Maxed Mana for Mages
According to Jarulf's guide, 1169 is tha max mana. Correct?

According to Jarulf's guide, (2 x base magic) + (1.5 x total item magic bonus) + (2 x character's level) + (1 x total item mana bonus) + 5 = mana. Correct?

I don't mean to disfigure Jarulf here, but with my calculations, max mana - with the right items - goes FAR BEYOND 1169. The first time I calculated it, with perfect +magic suffixes on all equipment and +60 mana on all jewls (Dragon's prefix), I got 1322.2 maxed mana. And that's not with Royal Circlet/thinking cap/ect. Am I out of my mind, misunderstanding the guide, or have I truely shamed myself with the utter sin of pointing out the dirt under the rug (jarulf's guide)?

:blink: --Gel
I knew it! You actually bothered to read this signiture!
It actually states that 1196 is the max mana.

Well, here goes:

naked clvl 50 mage with max magic = 596 mana
+120 from each jewel, = 360
+60 from royal circlet = 60
+30 from "brilliance" shield = 30
+110 from Dreamflange = 110
+40 from armour of sorcery = 40
So, 360+110+30+60+596+40 = 1196

This is legit Diablo Classic btw, not using hellfire items
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Hmmm. I was starting with the base stats of each item combined to fill in the formula. Makes sense, though - I might have done my math wrong. *pounds in head*
The Diablo Bible that is. :P

Jarulf's has one or two minor errors on the monk, I don't think he ever got around to fixing them.

It's still a real accomplishment though. :D
Don't get me wrong here, the Diablo Bible has put Jarulf's name (in ink!) on my mental Diablo Shrine of Glory. He ranks up there with the Rubber Chicken and Bean Dip band name idea (different mental shrine, yet ever so coveted a title.) :D I never intended to say that Jarulf was an english kenigget or that his father smelt of elderberries, if you know what I mean.
FoxBat,Mar 21 2003, 10:32 PM Wrote:The Diablo Bible that is.  :P

Jarulf's has one or two minor errors on the monk, I don't think he ever got around to fixing them.

It's still a real accomplishment though.  :D
Those max stat tables are notorious for having errors that I seem to never manage to fix for some reason. Don't know why. Yes, there are some values wrong there and I think I have got it noted for change somewere. IF anyone knows about which values are wrong, feel free to tell. To be honest it is not THAT easy to get it all right, hence why such discussions usually ends up with various people all geting different values :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Seems I'm in error, I was working from your 1.52 and not the 1.62. The shield speed finally got fixed. :D

It's not an error, but there may be a little confusion. Monks with a shield and no weapon in hand have base (Str + Dex) * Clvl / 300 damage. If you read "bare-handed" as having no shield, than it's OK, but some people may not read it that way, in part because the animations for a monk wielding a shield has him using his fist.

Yes, I do know how hard it is to get all this data correct, and I'm a lot worse at it. But In modding, when I screw up a data entry, half the time it causes people's game to crash. :rolleyes:

After dealing with this huuuge internal mess that is D2 myself, I completely understand why you never attempted any comprehensive guide for it. :P
>Seems I'm in error, I was working from your 1.52 and
>not the 1.62. The shield speed finally got fixed. :D

Yahy, I finally got arround to it I think. Forgot a few times indeed.

>It's not an error, but there may be a little confusion.
>Monks with a shield and no weapon in hand have base
>(Str + Dex) * Clvl / 300 damage. If you read "bare-
>handed" as having no shield, than it's OK, but some
>people may not read it that way, in part because the
>animations for a monk wielding a shield has him using
>his fist.

Yeah, bear-handed is supposed to be nothing at all in hands. At least in 1.62, one of the dotted remarks after the damgae formulas should make that clear. Always read those remarks :)

>After dealing with this huuuge internal mess that is D2
>myself, I completely understand why you never
>attempted any comprehensive guide for it. :P

The main problem with D2 is that it is not stable. That is, they change the game constantly meaning any guide would have to be constantly rewritten instead of just corrected and expanded. I think 1.10 will finally be a "stable" patch though in that there probably won't be that much more changes.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Mar 23 2003, 11:02 AM Wrote:I think 1.10 will finally be a "stable" patch though in that there probably won't be that much more changes.
I almost fell out of my chair when I read this.

If you truly believe that, Jarulf, you're gonna get floored. 1.10 is the most massive patch to date. To quote Bill Roper: "The only things we haven't changed are the Characters and the Acts."

I expect the modding community to be in an uproar for awhile after 1.10 is released, while they sort out how to mod again, and then sort out how to convert their 1.09 mods to 1.10. :P I know I'll be one of those people. God help me if it's excessively hard. Coder I am NOT. :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Mar 23 2003, 05:45 PM Wrote:I almost fell out of my chair when I read this.

If you truly believe that, Jarulf, you're gonna get floored. 1.10 is the most massive patch to date. To quote Bill Roper: "The only things we haven't changed are the Characters and the Acts."

I expect the modding community to be in an uproar for awhile after 1.10 is released, while they sort out how to mod again, and then sort out how to convert their 1.09 mods to 1.10. :P I know I'll be one of those people. God help me if it's excessively hard. Coder I am NOT. :P
You missunderstood me. "there probably won't be that much more changes" meant there won't be any more changes in LATER patches. "stable" referd to the future after the patch, not the patch itself.

I know 1.10 will make a lot of changes and moders will most likely be VERY happy with it since many of them actually make it FAR easier to mod. Many things will be moved from code to new or changed txt files for example. Feel free to pop in at Phrozen Keep for some updates :)
I wonder if Jarulf plays diablo still... if so, what is his bnet name/realm?
I wonder why nobody ever asks, "Does that guy who wrote the Prima Guide still play?" *g*

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Well I think it was a valid question.
I think mine was, too. :)

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
They probably got the impression that he'd never played at all. :lol:
LemmingofGlory,Mar 31 2003, 03:54 PM Wrote:I wonder why nobody ever asks, "Does that guy who wrote the Prima Guide still play?" *g*

I must have missed something... don't laugh too much on me guys, but... what's the point with the Prima Guide?, who wrote it?. I had never heard about it!.

EDIT: I have had a look at ten of that "Prima Guide" pages at Amazon. Now I do understand why nobody remembered about the guy who wrote it... no more comments...
Es fácil descender al infierno. De día o de noche, las puertas de la Muerte están abiertas de par en par; pero retornar, volver sobre tus pasos para llegar a la superficie... He aquí el auténtico desafío.

Virgilio, La Eneida
Yeah, I think he did alright ;)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Barsine,Apr 3 2003, 02:59 AM Wrote:EDIT: I have had a look at ten of that "Prima Guide" pages at Amazon. Now I do understand why nobody remembered about the guy who wrote it... no more comments...
The Prima Guide was written when Diablo was in beta. Of course, even then it still had some things wrong, basing information on what the developers said *should* happen vs what really happened.

If you look through all the Diablo patches from 1.00, the difference is pretty amazing. But unlike Jarulf's Bible, the Prima Guide's never been updated. TheCla has a page somewhere that lists the more hilarious things that the Prima Guide states as fact...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
LemmingofGlory,Mar 31 2003, 06:54 AM Wrote:I wonder why nobody ever asks, "Does that guy who wrote the Prima Guide still play?" *g*
Probably because they ask instead "Did the guy who wrote the Prima Guide ever play the game?" :D