Bolty, can you add counter-spam measures?
I'm sure I enjoy my dose of pron just like everybody else <_< however I think it's been getting out of hand. Here's some suggestions I think might help:

1) Security measure to become a member including one of those TYPE THE LETTERS YOU SEE IN THE BOX featured on most websites now. Let me elaborate because I think this one would stop 99% of the spam bots: the box has letters and numbers between 4-8 characters layed out in a way a bot cannot read them, and there is a blank box next to this text. The user must type in what they see correctly before they can become a member. This lets you know that only real people are logging in to become members.

2) A 2-week "grace" period before users can post. If you did #1, this would ensure the person really wanted to post before allowing them too, thus preventing all but the most malicious intentions.

3) I've seen this on quite a few forums, but don't know if it would really help the spam problem: a 10-20 post requirement before you can start your own threads.

If the first two, or all three were implemented, I'm sure spam in these forums would completely stop.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:1) Security measure to become a member including one of those TYPE THE LETTERS YOU SEE IN THE BOX featured on most websites now. Let me elaborate because I think this one would stop 99% of the spam bots: the box has letters and numbers between 4-8 characters layed out in a way a bot cannot read them, and there is a blank box next to this text. The user must type in what they see correctly before they can become a member. This lets you know that only real people are logging in to become members.
This forum already has that feature, known as a captcha. It is easily defeatable by spambot programs. Even captchas from ubersites like Google Mail and Yahoo Mail get beaten.

Quote:2) A 2-week "grace" period before users can post. If you did #1, this would ensure the person really wanted to post before allowing them too, thus preventing all but the most malicious intentions.
It's my belief that such a grace period would kill the board. We'd get zero new users and without fresh blood, it would die a slow death.

Quote:3) I've seen this on quite a few forums, but don't know if it would really help the spam problem: a 10-20 post requirement before you can start your own threads.
I'm not sure how this would help. The spammers post routinely in current threads and rarely make their own new ones, because they are blocked from making new threads until they've posted in current ones.

The methods in place have actually cut out a good 90% of the spam. It was far worse before.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:It was far worse before.

Darn, guess I missed all the good stuff :lol:.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin