It's Oscar Night
War war war...haven't we had enough of war.
It's Oscar night, time to be superficial.

Will Marty finally get an oscar for a movie that's far from his strongest?
Will LotR fans voice their outrage as the Motion Picture Academy again teats the movie as it should be, as a humbug fantasy action movie?
Will a manipulative jewish tragedy movie again take the price from genuine artist like Kaurismaki?
Will Martin Sheen announce he has changed his name to Jed Bartlett and intends to run for presidency?
Will Miramax get all the statues?

All this and more, tonight. It's Oscar night. ;)
....Nah. ;)

Actually, we'll see.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
If I was told I had to watch either an awards show or something totally asinine like Spongebob Squarepants, I would have this reply---

Jellyfishing ! Jellyfishing ! Jellyfishing ! etc.............
cheezz
"I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it."-Dogbert

"The truth is always greater that the words we use to describe it."

[Image: fun.jpg]
Well well, Marty did get the short stick again, the manipulative jewish tragedy movie stole the prize from better films, the worst film won the most (Chicago), and Michael Moore pretty much gave Bush the finger.
So it was business as usual. Great filmmakers get spat upon, bad films win, and there was a hot political issue/scandal. Ah and couple of the winners cried too. ;)
Can't wait for next year. :)

One more thing. They IMO really screwd twice when announcing the winner. Especially announcing the winner is Cathy (Catherine Zeta-Jones-Douglas), when there is a Kathy Bates nominated...bad taste.

ps. Eminem has now won a prize from I guess every institution a US pop-musician can get them from?
At least Spirited Away won for best animated feature. :)

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,Mar 24 2003, 06:48 AM Wrote:At least Spirited Away won for best animated feature. :)

-Griselda
Well yeah, though I actually happen to love Stitch. ;)
Same here. I must confess that I had only seen two of the films in the Best Animated Feature category (Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet), so I'm not really sure whether Spirited Away deserved to win or not, but I'm at least thankful that it was a 2D feature that won, showing perhaps that the medium is not as dead as the studio executives would like to make out.
I predicted that Michael Moore would be booed on stage :)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Really?

"We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons. Whether it is the fiction of duct tape or the fiction of orange alerts, we are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush!"

Hmmm, I would expect that sort of line to induce a few grins, some murmers, maybe some sniggering capped off by a very brief round of applause. Hardly much of a reaction inducing statement really, yet played up by the media like it was some sort of coup. :blink:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I am free to think that he is a self important buffoon. However, he is not the first self important buffoon to win an award, so it is only fitting that he take his opportunity to use the bully pulpit of the award stand to speak his piece.

When he makes assertions that he probbly can't back up, about "fictious reasons" then I suppose we shall just let time wound this heel. :)

I remember Jane Fonda: Moore is a small fish compared to that large mouthed bASS.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
He just makes himself heard. ;)

Quote:One more thing. They IMO really screwd twice when announcing the winner. Especially announcing the winner is Cathy (Catherine Zeta-Jones-Douglas), when there is a Kathy Bates nominated...bad taste.

He said "Catherine", actually. Considering the history of those two, it wasn't really out of place... and typical of Mr. Connery.

Certainly not as out of place as Jack Nicholson talking out of his ass a few years ago, neh?

My main itch of the night was with Steve Martin... who can certainly start a good joke. He just has no friggin' idea of when to stop. 35 years in the business, and he still can't figure out that the punchline is the stopping point.

Michael Moore... well, whatever. Michael likes to stir the pot. What I'd LIKE to know was who was doing the vocal objections to his speech at the time.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nitefox,Mar 24 2003, 11:32 AM Wrote:I predicted that Michael Moore would be booed on stage :)
Well, yes. Here's how it went. He got the aawrd, to great applause. Went to stage, people applauding strongly, majority (estimate) of the theater rises to their feet. He gives the speech, get's couple objections mixed with some applause.
The objections came immediately following the line "fictitious president".
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Mar 24 2003, 05:05 PM Wrote:He said "Catherine", actually.  Considering the history of those two, it wasn't really out of place... and typical of Mr. Connery.
It's possible I misheard, thrice, but it sure sounded like ~kethee~ not ~kethren~ to me.
Camera snapped to Zeta-Jones quickly enough. :D
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Mar 24 2003, 07:40 PM Wrote:Camera snapped to Zeta-Jones quickly enough.  :D
Ah, but I'm thinking of poor Kathy Bates. Imagine how it feels to hear your name, but not win.