Racism on the realms
Has anyone else noticed how racist many people on the realms are? I cannot go an hour without hearing "nigger" or some other ignorant remark. It is insane that blizzard allows these people to play. BTW Aloha my name is Dustin or LayZD, I have been reading posted a couple times but I had to reregister so I'm saying hi again.
Layzdhc
Current project: Werebear (lvl 50)
Future projects: TMNT!!
This has been discussed all the time since day one... and the majority of people in b.net are not racist, or utter idiots or the such, it's just the loud minority which makes it look like everyone's an idiot...
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
:(
Thank god for the squelch button. There are also logic immune.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
yeah racisim is a problem. I cry when people are rasist towards my Necro. I mean all he does is like dead bodies. nothing wrong with that. jeez.

jjk

but I find the squelch button is godly against racists and other spamers.
One Spark Lit the Sky on Fire
[Image: bugzap.gif]
One guy gave me an item and then asked if I was Korean and said he hates Koreans. Another time, I have a guy named Mase_Hindu (spoof of Mace Windu) and some guy started calling me a Hindu *explitive deleted*. :blink:
I have yet to understand why practically everyone I've seen on B.net has put down Koreans.
Quote:I am hard but I am fair! There is no racial biggotry here. I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless!

Ok posting this quote was retarded but it was a damn good movie.

Now more on topic, It's readily obvious tht people will have the balls to say things they never would when you don't need to look the person in the face.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Welcome, LayZD! (I thought for a moment that we had another Lav.)

Yes, there is an embarrassing amount of racism expressed on the realms, or at least on USEast. I assume it is no different on the other realms. I may be naively optimistic, but worldwide communities like battle.net provide a wonderous opportunity to break down barriers of prejudice.

The thread started a while back by AtomicKitKat

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...ct=ST&f=2&t=329

demonstrated what a variety of countries are represented on the lounge. Although I don't recall seeing any contributions from Africa or the Middle East. A thread like that is probably representative, though it excludes people that don't have access to a computer, a copy of Diablo, or food.

On the realms I have also noticed instances of sexism and homophobia.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:On the realms I have also noticed instances of sexism and homophobia.

There's been several examples of that on the Lounge itself within the last month. :angry:

Of course, the community could always do something about that...

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
The Realms are a place where some people act without the usual social inhibitions of person to person contact. . . just like the rest of the on-line world.

The game appeals to a wide audience. Some of that audience choose to break a social norm and spout racial epithets, or if they are youngsters from 'the hood' talk to one another the same way they do on the street. More likely, those adopting the 'role' are less likely to be street guys than idiots from other walks of life.

You simply don't know who is on the other end of the keyboard.

How you address that is simple:

1. Ignore it
2. Take them to task with typed chiding (yeah, works about 0 times out of 10)
3. Hit squelch
4. Quit playing on Realms
5. Grow a thicker skin
6. Go hostile and attack every person who says rude things on bnet, some of which are ethnic slurs, some of which are assaults on sexual orientation, some of which are on assumed degrees of noobness.
7-10. Ideas for others to suggest.

My point? This is the Lounge, not the Guardianship of The Realms. If you don't like the trash talk on the Realms, ONLY YOU can do anything about it, as regards it influence on your gaming experience.

So, do something about it, do what you can, to lessen its intrusion into your gaming fun

Whining won't stop it, least of all here.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Personally, I think it's all those damn koreans.

Haha, just joking. Seriously, BNet is a free to play service with no requirements to log on -- no filtering = you get trash sometimes. Just /squelch those people and move on. NEVER get upset about what some anonymous loser says online because, frankly, who gives a flying f**k what they think.
nt
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
The filth that runs through the chat lines is depressing enough.
What about some of the character names?
Sexual, racial, drug, and other themes are rampant.
I've seen some really creative and funny things but some are just crude.

On the other hand,
I have met some really nice people on Bnet and hope any new players don't
come away with the wrong impression of the on line crowd as a whole.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
i'm not a racist but i have to admite it gets one my nerves when i go into a trade game and put a soj on the trade screen and see nothing but junk on theres. leave the trade screen. and have them chase me around the screen trying to get back into a trade with me and saying "me get ring" or some some thing like that. nothing against any one group but plz don't try to trade with me if u speak english and a second languang and don't speak it very well.
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same!

This is a preamptive apology for any spelling errors, typos, bad grammer, and use of b.net short hand typing that u may find in my post and possibly in this signature.
Sorry.
Almost every racist comment I have heard during my lifetime has been prefaced by "I'm not a racist, but..."

If you find yourself beginning sentences in that way, I ask that you take some more time to reconsider your position. You are entitled to your opinion, but I will say that negative comments about particular ethnic groups are not acceptable here at the Lounge. That policy is not open for discussion.

At this forum, there are plenty of native English speakers, and plenty of people for whom English is a second (or third, etc) language. However, one thing that almost all Lurkers have in common is a strong dislike for "chatroom" type speech on the forums. We avoid such things as "u" for "you", for example.

Also, this type of writing can make it hard for others to understand you. For example, I could only guess at the meaning of your last sentence-

Quote:nothing against any one group but plz don't try to trade with me if u speak english and a second languang and don't speak it very well.

Hmm, English is my native language, and, although I try my best, I don't speak Spanish very well. Your sentence, as written, states that you don't want to trade with me for that reason, although I'm pretty sure we both know that's not what you meant.

Please keep this in mind when you post here. Our standards may be different from those you're used to on other parts of the 'net.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete