D1 MPQ Content
I just restarted to fiddle with the Diablo 1 mpq files and found lots of nice stuff so far (for example: audio clips from quests that did not make it into the game) but what I just can not find are the texts from the various speeches, narrator books etc. are these somewhere in the mpq archives or do i have to look elsewhere?

Hope someone can help me out and enlighten me :-)
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
D-Dave,Mar 22 2003, 10: Wrote:I just restarted to fiddle with the Diablo 1 mpq files and found lots of nice stuff so far (for example: audio clips from quests that did not make it into the game) but what I just can not find are the texts from the various speeches, narrator books etc. are these somewhere in the mpq archives or do i have to look elsewhere?

Hope someone can help me out and enlighten me :-)
If I remember correctly they are found inside the actual exe file of the game.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
He he, I think we'll have to paste your picture next to the word reliable in the dictionary ;)
Thanks a lot for the info...seems I have to take my hexeditor for a nightly spin :ph34r:
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Hehe, seems I wasn't the only one who was also looking at the MPQ on the disc :)

You can dig interesting things on the fille at your HD like this:

I can see that it is a map of the stars in our sky, but any more than that is beyond my talents.

Also, unused unique bosses....

WebwidowFleshdancerGrimspikeDoomlock

I have no clue tough how to visualize the .bmps and reproduce the .wavs.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
The actual text of the audio clips exists in the exe. Only the audio files are in the MPQ. :)

If you're curious about stuff that didn't make it in, however, I'd recommend:
http://geocities.com/lemmingofglory/removed.html

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Lets see. . .take Grimspike and Doomlock, combine them, and you have.. .Grimlock! Yay Dinobots!
[Image: NewSig.png]
Release your inner dwarf. . .then get him some ale.
WoW Characters:
-Stormrage: Espy, Cafelam, RareCross, EspyLacopa
Probably this isn't related too much, but I messed around with the MPQ as well..

I changed some of the sounds.. in place of Tristram music, I switched it to the Rouge Encampment from D2, which sounds much much more fit with the game theme IMO. :P . And the hell music to the music that plays in the outer steppes! It REALLY fits in dlvl 13-15, unlike that strange garbling one that plays as original. I'm still trying to find one for the caves, though. I used the caves in D2 for dlvl 1-4, which fits quite nice as well!

I'm also thinking of some other minor things to modify.. but can't quite think of them for now.
Blasphemer!!!!

That music is my favorite part of the whole game. Well...

glances at his avatar

...second favorite. :)

I never gave two spits about D2's music. To each his own, I suppose.

You can change the music that plays in the different parts of the game? :blink: What is to stop you from changing the graphics, then? :mellow: That would be cool, I could make mages look more interesting in plate! :D and (newbish question here...) what's a hex editor? My guess is it is what you use to edit the mpq's.
I knew it! You actually bothered to read this signiture!
You can change the music that plays in the different parts of the game?

If you know what you're doing, yes.

What is to stop you from changing the graphics, then?

Depends on the graphics you want to change and how you want to change them.

and (newbish question here...) what's a hex editor? My guess is it is what you use to edit the mpq's.

MPQ editors are a bit different from hex editors. Think of MPQs as gigantic ZIP files. Blizz uses MPQs to bundle their data all in one file. This minimizes the number of "loose" files sitting around on the hard drive (or on the CD). So, a MPQ viewer/editor is a program specifically designed to peek into (and sometimes alter) the files within a MPQ.

A hex editor is a whole different ballgame. They open files and display their hexidecimal innards. In D1 modding context, hex editors are normally used to edit the exe or dlls.

Aha!

So with a little luck you might manage to edit the .exe and .mpq files to use all the left-out quests and monsters?

-edit-

I recently ran DRead - and viewed Monsters.TXT - I recognized them all, save these:

Name Mlvl Appears Activated
Invisible Lord 14 8 no
Lord Sayter 12 7 no
Skeleton King 9 4 no *
The Butcher 1 1 no *
Wyrm 11 5 no
Cave Slug 13 6 no
Devil Wyrm 15 7 no
Devourer 17 8 no
Bone Demon 12 6 no
Red Death 16 8 no
Litch Demon 18 9 no
Undead Balrog 22 11 no
Incinerator 16 8 no
Flame Lord 18 9 no
Doom Fire 20 10 no
Hell Burner 22 11 no
Devil Kin Brute 24 11 no
Golem 12 1 no
The Dark Lord 30 26 no
The Arch-Litch Malignus 30 16 no

I was wondering, with all these new-fangled programs and editors you use, might it be possible to activate these to see what they are?

* - wrong level for appearance!

-second edit-

D'oh! LennyLen has a mod file that activates these monsters on dlvl 1. Already been done!
Eeerm... now that you're here talking about MPQ content, text files, etc... may I ask "two" silly questions?.

Where may I download that Dview that you seem to be using to read the MPQs?. Is this the only/best program to do this?. Will I be able to extract files, such as the MP3s? (I've wanted to listen to the music MP3 files in my WinAmp, more pacedly, for years...).

And also: English is not my mother tonge, but that is not much a problem with this game, because there are the texts when the NPCs speak, and the actors did an excellent work with the speeches. The sounds are quite clear for me, with two exceptions: whenever you try speak with Farnham (my personal favourite... excellent work) and Adria (note that there is no text for these speeches):

"Thank you... Farnham... give you... kiss?" (uuh... pardon, Farnham? :blink: )

"I sense a soul in search advances" (I BELIEVE Adria says this...)

I suppose this last question seems too much silly for this forum :unsure: (sorry) but the more I've tried to understand these two speeches (for years), the more they sound exactly like that to me (specially irritant for me, not being able to understand one of those Farnham phrases :( ).

