Does a shael in stormshield... (vlt.)
I traded my old um'd stormshield for a shael'd one because I felt like I was getting blocklocked constantly. However I found out recently that kite shields and tower shields have abnormal base blocking speeds? And since it is different for each character, I was wondering if getting this shael'd stormshield actually improved my block rate? or was a waste of time, in which case I would rather have one with a cham rune.

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
Stormshield has 35% FBR, which means it is at 2 frames with pala/amaz/assassin even without shael if tests done earlier are correct.

I thought that all the shield were tested to have same base block rate even though this of course might be old data. However before those test it was assumed that some shields had lower base rate, but it was proved wrong by Ruvanal and Karon if i remember correctly.

This is only my opinion, not necessarily the truth.

RF

These are tables Jurts made, he did not do all the work so lot of credit goes also to others
Quote:FBR A B C D   
00% 3 4 5 6
05% 3 4 5 6
10% 3 4 5 6
15% 3 4 5 6
20% 3 4 5 5
25% 3 3 4 5
30% 3 3 4 5
35% 2 3 4 5
40% 2 3 4 4
45% 2 3 4 4
50% 2 3 3 4
55% 2 3 3 4
60% 2 3 3 4
65% 2 3 3 4
70% 2 2 3 4
75% 2 2 3 3

A - Pal/Am/Asn
B - Barb
C - Sorc/WB/WW
D - DruHuman/Nec
This is wonderful information to have, I've copied it down. Thanks for passing it on and thanks to those who compiled it.

According to the table, if I give my sorceress Blackoak instead of Gerke's Sanctuary, she can get to a 3 frame block. (I only wish Blackoak had a chance of blocking anything.)

On the other hand, a shaeled Blackoak would give a barbarian a 2 frame block. One could probably build a character around that!

Much to think about. Does anyone know if the "chance to block" shown on the character screen is accurate?
...to reply to myself:

I thought that this seemed familiar. The first LL topic I participated in:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/cgi-bin/forum/...&forum=Workshop

Thanks twice, I guess, to those who compiled the data. As I said, I wrote it down this time.
I remember that thread in here, but i took the data for more familiar source for me (i have been Lurking in her only, my old account died because of inactivity or some server change in here, i guess it was when site was down for while). Link in those posts is the site where it from.

About your other thoughts about gear choises. If you are talking about blocking in PvM, i would go for higher block even it would be slightly slower. If anything i might raise some def for getting def taking care of some misses time to time.

If talking about PvP then i just shut up :).

And that is only my opinion, not necessarily the truth.

RF
The only ears I have are from D1, and those were quite unintentional. Much more realistic game, that was! I only do PvM.

This is my first and only melee sorceress, so I don't yet have a feel for a lot of things. I am trying to get her hit recovery time faster (she currently wears Atma's Wail). Blackoak has a lot higher def than Gerke's -- 331 (for mine), compared with 234. I actually remembered it as being more of a difference than that.

She is 52, and she has a while to go before she can carry Blackoak. My plan is not to worry about resists on the shield but to get resists from elsewhere. I'd be interested in shield recommendations, but I should add I don't have a Stormshield. I think I have all the others that are not not paladin specific. (I once had a vortex shield but sold it as I did not realize at the time how rare it was.)
OK.. now i understand better.

My melee sorc uses nuique crossbow with explosive bolts (i will remember it as soon as i post this)/Lightsaber with Tiamat's shield. I do play more as ranger than melee (so this is semimelee, more like bowasorc).

I am mostly thinking that offense is best defense, so i do not care that much on melee sorc about block rate, i am more concerned about exploiting the lightning/fire masteries and elemental damage from items thing.

However there are probably better responsies in other threads.

RF
Demon Machine may be the one you are thinking of?

At the time I built this sorceress (or rather rebuilt her, since I deleted a former sorceress to reuse her name) I did not know about masteries with elemental damage weapons. There is still time that I could give her lightning mastery, but this would be a different build than what I have in mind: maxed enchant/fire mastery/hydra. Hydra are minions, and therefore do not violate the idea of a no energy melee sorceress, in my opinion. Her weapon is currently an honor naga, but when she gets old enough I plan to let her borrow my barbarian's silence berserker axe.

I have a shocking demon crossbow of thunder that would be neat with maxed lightning mastery, though!

One thing I'm not at all sure about is whether mastery with elemental weapons is a feature or a bug. The effect of the mastery does not show up in the character screen. I don't think it's cheating by any means, but I wonder if it will be "fixed" in 1.10?