a kindergarten teacher. And what do you do for a crying child? Give her cookies and juice, bump the deadline, and say everything's going to be all okay.

Awwww. ^_^;; Cute analogy. Mmm, cookies and juice (drool)...

Quote:Can you make friends/love someone you never phyically meet? (I suppose its like penfriends)

Oh, it's possible. This one sad fool I know has fallen for three different women online, but he doesn't mind. ;-)

Quote:Women on Battle.net fall into three stereotypes: prepubescents and young teens with overt sexual overtones, bra-burning and barnstorming bitches like myself, and males pretending to be either one.

Missed one, Ducky: Guys playing female character classes (thanks for not giving us those confusing gender options, Blizz!) who get hit on or slurred by little boys who still haven't gotten out of the "girls are icky" stage. =P

Quote:--Thought Occhi was female.
Yeah, me too. He's too damn good a roleplayer if you ask me. ^_^ But then, I remember fondly the old tales posted by the Rogue with a Heart. I'm just wondering if anyone else remembers a certain Paladin who adopted the title "Embarassed" after accidentally hitting on Occhi? ^_^ Or "Flaming Peking Duck?" Good times, good times...
Quote:--I know I've been told several times by several different people, but I'm still not sure of Nystul's gender. I think I'm going with "human being," although "sentient entity" has a nice but coldly scientific ring to it.
Nys has been a mystery to me too, but in a different way: pronunciation! People have told me it's "NICE-tull", but I've pronounced it (to myself) "NISS-tle" (rhymes with Mistle) that I just can't seem to change. =P
Quote:--Switched Pete and Kasreyn's ages.
ROFL! I am so hurt. ^_^ Do I seem that much a fuddy-duddy? J/K, no offense meant there, Pete. ^_^ Now, Ducky, I knew you thought I was older than I am, most do online, but how could you think Pete was as young as me? O_O That's practically an insult! =P

As to the nationality/race question, I usually refuse to be any more specific than "human being, resident of Terra".

Quote:I sent my small CD wallet with all my gaming CDs in it back home today.

Good lord, is that wise? You might go into cardiac arrest from BG2 deprivation. Call 911! =P

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Hi,

"Know yourself" and "Face reality".

Do I seem that much a fuddy-duddy? J/K, no offense meant there, Pete.

And none taken :) I know me: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...p=8592&linear=0 Just too lazy to change (or maybe it's that "old dog" thing ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Occhidiangela,May 3 2003, 05:22 AM Wrote:I always check "Other" or write in "American."
Mmm, I would do that, but I have been told it is illegal to do so. I really should check that up.
I have always pronounced it like 'NICEtull'. But since unfortunately I have not chosen an original handle, it is quite possible that I do not pronounce my name correctly. It seems like this came up at Jim's, and I did some research, and I don't remember what my conclusion was. A few Tower regs used to greet me with "Nice Stool!" too.

As for the gender controversy, I assure you all that my gender has not changed since the last time this came up (nor had it changed prior)! I'm not sure why I would cause anyone confusion in that regard. The people who always had me guessing were the rogue players: Thecla, Varaya, Cyrene, Cathrin, Tanja, Calisia Valette, Occhi, and on down the line. Like the other two classes, the odds of a rogue player being female have never been good. Unlike the other two classes, you can't use the "just staying in character" excuse for referring to a rogue player as "he" incorrectly.