Best merc
I was wonderin what would be the best merc for an assassin who uses traps and combat skills. Everyone says it's the rogue but I'm not sure. Can you give me some advice? :blink:
You should say what skills you are using, and if this is a pvm or pvp build. (some duelers do not allow merc's although)

An act 2 nightmare offensive (might aura) would greatly augment tiger strike..if you used it. An act 2 norm/hell deffensive (defiance) would really help being that assassins do not have a % deffense boost.

An act 3 fire or cold merc are great if you do physical damage (the lighting ones have horrible damage), and if you chose these guys, make sure you chose the cold IF you do not use death sentry (spelling?), because that will take your courpses. If you do chose this guy, I would not suggest pumping skills in their gear, but building them deffensive wise (their skills top out at lvl 18, and they have no mastery to help them...they will always suck). If you are rich, then a "hel" sazabies cryptic redimer (sword), "hel" sazabies ghost libirator (armor), and "fal" basanit would give this guy an impressive life boost & run walk, which these guys seem to actualy use. Even more would be a -15% req. storm sheild, but thats only if your uber rich and really dont want this guy to die...

I would suggest the fire one, they have the highest damage output of any merc. (elemental wise). Their skill inferno is very powerful, the only reason people dont hear much of it is because it (and its close friend artic blast) have a horrible mana cost, but these guys dont require mana. (you should try this with a paladin that uses conviction, its really impressive)

Act 5 barbs will just get in your way, why would you want another tank when you have an equaly (better actualy) shadow?

You said the act 1's, they are nice, but for a hybrid class its kinda "ify." You need to remember that with your traps, you already have "artillry" backup, and their hose is just like another trap, (weaker..unless you get that merc up to the 80's {the hose damage scales with merc lvl}).

The only reason i would suggest them would be because of their hose, their normal damage isnt too great unless you throw on a wf (averages out to 600-3100), or an eagle horn (700-2400), but thats spending some major bucks. But again, their hose is nothing compared to a lighning sentry (spelling...).

Top cannidats:
pvp build = act 2 norm/hell deffensive or nm offensive
pvm build = a2 deffensive or act 3 fire (if you want to toy around)
Bones and tissue, tubes and fat!! All sustained by blood. Nothing more than a poorly tended machine. And look!! It has a brain!! Fueled by the blood that races heavily in times of grotesquely hightened desires and vices!! You can see the matter and feel the substance, but eyes and hands are useless for sensing the rot and filth of ideas that drip from these things!! ~JtHM~
The avatar some people at this forum really should have.
\--_=/? O_o?
Discaimer: Never made an assassin who uses MA and traps. I either Go MA or traps, so, this is a wild arse guess. For a Pure Trapper I prefer Act II Defensive so that Holy Freeze slows things down and keeps them in Trap Area of effect better.

Note: Shadow Master is awesome, and don't cost nuthin'. Pick whatever merc you like, and enjoy how Master takes care of your blind side, except for her annoying habit of Mind Blasting monsters RIGHT as you are about to kill them . . . hehe, she's got her own methods, and aint afraid to apply them! :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I pretty much agree wit Vamp.Goth here. Act 2 mercs are bloody good. Then again, it all depends on the build ur playing

In pvp, i'd suggest the act 2 norm/hell difficulty defensive guy, since i think he gets holy freeze (ponder)

Rogues don't really interest me, then again, that's my opinion.

Overall, i think the rogue is a good choice for your assassin, since i heard somewhere that if you give them several +skills items, their arrows get better graphics, and tonnes more damage. I just heard, not sure if it's true. :blink:
Black Lightning:
- Hell's thunder
- It'll strike anywhere
- It'll come down any time
- It'll hit ANYTHING...
(Run for the hills!Wink
An act 1 merc with +3 skills gets the infamous "lightning hose"

It's kind of like a lightning version of the inferno spell -- reaches about 1/3-1/2 screen, and does somewhere between insane and crazy damage.
$pringh33led_J@<k,Mar 20 2003, 09: Wrote:In pvp, i'd suggest the act 2 norm/hell difficulty defensive guy, since i think he gets holy freeze (ponder)
True, the lightning damge is scaled with the rouges clvl. I know theres some equiation to find the exact damage...but it has sliped my mind. {think...an "ohm" wf, etheral +1 zon .09 valor, and a .08 "cham" shako...insane physical damage & the bug ::drooling::}

back on topic; close $pringh33led, but its the nightmare ones that have holy freeze :P
Bones and tissue, tubes and fat!! All sustained by blood. Nothing more than a poorly tended machine. And look!! It has a brain!! Fueled by the blood that races heavily in times of grotesquely hightened desires and vices!! You can see the matter and feel the substance, but eyes and hands are useless for sensing the rot and filth of ideas that drip from these things!! ~JtHM~
The avatar some people at this forum really should have.
\--_=/? O_o?
Assassins have been noted as having very few party beneficial skils, their tank even casts cloak of darkness which most people dont' know how to work with, or is contrary to their build (like burrito zons look where they aim *anyways*) also, assasins can't really do insane damage to a pack of monsters in a hurry, they have a lot of trouble keeping a merc alive. A ranged merc, or a holyfreeze merc would proably be best... I personally don't care for *any* merc on an assassin. Oh yeah, of note, if your godly assassin amulet has teleport charges you could in theory just jump to your right to keep them alive, but assassins already use a TON of hotkeys so one more is you know... unfun.
-Saga_Keeper