D1 chatting
I was just wondering, does anyone know where I can find a chat client to use private channels? I've heard of them before, but I can't find any, and I don't even know if they are legal. :blink: Might there be some sort of useless yet vast tome of knowledge within the great minds of these Lurkers that might be able to answer my questions?
I knew it! You actually bothered to read this signiture!
Hail Geladrius,

They used to exist, but that was changed a while back: now they can only join public channle (or 'Public Chat ??' channels). I don't recall where to find one, but I assume that is not what you wanted anyways.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
:blink: I've been hailed? :unsure:
It's just a common greeting from us Diablo'ers!

I don't know about the channel part, currently.

I do have a slight imagination of the history of how it happened, though:

Maybe it's because of the account misuse back then when D2 hit it's peak time (right before the cheating began) I remember seeing tons of D1'ers all around the D2 channels. Blizzard obviously shunned out the old schoolers in favor of D2 then. So then some upcoming day I downloaded the patch, I knew why it said Diablo1 users are limited to public channels.
^^ oooh. Hail, then.

I think.

*shakes head* anywho, I knew D2 was up to no good! :angry: Oh well, can't argue with the logic...

P.S: I'm playing Diablo through a networked DSL connection. We do have a firewall. I can see everyone in the chat just fine, but when I try to play multiplayer the only person I can see/interact with in the game is the last person who joined. Also, my games are impossible to join. I think this might be because of the firewall not giving Diablo enough ports to transfer data packets, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
If you're looking for D1ers, try Diablo Retail DSF-1. You won't need a chat client. If someone asks "Who are you?" just say that you're new from the LL.

If you're looking for something else... Then you might need a chat client. But I don't know of any to recommend.

As to the reason why D1 is restricted to private channels, I believe it's been said the reason had to do with chat clients/bots. D1 doesn't have a CD-key other Bnet games do. Now, only one copy of the same CD-key can be in use at a time. Since D1 and the CD-key games both had the same freedom of movement, people would could login with scads of bots (which had no CD-key) to monitor their favorite channels - which were invariably private - while the person running the bot/s went off to play games (or even logoff). By restricting non-CDkey clients (Bots and D1) to public channels, they hoped to curtail the flood of bots since people couldn't use them to watch their favorite channels anymore. (That is, unless they had a bot (or chat client) that'd give Bnet a CD-key and let them have private channel priviliges. But even if they did that, the user couldn't have his bot logged in with the same CDkey of the game he wanted to use. )

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
I don't think people watching their favorite channels was the problem. I think the problem was people running bots in multiple channels to spam click-thrus and ad sites, ruining channels in an effort to make a few extra pennies each month. Anyone who made trips to the Void shortly before chat privilages were revoked there knows what I'm talking about.

Although, if that was the problem, then the solution was pretty lame: Public D1 channels can still be spammed just as easily (whereas private channels weren't subject to such problems anyway), and there remains no way to get normal chat clients and the Diablo clients into any type of channel together. What they were successful in, of course, was getting the spam bots out of the channels which had the most traffic and most new customers: D2 public channels in particular. Getting rid of D1 account numbers at the same time made the whole thing seem downright ridiculous, and is about the only major "issue" I have ever had with Blizzard (and still do, since it hasn't been resolved).
Well, You'd think, then, that they'd merely ban Diablo from using other game's public channels and just let us poor (considered) obsoletes who still play the best game ever use the private channels.
Quote:Anyone who made trips to the Void shortly before chat privilages were revoked there knows what I'm talking about.

I had always thought that this channel was made as a sort of "Do Not Disturb" channel...
Why were the chat privilages revoked, and why only that channel?
A plague of exploding high-fives.