Well, that's all... could you help?
Es fácil descender al infierno. De día o de noche, las puertas de la Muerte están abiertas de par en par; pero retornar, volver sobre tus pasos para llegar a la superficie... He aquí el auténtico desafío.

Virgilio, La Eneida
I can't help you with Farnham, but I DO know what Adria says - in my many hours of maging, this has been DRILLED into my SKULL so that I will hear it in my DREAMS when I'm 80!

"I sense a soul in search of answers."

As for reading programs, this one won't extract anything but data tables, but it DOES work well.

http://bloodoffold.netfirms.com/dread.htm

That site is LennyLen's site, and has a few other programs on it also - LICK determines if an enchanted item is legal, tells you what monster types drop it (normal and boss) and what the earliest level of the dungeon it can be found in is. GOod program, if you can get it to work.
Quote:Skeleton King 9 4 no *
The Butcher 1 1 no *
Golem 12 1 no
The Dark Lord 30 26 no
The Arch-Litch Malignus 30 16 no

Skeleton King and The Butcher are the base types of the bosses are based on. That is to say they exist both in the boss list AND in the monster list; the boss versions (which appear in-game) have to be based on *some* base type, after all.

Malignus was probably a boss of some sort that got left out. TDL is simply Diablo, and Golem is Golem.

The rest (those I didn't quote) are monster slots that have data associated with them but weren't used. (They're deactivated in the *.exe as well.) They actually present mucho fun modding possibilites since you don't have to delete any existing monsters to add more. Similarly, there's a quantity of bosses that're either wrong-dlvl or on a disabled base type.

Where may I download that Dview that you seem to be using to read the MPQs?. Is this the only/best program to do this?. Will I be able to extract files, such as the MP3s? (I've wanted to listen to the music MP3 files in my WinAmp, more pacedly, for years...).

1) DView doesn't read MPQs. It's a program Jarulf wrote that reads data in the *.exe and creates an output file of its findings. Great for getting info when playing a new mod (*.exe versions, anyway).

2) A variety of MPQ viewers are available. Some of them you can find at Phrozen Keep. Take your pick. I can't say one is better than any other:
http://d2mods.xfernet.com/filecenter/pafil...=category&id=13

3) The sound files in the MPQ are *.wav files, not MP3s. :p

"Thank you... Farnham... give you... kiss?" (uuh... pardon, Farnham? )

I don't see that Farnham says his name in any of his speeches. Does he say that in response to a specific quest, or is it random "gossip?"

LemmingofGlory,Mar 26 2003, 05:43 AM Wrote:Where may I download that Dview that you seem to be using to read the MPQs?. Is this the only/best program to do this?. Will I be able to extract files, such as the MP3s? (I've wanted to listen to the music MP3 files in my WinAmp, more pacedly, for years...).

1) DView doesn't read MPQs. It's a program Jarulf wrote that reads data in the *.exe and creates an output file of its findings. Great for getting info when playing a new mod (*.exe versions, anyway).

2) A variety of MPQ viewers are available. Some of them you can find at Phrozen Keep. Take your pick. I can't say one is better than any other:
http://d2mods.xfernet.com/filecenter/pafil...=category&id=13

3) The sound files in the MPQ are *.wav files, not MP3s. :P

"Thank you... Farnham... give you... kiss?" (uuh... pardon, Farnham?  )

I don't see that Farnham says his name in any of his speeches. Does he say that in response to a specific quest, or is it random "gossip?"

I always thought about making a program that extracted the tables fully into text/spread sheat files, just like the ones for D2. never got arround to it. Do people actually mod D1 still? Or mess arround with it?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Ok. Thanks a lot Geladrius and LemmingofGlory for those web pages. I'll try to download one of the utilities listed, and (hopefully) I'll be able to listen to those WAWs without having to start the game. Let's see if woks...

Quote:"I sense a soul in search of answers..."

So, after years of playing, this is what Adria was saying... yeah, makes sense. I should have asked before, uh! <_<. Thanks, Geladrius.

Quote:I don't see that Farnham says his name in any of his speeches. Does he say that in response to a specific quest, or is it random "gossip?"

No... no... LemmingofGlory, it's even easier than that (well, if english is your mother tonge): start a Diablo game, and approach to Farnham. Click on him (you don't even click in "Gossip" or in "Say goodbye"). What has he said?. Just that sort, introductory phrase he ALWAYS says, before you ask him for gossip or about the quests.

Jarulf, it's not that I'm interested in modding (but maybe others here are...), MUCH more simple: I'm just trying to understand what that Farnham says (don't know why, but this remembers me about Occam and "The name of the rose"...). Well, sorry about all this confusion I seem to have created.

Going out of topic: mmm... Jarulf, you have finally made a decision about your signature (and it fits you quite well, he he), I wonder what avatar will you choose... :)
Es fácil descender al infierno. De día o de noche, las puertas de la Muerte están abiertas de par en par; pero retornar, volver sobre tus pasos para llegar a la superficie... He aquí el auténtico desafío.

Virgilio, La Eneida
Yes, I remember this.

He means by when you click on Farnham, and before you click anything else and his menu pops up, he says something before you do anything..

After all my years playing, I cant figure out what it was too. It was something like "Have a something drinking something".
I don't think that ever happens - generally, it only occurs when a character is giving you a Quest. In my single-player experiences, I've never gotten a quest from Farnham... hmmm...
I believe Farnham says something along the lines of "Can't a guy drink in peace?"
[Image: NewSig.png]
Release your inner dwarf. . .then get him some ale.
WoW Characters:
-Stormrage: Espy, Cafelam, RareCross, EspyLacopa