Non-existant Waypoint?
My wife had a weird game today.

It started out fine, I suppose. Then she beckoned me over. I had a looksie.

My wife explained (and demonstrated) the oddity. The Glacial Trail had no Waypoint. Her attempts to use the Waypoint to land in Glacial Trail resulted in her landing in a specific spot (within the GT, but not near a WP [there WAS NO wp]) .

She kept landing a few yards away from the gate to the Drifter Cavern. Every time. But NOT on a WP.

I scrolled her map around forever, looking for the WP. I couldn't find it. THERE WAS NO WP!

My wife knew it was odd, so she scoured the GT. I had a look after. Neither of us could find it.

It was most definitely a level without a Waypoint..

=DeeBye
Heh. I had one of those about a week or two ago in Nightmare Glacial Trail(DSF). :huh: All the more frustrating in this case because I had not yet acquired the Glacial Trail WP and had mapped out the entire level trying to find it. Others have witnessed the anomaly before too and AFAIK it only happens in the Glacial Trail, although I'd half expect to read from someone claiming that it also occurs in Ancients Way or the Crystalline Passage.

Did you get screenies? B)
I did. :P
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Quote:Did you get screenies?

nah.

I saw it, and my wife saw it. That's good enough for me.

=DeeBye
DeeBye,Apr 18 2003, 08:04 PM Wrote:I saw it, and my wife saw it.  That's good enough for me.
Woah. :huh: That sounds exactly like something George Bush would say. :lol:

Seriously though, I always like to 'have proof' ready for those odd occasions when the nay-sayers decide to start babbling rubbish like Sanctuary physical damage actually being "special magical damage that effects only undead", or circlets can improve your gambling chances, etc.

This map bug is one bound to generate a "you would have seen it had you looked properly", whereupon I get to fish out the screenie and say, "yeah?" ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
As in, the game forgot to make the waypoint. :)

*ducks*
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
maybe.....it tried and spawned it too close to "Drifter cavern" resulting in some kind of error with the graphics....(hence you're able to use it to go down.....because it has a location, but it has no ability to actually spawn there) - kinda like casting bone prisons to a certain extent (when they reach a point you'll hear the spell go off, but none will appear because there is no room within their spawn area to appear).

IE - Drifter Cavern location = Waypoint location - drifter cavern has last spawn occurance, thus appearing in priority over waypoint. (waypoint taken, level generates - waypoint, area, stairs - not 100% sure on the order, but it could explain it if it is that way....)

Oh.....and thought I'd add since there's a discussion about level oddities......if you remember the old River of Flame bug (lava walking) - you might be interested that it still occurs occassionally in maggot lair occassionally (although they fixed it in river and arcane from what I can tell anymore......- saw the maggot one a month or two ago while rushing a friend lol.....i love those bugs....gives you a real sense of interacting with the well.....environment :D)
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
I've been hitting a ton of "black spots" you can teleport into in the tombs in act 2, if I get a yahoo site runnign I'll post a screenie of my friend and I dropping a bunch of potions into the black 2x2 void
-Saga_Keeper