Cow King Items
Just want to know if it's worth it for me to make a Holy Shock/Lightning Fury/Nova character to go cow hunting. Nothing fancy, just want his set items for testing stuff with. :P
*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Any of the hell bovines can drop items from that set, not just the king.
Ahh thank you Ruv. That was the piece of information I wanted. So I assume as long as I don't kill the King(not hard to do if I make a character whose main attack is lightning I guess), I should be able to keep doing runs till the cows come home? :P *ducks the flying tomatoes*
Do runs until you get a set of those boots! :) That's a weekend project since the set Heavy Boots can go either way on ya. But the War Hat and Studded Leather are quite common. I myself have 2 complete sets of that set, why I don't know, but I do! :P

As for what the Cow King drops? NO KING! NO KING! MAKE MAKE MAKE The other cows in the game can drop a higher TC, but because the good old king is a boss, he's worth trying for Boss bonus. He usually will drop a unique every 3-5 kills.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
I hated the nerf to the cow level. I remember back when you could open it infinite times, the King ALWAYS dropped a unique, etc. :_(

That being said, I would have liked to see the following in cow level:

Infinite openings(King or no King)
LOW Exp(And by low I mean the equivalent of zombies on the Blood Moor)
ANY Treasure Class(with bosses being SLIGHTLY skewed to drop at least a bit higher quality than the others), with "equal" chances for each(or something to that effect)

This would send the cow-runners back to the Bloody Foothills where they belong, leaving the way open for those of us die-hard players who just want to enjoy the sounds of the Moo-Moo Farm because we've come to expect that sort of humour from Blizzard(Stop poking me! Don't rock the
boat!*pukes* etc.)

In short, make the cows a place to go if you want to spend a few mindless hours running around with silly bipedal bovines brandishing bardiches in the hopes of striking the lottery.
AtomicKitKat,Mar 15 2003, 06:24 AM Wrote:I hated the nerf to the cow level. I remember back when you could open it infinite times, the King ALWAYS dropped a unique, etc. :_(
Um, unless I missed something, you used to be able to open the portal once, regardless of killing the king.

Technically, you can open the portal an infinite number of times now as long as you don't kill the big cow on campus. Or someone who already killed him does the deed.

The king never was guaranteed to drop a unique, AFAIK. He may have been similar to the act bosses in previous versions in that he would have an "uberdrop" the first time you killed him, but as I never did continuous cow runs, I may be wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience would know.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
That was the rawest install prior to patching, LoD, etc. Infinite openings, King always dropped something rare/set/unique Of course, the one I had was pirated so maybe there was something different in the genuine commercial version, but that was 1.00, prior to all the various nerfs. Back when you could spam spells, there were no stupid spell-timers, no lame immunities, bosses always dropped good stuff, and you could gamble for rares/sets/uniques with reasonable odds. Gawd I miss the old school stuff.
:_(
You can still HAVE the old school stuff. Just don't play on Bnet and reinstall your first version of the game and play SP! Maybe not as much fun, but at least you can relive those buggy times. I still have a 1.01 sitting around here somewhere (me thinks).

I have alot of cowing experience I'm ashamed to say, but not for MFing, just for ramping up my character development and for locating some raw materials I might be needing. I've been there and done that with the running through the whole game thing (done it many a time), and it's fun to experiment with different builds. Bloody Runs! Now, when 1.10 comes out, dust off your knowledge there cuz those thing will be making a comeback. I hope. I always preferred running to the Crystalline Passage over running around in a circle.

But, like all things, those days are behind us and I haven't seen anyone spam for a Bloody Run in over 2 weeks on East. Maybe I'm missing something. Wait, I need to get out of the Cow Channel. :)
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil